Cycling is one form of exercise that the majority of people can participate in. Not only does it help you keep fit, it can also help with weight loss, stress reduction, and on top of that it gets you out into the fresh air. Recent statistics show that cycling is the third most popular activity in the United Kingdom, and bikes sales are now increasing year on year.
The good thing about cycling is that it can be done by almost anyone. Young children can ride a bike with the aid of stabilisers, and even the elderly and disabled can get involved. For older people who may find cycling difficult they can use a tandem bike, while the disabled such as paraplegics can use bikes with pedals that are operated by their hands.
Although a number of people will use an exercise bike, it is not the same as getting on a real bike and enjoying the environment and scenery. Below are a number of known benefits for people who cycle on a regular basis:
* Any exercise has a tiring effect on the body and this means that people often sleep better, which gives them more energy for the following day.
* Constant exercise helps to boost the immune system, and this helps to keep both mild and serious illnesses at bay.
* It can lengthen your lifespan due to being healthier.
* Many more people are doing their bit to help the planet, and by using a bicycle instead of a car it helps prevent more carbon gases going into the atmosphere.
* It has been shown again and again that exercise lowers the risk of heart disease and stroke.
* By getting on a bike you can get out of the city and into the countryside. This allows you to admire the natural wilderness of the country that very few city folk ever get to see.
* As cycling means that you are burning a lot of energy, that extra doughnut that you want won’t put weight on you.
* If you take kids cycling then you are helping them to a healthier lifestyle at an early age.
* People who exercise often have more willpower to do things.
* By going cycling with the family it can help strengthen bonds.
If you are looking for more information on cycling then there are lot of sites on the internet. One that is worth a visit is Bike360.