PDA

View Full Version : HELP.......internet explorer

simonkarios
25th September 2003, 19:24
Hi all...I have had this prob 4 the past two days....explorer keeps shutting for no apparant reason and without warning....also an associated prob is sometimes when i go to shut down a page it won't shut down either with clicking on 'x' or right click ..close.

Plse help as this is driving me mad!!!!! ;fire

Win2Win
25th September 2003, 20:04
First do a virus scan,

Secondly, go to the MS Update page and download all the fixes.

Thirdly, go to CONTROL PANEL>ADD/REMOVE and fix IE

Fourthly, come back here if it don't work....:)

simonkarios
25th September 2003, 22:10
Hi keith and thanks for info...am just working thru list..will come back if i need any further help....!

simonkarios
26th September 2003, 08:05
Keith/anybody!

I have done all of your suggestions and thought it seemed to have worked but alas no...

It just happened, i clicked on a name on win2win to see previous posts which obviously brings up a new page/link...now this wont close....

Help...again!!!....many thanks in advance

Win2Win
26th September 2003, 08:37
Are you using XP? Go back to a RESTORE point before it happened.

simonkarios
26th September 2003, 12:37
Keith....I ahve tried all your suggestions and the other thing that is slightly strange is that none of my restore points are working....?????

Win2Win
26th September 2003, 13:24
Bugger :doh

You can re-install XP that usually fixes most corrupt files, but you'll need to install all the MS downloads again, and some drivers.

Unless someone else can suggest something....

simonkarios
26th September 2003, 17:31
plse plse has anybody else got any ideas!!??
if i do have to re-install how do i save progs/favs etc...?
Is there any prog that identifies corrupt windows files? :doh ;fire

Win2Win
26th September 2003, 17:46
If you reinstall XP over the top of the one your using now, you still have all your data and programs, you won't lose anything apart from the MS fixes & the odd driver.

If you insert the XP disk their is a Fix routine on it that you can run on boot, but unless your a techie give it a miss, or search for further instructions on Google.

samantha1303
26th September 2003, 17:46
http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/2001-20-0.html?tag=zdfd.header5

This is the downloads page, sorry cant remember the name of the one I used when I havd a corrupt file I just read about them

simonkarios
26th September 2003, 17:54
many thanks Sam/Keith...sorry to be a pain

simonkarios
26th September 2003, 21:08
Hi all....thanks Keith and thanks Sam for email....what a bloody nightmare....znet and downlaod.com just wouldn't work!!
So i re-installed XP over the top of the original...

It gets worse...i then somehow ended up with virus' coming out of my ****!!!
including Lovsan and Nachi....
Think i might have got rid of them now but as to the original prob who knows...if prob continues will use that email Sam :doh :wink

simonkarios
27th September 2003, 06:29
Morning all....still no better bigc/Sam/Keith...have done all virus scans ..nothing found...all patches downloaded...and still the bloody things are here...am going to contact collegetech.... ;fire

GlosRFC
27th September 2003, 08:40
It sounds like something is causing the iexplore.exe process to crash. The commonest (non-viral) causes would be dodgy Active X modules or an incorrect Java compiler.
I'd check out Active X modules first...In Explorer go to > Tools > Internet Options > Temp Internet Files > Settings > View Objects. See if there's a module in there that you've downloaded recently and delete it. Alternatively, you can delete them all in turn and see if your problem is resolved. I'd recommend deleting them in reverse date order. Don't worry about deleting them as you'll be prompted to reinstall them as required when you visit websites that need them.

Secondly, in Explorer go to Tools > Internet Options > Advanced and check that you are running Microsoft JIT Compiler. I've heard that the updated Sun VM can cause problems.

simonkarios
27th September 2003, 09:33
Am at work til later but will try this later...many thanks...but this of course will not get rid of bloody viruses!!!! :wink

Littlewesty
27th September 2003, 09:55
Don't know if anyone has mentioned this but you also need to turn off 'system Restore' otherwise you will re-infect each time you reboot

simonkarios
27th September 2003, 10:05
thanks for your reply...but turn it off when i am doin what....!!?? running a patch....?

bigcumba
27th September 2003, 10:18
I think you need to turn off system restore when trying to get rid of the virus, they hide in there and that area is protected by Windows and can't be touched by the virus removal tools. Just remember to turn it back on when done :)

collegetech
27th September 2003, 10:31
Lovesan is part of the blaster worm virus, it is not sent via email, it infects ur PC through an xp hole u need to run the removal tool, and then patch xp from Microsofts site.

removal tool here.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/FixBlast.exe

how to use it here.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.removal.tool.html

patch here

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=2354406C-C5B6-44AC-9532-3DE40F69C074&displaylang=en

then u need a good virus scanner something like norton antivirus. and norton internet securitys which is a firewall and won't let them in.
hope this helps.

samantha1303
28th September 2003, 14:02
Hows it all going Simon?

simonkarios
28th September 2003, 14:07
Hi Sam....yeah up and running ok i think!!!!
I think the main prob was an error on my part in that i was doing all the relevent things but forgetting to turn System Restore off and hence it kept re-infecting as soon as i rebooted.
Many thanks for your help(and everybody else) at the end of a very trying week.At one stage nearly lost the plot and was going to lob it all in the bin!! :laugh :laugh