PDA

View Full Version : Which Laptop

coathupe
2nd November 2006, 00:27
Hi there, can anyone help me to decide on a decent laptop for the kids to use as one PC doesnt go into 3. They really enjoy web browsing & playing Sims 2 on there current Desktop, so I'm thinking laptop for Christmas ? I would be grateful for suggestions as i am still a novice with PC's:nutter

Jonny2621
2nd November 2006, 01:27
i have just got a new Macbook, it has an intel chip so will run both mac and pc software which is handy. The keyboard is to die for, its very fast and unlike most pcs, Macs are very reliable and easy to use and are far less vulnerable to viruses, happy hunting! :)

John
2nd November 2006, 02:23
Woohoo another Mac user! You and me versus the world Johnny boy. :D

vegyjones
2nd November 2006, 02:25
Mac's are so 1930's!

Win2Win
2nd November 2006, 09:31
......and are far less vulnerable to viruses, happy hunting! :)

Security issues have nothing to do with your general run of the mill email/web site virus (If you have your PC setup correctly you should never have a security problem). The Mac OS has more software holes than XP. They are also under powered compared to XP laptops for the price.

I'd even say wait until Jan/Feb when Windows Vista comes out, as the Kernel is more secure than than XP & MAC OS. Yes it will hwave security updates, but ALL software does, it is impossible these days to write any code the size it is bug free.

Myself & most of the folk on here use www.ajp.co.uk (http://www.ajp.co.uk) as you can customise to ensure you have the latest system, unlike buying ready built crap on the High Street like PC World, Currys, Mac's.......

If you really like the Mac OS that only 1% of Windows software is available, then you can run an emulator on for Mac OS on it, rather than the other way round. That way you get a more powerful system for your money. (You can also get themes to make XP/Vista look & work exactly like a Mac).

Jonny2621
2nd November 2006, 09:58
Woohoo another Mac user! You and me versus the world Johnny boy. :D

:Helooo

The new intel Mac is fantastic John, no need for a PC emulator, just boot into the Mc OS or Windows XP depending upon which software you wanna use. So i can use Illustrator, Quark and Photoshop on the Mac for work and then play champ manager 01/02 on the PC for fun just as quick as a normal PC. 2 computers in one!

Terrific stuff !

They're a cynical lot on here aren't they, the unbelievers ? :D

John
3rd November 2006, 00:41
Yes it's very fantastic, can't argue with you there! :D I bought the 20" model, and the display is simply amazing.

So i can use Illustrator, Quark and Photoshop on the Mac for work

Very intriguing that is Johnny - what do you do for a living? I use Illustrator quite a lot these days, and have a portfolio of my work, if a very small one, but don't have a website showcasing it as yet, I really should make one! Although I'd like to make the whole thing CSS compliant and I'm crap at learning code of any kind. Never been able to properly get my head around Photoshop - yes I can use it for retouching images and things but ask me to make something from scratch and I'm stumped. Used Quark just to put together a portfolio at work last year, nice little app, although it's quite odd the way it likes to do things.

I used BootCamp at the weekend to set my mac up and partition it accordingly. However I can't seem to select which OS I want to use before anything boots up, I have to boot up one or the other (the previous one I used) and then switch. Pressing the Option/Command at boot up doesn't seem to work for me.

But yeah you're right, two computers in one, I've hardly used Windows at all yet but will have to a little shortly as I'm using 3D Studio Max to do a little character animation assignment and it's Windows-based only.

Win2Win
3rd November 2006, 09:39
Illustrator ......so gay!!! :D ...What happened to pencil & paper :lickme

Jonny2621
3rd November 2006, 18:18
I'll ignore Keith's utterly disgraceful homophobic comment ..... :D

I have a small publishing business John, my skills on the those packages are very limited as these days Im only final editing and error checking or showing designs and concepts to customers, but I have to have all three running and be able to do some basic stuff. Its many years since i actually created anything and I doubt i could now.

Im installing bootcamp and xp this weelend so I can install Champ Manager 01/02 (still the best one) so if i have any problems I'll PM you for help! We're not big enough to have in-house IT so I often have to wing it. Luckily we rarely have problems with the macs.

Anyway Im writing this from Trowell services car park and I wanna get home so I'll catch you later. Given the rubbish state of Britain's roads these days I'll be online again next Tuesday ! :ermmm

cheers

presto
3rd November 2006, 18:22
normally i would say STICK WELL CLEAR OF PC WORLD - but i saw an advert the other week for a laptop for £300 which seemed a reasnoble (pretty cheap in fact) price.
havn't looked at the spec or anything though, so it might just be a pile of cack, but probably worth looking into.

mathare
3rd November 2006, 18:25
Why a laptop? Is it a space issue? If the kids enjoy doing what they do on the desktop why not get them a new desktop (or let them have the current one and get yourself a new machine)?

Win2Win
3rd November 2006, 18:38
normally i would say STICK WELL CLEAR OF PC WORLD - but i saw an advert the other week for a laptop for £300 which seemed a reasnoble (pretty cheap in fact) price.
havn't looked at the spec or anything though, so it might just be a pile of cack, but probably worth looking into.

For that price it'll be in the 'toy' bracket :wink

John
3rd November 2006, 18:51
Nice one Johnny, you at least sound as though you know what you're talking about, hope you don't mind me asking what kind of literature etc you publish? I'm very limited myself with Illustrator but I'm constantly trying to keep learning new things... following tutorials on the 'net etc is always a step in the right direction.

BootCamp is a doddle mate, you shouldn't have any problems with it. If you do though, feel free to drop me a message, although I'm going back to Grimsby tonight so won't have Internet access again until Monday (my parents STILL haven't bought a new PC/laptop, by the way, all!)

Have a good weekend, see you on the other side... :)

John
3rd November 2006, 18:53
Want to get back into playing CM... what's the ultra new version like? I know Mark plays it, he said it's pretty good...

GlosRFC
4th November 2006, 00:08
Leaving aside the merits of Windows v Mac, you say you want to buy a laptop because your kids enjoy browsing and playing games. Well, the first thing to consider is that, unless you're on a shared network, they won't both be able to browse at the same time.
Secondly, the graphics capabilities of laptops tend to be much lower than PC's so that they can squeeze the graphic cards inside the case. Although that shouldn't be a problem with Sims, it would be a problem with more high-powered games.
Thirdly, laptop screens are obviously fixed to the laptop keyboard. This means that you have to have the screen directly in front of you, and simple things like altering the keyboard angle become impossible, so correct seating and posture is more important. Especially with kids.
Fourthly, if one of your kids spills Pepsi on the keyboard, you'll need a new laptop. With a PC you just spend £15-£25 replacing the keyboard.

If you're the one planning on using the laptop then the last two points don't apply - providing you're more careful with soft drinks and don't mind sitting upright in front of the laptop. Otherwise I'd go along with Mathare's suggestion and get a new PC. But without a network, or separate access to the internet, you won't be able to browse at the same time with them.

coathupe
10th November 2006, 21:34
Cheers people for your thoughts on this matter. I have decided to scrap the laptop idea & go for a new desktop. Better value for money. Once again thanks.....