PDA

View Full Version : A formula for strike rate in excel

Jonny2621
30th March 2007, 16:24
Its me again (sorry Mat :peeky ) with another excel question....

I want to have a running calculation of strike rate in a spreadsheet where column F from starting with row 4, has 1 in it for a winner or is left blank for a losing bet.

Anyone able to guide me as to the formula to put in to show the running s/r ?

TIA

presto
30th March 2007, 16:29
what i do is have collum A named 'selection' (put a 1 for every selection i have) - and as you do have a collum F (win / lose) - 1 for a win.
then at the bottom of the spreadsheet i total up how many selections there have been (sum of collum a) and how many winners there have been (sum of collum F). - i then work out the SR form the total numbers of selections and winners.

Jonny2621
30th March 2007, 16:38
Thats an idea Presto, I can convert it reasonable easily to two colums, then even i can do the sum from there......yes even me :)

mathare
30th March 2007, 16:44
What you can do is for each row in column G is enter:
=sum(F$1:F[row])/(count(F$1:F[row])+counta(F$1:F[row]))

That assumes row 1 is the start of the data. If not, change it to 2, 3 or whatever. Enter the formula on the first row of your data (setting <row> to whatever the row number is) and you can then select many cells in column G and do Fill -> Down to fill the equation down into the selected cells. The equation will autoupdate [row] in each cell.

What it is doing is summing the number of winners and dividing by the number of cells (which itself is the number of cells containing data plus the number of cells which don't).

You can improve on this by making it:

=if(isblank(F[row]),"",sum(F$1:F[row])/(count(F$1:F[row])+counta(F$1:F[row])))

if you don't want the SR to display on a row that doesn't have a result filled in.

NB I haven't tested that formula for syntax but I am pretty sure it's either right or close to being right

Jonny2621
30th March 2007, 16:52
Am I the only one who doesn't understand all this ?? :D :splapme :yikes: :waver :lickme :helper

What you can do is for each row in column G is enter:
=sum(F$1:F[row])/(count(F$1:F[row])+counta(F$1:F[row]))

That assumes row 1 is the start of the data. If not, change it to 2, 3 or whatever. Enter the formula on the first row of your data (setting <row> to whatever the row number is) and you can then select many cells in column G and do Fill -> Down to fill the equation down into the selected cells. The equation will autoupdate [row] in each cell.

What it is doing is summing the number of winners and dividing by the number of cells (which itself is the number of cells containing data plus the number of cells which don't).

You can improve on this by making it:

=if(isblank(F[row]),"",sum(F$1:F[row])/(count(F$1:F[row])+counta(F$1:F[row])))

if you don't want the SR to display on a row that doesn't have a result filled in.

NB I haven't tested that formula for syntax but I am pretty sure it's either right or close to being right

mathare
30th March 2007, 16:57
Post your spreadsheet...

Jonny2621
30th March 2007, 17:00
I'll IM you Mat if I may, I seem to have achieved a 99% S/R......which is nice obviously

mathare
30th March 2007, 17:01
E-mail/PM me, yeah. I'll fix it for you. Although if you have got a 99&#37; SR system I may want the rules in return for my help :D

Jonny2621
30th March 2007, 17:03
E-mail/PM me, yeah. I'll fix it for you. Although if you have got a 99% SR system I may want the rules in return for my help :D

Rixxy charges £3000 a year doesnt he ? :D

MarcusMel
30th March 2007, 17:41
Assuming 1 is a winner and 0 is a loser and all other cells in the col are blank. Then it does not matter how many entries you have with the following.

=Sum(F(start row):F(65536))/Count(F(start row):F(65536))

Which is a lot easier than trying to count blank cells.

mathare
30th March 2007, 17:48
But that assumes 0 is a loser which is not what Jonny's s/sheet does at present.

And counting blank cells is easy. MS wrote a function to do it for you.

MarcusMel
30th March 2007, 17:56
Just saying it is easier. Filling in the blanks with zeros is easy too. If you want to be difficult and create formulas you later wonder what they are doing in them that is also fine.

In fact if you just record profit and loss you are also recording your winners and losers at the same time so if profit/loss was recorded in say colmn D you could do in Col F

=If(D4<0,0,if(D4>0,1,"No bet"))

mathare
30th March 2007, 18:41
I do it the other way round, let the result (won/lost) determine my profit

MarcusMel
30th March 2007, 19:12
Not always accurate as you get the occasional rule 4.

mathare
30th March 2007, 19:20
Not always accurate as you get the occasional rule 4.I check for them and update my odds accordingly

MarcusMel
31st March 2007, 00:47
You can find the odds you bet at by profit/stake both of which are easily available! So you dont need to check that either. All you need to know is the amount you won and stake. Keeps things simple in my opinion.

mathare
31st March 2007, 13:12
You can find the odds you bet at by profit/stake both of which are easily available! So you dont need to check that either. All you need to know is the amount you won and stake. Keeps things simple in my opinion.But to know the amount won on each bet means having the bookies/exchange site logged in and going through the accounts. My way means I can just use the SL pages to update my s/sheet and double check any R4s every few days or so.

Anyway, it's about what finding what works best for you. My way suits me, your way obviously suits you. There is no single right way of doing things