PDA

View Full Version : There Are A Lot Of Things To Do At Arundel

Win2Win Racing
25th July 2010, 22:50
Article removed by request.

mathare
25th July 2010, 22:58
I can see why this is in the RSS Sports section :doh

Crap like this is why I use this forum less these days. That and the fact I don't like the upgrade, actually. The forum isn't anywhere near as clear and user friendly as it used to be.

If only there was an upgrade that meant one could ignore the RSS user... :rolleyes:

bigcumba
26th July 2010, 00:10
The irony is that the one thing it doesn't mention is John Dunlop's stables are based in Arundel and he regularly has open days.. at least would have been relevant! I think a few folk have definitely disappeared lately - the Joint effort isn't even pulling in 10 folk and I wonder if that's happened since the update. I actually don't mind how it looks, I can find my way around easily, but I think folk less used to computers might find it not so clear..

mathare
26th July 2010, 09:25
I actually don't mind how it looks, I can find my way around easily, but I think folk less used to computers might find it not so clear..The list of new/unread posts is less clear than it was and that's my main way of navigating around the place. It's harder to tell at a glance what is new and what is worth me reading. Plus options such as viewing today's posts and subscribed threads are on a different tab to that that shows new posts so one has to select a new forum tab before the menu options are available. And I think this forum is slower than the old one too.

I've dropped off the JE threads because I keep missing them in the list of unread posts, quite frankly.

scoobydoo
26th July 2010, 10:02
The list of new/unread posts is less clear than it was and that's my main way of navigating around the place. It's harder to tell at a glance what is new and what is worth me reading. Plus options such as viewing today's posts and subscribed threads are on a different tab to that that shows new posts so one has to select a new forum tab before the menu options are available. And I think this forum is slower than the old one too.

I've dropped off the JE threads because I keep missing them in the list of unread posts, quite frankly.

I noticed that the JE had dropped off too, used to be 15 or 16 at least didnt there? I agree with you Mat on the unread posts, not as easy to spot at all. I don't know if it is me but forum seems slower at times too, maybe that is my problem though.

mathare
26th July 2010, 10:07
I don't know if it is me but forum seems slower at times too, maybe that is my problem though.No, I'm sure it's slower as well

scoobydoo
26th July 2010, 10:12
No, I'm sure it's slower as well

I wonder if it has something to do with that sidebar, even if you turn it off it still appears for a second when loading a page? :confused:

mathare
26th July 2010, 10:36
Could be, aye.

I could potentially live with the RSS posts if they were relevant (there have been a lot of poker ones recently and no-one on here seems to want to talk poker, for example), well-written ("This is not the only programme has been set around the castle as programmes such as The Madness Of King George." :doh) and not just feeble excuses for loads of keyword adverts (e.g. "So there you have it, get away from your web design job in that serviced offices Victoria office that you have and get out to Arundel for a really good time!" - yes, because this is a forum for Victoria-based web designers :headbange). If anyone else posted something like this they would be banned for spamming but because it's the RSS feed (duplicating content from Keith's other sites a lot of the time) it's allowed :ermmm

MattR
26th July 2010, 15:05
I agree with all the above, the rss really needs to be allowed to be ignored. I'm sure I'm not the only one's who's tried to add it to the ignore list. It just clutters up the unread posts lists making it difficult to see posts made by real people.

John
26th July 2010, 15:43
On every other website there is the OPTION to "subscribe via RSS" to pieces of information – whether it be to a blog, news bulletin, whatever it might be. Here, we simply aren't given the choice. Just like we weren't given the choice whether or not we wanted the upgrade. I didn't like the previous forum design that much but at least things were clear and I could easily see at-a-glance what I'd read and what I hadn't. Now it's taking far too long just to scan-read the 'new posts' page. I use the 'new posts' much in the same way as you it seems Mat: as a point for navigating the forum from.

In terms of speed, I can't say I've noticed any difference but then at home I'm using my landlord's connection anyway, so 'the Internet' is slow regardless. That'll all change next week though, I hope!

Win2Win
26th July 2010, 16:28
Well I can stop the feeds but all I'll do is rewrite most of the articles and add then to my username. :doh

mathare
26th July 2010, 17:11
Well I can stop the feeds but all I'll do is rewrite most of the articles and add then to my username. :dohThey are read by very few people and are blatant advertising that no other user on here could get away with. Do we really need them on the forum at all?

Win2Win
26th July 2010, 19:25
They bring in visitors which is the main point of everything on the site. However I do just test the new ones for a couple of weeks to see how they rank, if they aren't doing what they should then they are scrapped. I also haven't used the additional filter options in this version yet.

John
26th July 2010, 20:27
I also haven't used the additional filter options in this version yet.

"Make invisible" by any chance...?

Sorry Keith, I don't mean to have a pop, if that's how it seems. I just feel it's necessary to address these things. It seems a few of us collectively aren't happy with how a few of the forum features currently operate, and I guess we just want things to go back to how they were. I completely understand the point is to utilise RSS to attract new forum members but whether that is happening or not, if new folk that do arrive aren't actually posting and contributing then it makes little sense to keep the feeds. I wouldn't mind them at all if there was a way to stop them appearing in New Posts, but to my knowledge there isn't.

Win2Win
26th July 2010, 21:00
They get people to the site, not to post, that is not the point. If they don't do that, I drop them. Simple as. If 1 feed bring in 2 new people, multiply by 100's of feeds that is how getting folk in works for all sites... CONTENT. If the stats don't add up my end, I'll drop them and try others. I've been doing this long enough to know what works. The point of the forum is to put more content out there to be found by the search engines.

People stopped posting BEFORE the feeds first appeared, and since they have they bring in new visitors. Less than 3% of the 3000 daily visitors post on my Filipino forum, if they all posted it'd be a :censored: nightmare to run, so I supply content that brings people in.

MattR
26th July 2010, 21:22
Does WinRSS have to have moderator status? I guess so, but if not then those of us who wanted to could put him on the ignore list.

John
26th July 2010, 21:52
Points taken Keith. Can I stop Win2Win RSS from appearing in New Posts at all? Is this something you would mind looking into please?

mathare
26th July 2010, 22:06
I'm still not convinced. Other forums seem to manage without using RSS feeds to duplicate poorly-written content all over the shop and also seem to do without posts littered with tenuous keyword advertising.

Why attract people to a forum if they aren't going to participate anyway? If they want to read, and not join in the discussions, why not attract them to a separate site/area that is read-only. If they want to read and not speak then why not have an area for articles and direct them there?

Actually, talking of articles, what the hell are they in the context of this forum (New Articles etc) and how do they work? How do they differ from a normal forum post? I must have missed the user guide for this new forum :rolleyes:

This forum has gone downhill with fewer people posting in recent months. It could be slick and well-organised and attract the right class of member but I can't see that happening until 'silly' little details such as the welcome page are sorted out so it doesn't still say "Welcome to the YOUR FORUM TITLE forums" several weeks after the upgrade was made. :headbange

Win2Win
27th July 2010, 09:11
I'm still not convinced.
That's because they don't know SEO like I do and how to maximize it to get 'free' customers in.

I suppose when you say 'pooryl-written' then all your posts are exceptionally correct grammatically, context and spelling. I doubt it as even the BBC, and newspaper don't get it right.

Why attract people to a forum if they aren't going to participate anyway?
:doh Because they buy things.

Actually, talking of articles, what the hell are they in the context of this forum (New Articles etc) and how do they work?
Well if you haven't noticed I've been adding articles to the site for years, this new script just makes it easier instead of having to completely add news page, manually do the SEO, etc.

This forum has gone downhill with fewer people posting in recent months
Site visitor numbers have gone up which is the main point of the site.

"Welcome to the YOUR FORUM TITLE forums" several weeks after the upgrade was made
2 Weeks after the upgrade and I'm still working on it all as I had to start from scratch. It took about 6 weeks to do the other forum.

Win2Win
27th July 2010, 09:17
...and as Ada pointed out the other week, the majority of newbies have been 'scared' off with a kind of it's us (long term members) and them mentality.

See if you can add Win2WinRSS to your ignore list.

I've stopped 3 of the feeds as they have not produced the required stats.

I've seen plenty of other sites use RSS feeds, but they don't make it as obvious as I do, I decided to clearly mark them out by username.

mathare
27th July 2010, 10:04
I suppose when you say 'pooryl-written' then all your posts are exceptionally correct grammatically, context and spelling. I doubt it as even the BBC, and newspaper don't get it right.I said "poorly-written" - big difference, and a perfect example of what I was talking about. And my posts are over 99% correct when it comes to grammar and spelling, yes. I take care to write in proper English as I want to be understood.

:doh Because they buy things.By their very definition forums don't sell things. They are a discussion medium. Or are your visitors buying conversations? :anerikke:

Well if you haven't noticed I've been adding articles to the site for years, this new script just makes it easier instead of having to completely add news page, manually do the SEO, etc.None of which answers the questions I asked. How you can expect your moderators to keep spam away from the forum when the RSS feeds are full of it and we have no idea what these articles are, who can add them, whether we can/should moderate them etc. is beyond me.

Site visitor numbers have gone up which is the main point of the site.It may be the main point of it for you but I doubt it's the main point in the eyes of many others. Having many visitors is no good to the average forum user if they (the new visitors) don't post and don't contribute or when they do post they drag down the quality. The forum no longer has the vibe it used to have. Many threads die off far sooner than they used to (cf daily chatter, the decreasing interest in the joint effort) indicating a reduced level of involvement from the average user.

2 Weeks after the upgrade and I'm still working on it all as I had to start from scratch. It took about 6 weeks to do the other forum.Six weeks is a ridiculously long time to be working on an upgrade to a live forum. The forum title would be one of the first things I would change as it's on the welcome page that all visitors see and I would want my new traffic to know they are in the right place. It's common sense professionalism and branding. But you obviously know better so :icon_sorry:

mathare
27th July 2010, 10:07
Yes, but it doesn't make any significant difference. The threads still appear in the new posts list but the individual posts by the RSS user are hidden. No benefit on the surface of it then.

Win2Win
27th July 2010, 10:43
By their very definition forums don't sell things. They are a discussion medium. Or are your visitors buying conversations? :anerikke:
The forum is a part of the main site, and the main site is what runs the forum. Forums are a means of getting people in via search engines, as additional content.

None of which answers the questions I asked. How you can expect your moderators to keep spam away from the forum when the RSS feeds are full of it and we have no idea what these articles are, who can add them, whether we can/should moderate them etc. is beyond me.
I'd have thought that was blatantly obvious... anything posted by Win2Win isn't spam :doh

The forum no longer has the vibe it used to have.
That went about 2-3 years ago before the RSS feeds so you can't blame them.

Six weeks is a ridiculously long time to be working on an upgrade to a live forum.
Not when you've got my personal problems it isn't ;fire

mathare
27th July 2010, 10:53
The forum is a part of the main site, and the main site is what runs the forum. Forums are a means of getting people in via search engines, as additional content.[quote]And a separate site of read-only content or a blog to which the RSS feeds and advertising could be posted would be part of the main site and would get people in via search engines but would leave the forum free for discussions and not cluttered up.

[QUOTE]I'd have thought that was blatantly obvious... anything posted by Win2Win isn't spam :dohOne day I will get the information I want.

What is an article?
How is an article different from a normal forum thread/post?
Who can create articles?
Are they subject to the same moderation functions as the forum threads?

That went about 2-3 years ago before the RSS feeds so you can't blame them.I disagree entirely. The RSS feeds were introduced in September 2006 so you're saying the vibe went out of this forum around 6 years ago - rubbish! This forum was a vibrant community within the last year.

Not when you've got my personal problems it isn't ;firePersonal problems or otherwise, six weeks is a long time to spend on upgrading a live system as it disrupts the user experience during that period. Many of the changes may be small and subtle and go unnoticed by many users but the fact of the matter is the system is being changed for six weeks. Would it not have been possible to have run duplicates of the forum in parallel, one using the old style and another using the upgraded software (on a different URL) so that users can stick with the old forum until such time as the new one is fully configured and ready to go?

MattR
27th July 2010, 11:23
I disagree entirely. The RSS feeds were introduced in September 2006 so you're saying the vibe went out of this forum around 6 years ago - rubbish! This forum was a vibrant community within the last year.

Agreed Mat, the forum certainly was vibrant until probably the last 6 months or so. I was in Canada for 6 months and admittedly didn't get as much time to visit the forum as I'd have liked and certainly didn't contribute anywhere near as much as I have in the past. However I'd pop in from time to time and to be honest there were very few posts in comparison to previous times. There were your threads, Ada's comptetitions, Yerots betting threads and I think Mick's and not really much else (apart from Mr RSS :wink: ) A lot of the regulars seem to have disappeared or post infrequently these days and that's a sad thing as I've always found this a great forum, a fountain of betting knowledge and above all a really helpful community.

I also agree with the point that bringing visitors to the site is of little interest to the members if they are just coming to view and buy from links. I appreciate it's a business and that is necessary for Keith but ultimately posting is the lifeblood of the forum. I guess it's up to us all to post more and try to get the forum back to it's best.

John
27th July 2010, 11:26

Further to Mat's point, you can't, because Win2WinRSS is an administrator/moderator. Why a robot needs to have these privileges is anyone's guess.

Win2Win
27th July 2010, 12:07
Personal problems or otherwise, six weeks is a long time to spend on upgrading a live system as it disrupts the user experience during that period.

You'd better have a word with the BBC then on how to run their site as they've just done a major upgrade and have said it'll take months to get it right. That's how it all works... evolution on the fly, and the license does not allow duplicates hence I tested everything live on the other forum first but the setup for this one is different.

I've just done anthor upgrade for bug fixes and have 67 templates to fix.

What is an article?
You're not thick :doh

How is an article different from a normal forum thread/post?
See above :doh

Who can create articles?
Anyone who can click the CREATE ARTICLE button.. same as the CREATE THREAD & CREATE BLOG buttons.

Are they subject to the same moderation functions as the forum threads?
No unathorised spam as is the norm.

Win2Win
27th July 2010, 12:10
Posting has nothing to do with the RSS, the inbound visitors dropped in 2007 and spiralled down as Google took me from PR4 to PR2. It has taken this long to get it back to PR3 and visitors are picking up again. Since late 2008 I've spent about £12,000 of my own money keeping this site going, most other sites I knew from those days have gone.

As for personal problems Mat, my marriage and health come before ANYTHING else.

mathare
27th July 2010, 12:28
That's very helpful on the articles Keith, thank you. :rolleyes: One would have assumed that you would prefer your moderating team to be on the ball and familiar with the forum functions and thus able to help new users as well as police the site for unwanted spam but it seems that assumption is incorrect. Oh well. At least I know where I stand now.

Win2Win
27th July 2010, 12:32
No one has posted any articles, so nothing to do :doh

Feeds have been stripped down.

Your site name has been fixed - However it helps if these niggles are pointed out rather than just left then moaned about when an opportunity arises.

You should now be able to ignore Win2WinRSS

42 Templates to fix..... ran out of time today... something important I need to do....

mathare
27th July 2010, 12:34
Posting has nothing to do with the RSS, the inbound visitors dropped in 2007 and spiralled down as Google took me from PR4 to PR2. It has taken this long to get it back to PR3 and visitors are picking up again. Since late 2008 I've spent about £12,000 of my own money keeping this site going, most other sites I knew from those days have gone.Who said posting had anything to do with the RSS? I said the forum had gone downhill and lost a lot of regulars, you mentioned it was happening long before the RSS feeds came online and I disagreed. Not once did I say the RSS feeds were to blame. I think it's a number of factors, to be honest, and yes, RSS is one of them but there are many more. As for pumping £12,000 into the site over the past couple of years, I'd be interested as to why you have felt the need to do this but it's your business and you're obviously free to run it any way you see fit. Over the years I have offered constructive criticism to help improve the site and done more than my fair share to help out. I've put countless hours in to Auto-Sys for very little reward, often no reward at all in fact.

As for personal problems Mat, my marriage and health come before ANYTHING else.I'm not saying they don't. :doh

Win2Win
27th July 2010, 12:37
As for pumping £12,000 into the site over the past couple of years, I'd be interested as to why you have felt the need to do this but it's your business.

Because it was never started as a 'business'. I just had to go that route for tax reasons. The site when it was setup and for a few years later was paid for by me out of my gambling profits. It has, and always will be my way of putting something back, and that has always been the point of this site and the Filipino one. If they make some money to offset the costs fine, but not essential. I don't need any income from any of my sites to live on.

mathare
27th July 2010, 12:40
Agreed Mat, the forum certainly was vibrant until probably the last 6 months or so. A lot of the regulars seem to have disappeared or post infrequently these days and that's a sad thing as I've always found this a great forum, a fountain of betting knowledge and above all a really helpful community. I'm no longer updating some of my threads as it became a lot of work for little reward. This forum used to be a lot livelier with people sharing information and insight but it has largely been reduced to the same old faces doing what they have always done - me, Ada, Yerots, Piggy etc. Not that these threads aren't still valuable and the contributions welcomed but for me, there's only so long you can keep on putting in the effort and sharing your information when no-one else is really playing the game and doing their bit. The forum has been reduced to a couple of dozen active posters and that's about it these days.

I also agree with the point that bringing visitors to the site is of little interest to the members if they are just coming to view and buy from links. I appreciate it's a business and that is necessary for Keith but ultimately posting is the lifeblood of the forum. I guess it's up to us all to post more and try to get the forum back to it's best.You're right, posting is the lifeblood of any forum and as I said above the active part of the community is now very small here. Forums need quality content to encourage debate, discussion and contribution from lapsed members and new joiners but when your audience is small there is less incentive to give it your all so a downward spiral ensues.

Win2Win
27th July 2010, 14:07
I know you're all trying to help, so here's the offer. I'll stop the RSS feeds 100% if you all post a bit more :thumbs

MattR
27th July 2010, 14:32
Sounds a good deal to me :smile:

scoobydoo
27th July 2010, 14:35
Sounds a good deal to me :smile:

That is good for me, I can talk nonsense and get my post count up! :anerikke:

MattR
27th July 2010, 14:39
That is good for me, I can talk nonsense and get my post count up! :anerikke:

Is that you Vegy? :biggrin:

Win2Win