PDA

View Full Version : Controversial goal seals Man Utd win

Win2Win Racing
30th October 2010, 23:34
Nani scores a controversial second goal as Man Utd beat Tottenham 2-0 at Old Trafford.

More... (http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/9137317.stm)

scoobydoo
30th October 2010, 23:43
I am not having that...what was wrong with it?!:anerikke:

Win2Win
31st October 2010, 09:21
Hand ball by Nani for one :doh1: ..... bloody farce that was .... looked like the ref didn't have a clue what to do.

mathare
31st October 2010, 12:27
Just seen this on an ESPN replay of the match. A nudge on Nani as he entered the box, he goes down and grabs at the ball to try and force the ref's decision on a penalty. No penalty given but it wasn't clear whether the ref awarded Spurs a free kick as he should have done for the handball. Nani played to the whistle though so credit to him for that.

I expect the ref to get dropped for that though as he had his back to the incident and yet still gave the goal despite his linesman telling him not to :doh

scoobydoo
31st October 2010, 13:34
I thought it was a penalty, but then I would! The ref obviously didn't see Nani handball it or if he did, he gave Spurs the advantage. It was a silly goal...but if you are giving that in the premiership...you take it. Somewhat like Liverpool's not long ago when they thought the keeper had taken the free-kick...& nicked the ball to score!

Win2Win
31st October 2010, 16:47
...and don't forget the beach ball :laughitupsmilie:

vegyjones
31st October 2010, 18:02
Gomez had collected the ball so the referee did not award the freekick, as I am sure most referees would have done as most goalkeepers prefer to play from a free ball rather than from a spot kick.

It was Gomez' fault for then proceeding to throw the balll in preparation to kick it.

Once Nani had scored, the referee could not disallow it becuase he hadn't stopped play. His hand was forced no matter what the lassistant's opinion. (maybe the assistant thought it was a freekick and the referr had to explain that he hadn't in fact blown the whistle).

MattR
1st November 2010, 14:57
Just saw this on youtube as I didn't see the game. Looks like the ref just waved play on because Gomez picked the ball up. If he was stupid enough to put it back on the ground then that's his fault. Bit of a farce because of all the confusion but ultimately it was Gomez's mistake. Perhaps the ref should have blown the whistle when he saw Gomez put the ball down but he didn't. Either way Spurs didn't score in the game so it didn't alter the result.