PDA

View Full Version : Young quits over recession gaffe

Win2Win Racing
19th November 2010, 17:58
David Cameron's enterprise adviser Lord Young steps down following anger over his claim most Britons "had never had it so good".

More... (http://www.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/int/news/-/news/uk-politics-11798366)

Win2Win
20th November 2010, 11:23
Plonker or man who speaketh the truth? I say 50/50 as it depends on what situation you are currently in.

scoobydoo
20th November 2010, 12:51
Plonker or man who speaketh the truth? I say 50/50 as it depends on what situation you are currently in.
Probably the million or so people who will soon be losing their jobs will be more on the side of plonker Keith to tell the truth. :smile:
He is a disciple of Thatcher, nothing new in what he said...most think like him. :rolleyes:

lowe1
20th November 2010, 13:44
There is some truth in what Lord Young said since the recession mortgages have gone done, food is cheaper, cars are cheaper, you can go on holiday for £200 generally the cost of living is the best it's been for a long time, supermarkets are giving away food ect as he said a lot of the people complaining are the ones who think the govt should support them. I understand people have lost their job but for the majority of us the recession has been good. Though as you said Scooby the million who lose there jobs won't look at it this way but the only positive thing for them is that the recession has brought prices down in nearly everything and things would have been worse for them if they had lost their jobs before the recession when prices were high ( i hope you can see my way of thinking )

I put this on my facebook and one person who comented disagreeing with me i replied to him " you have been to Florida this year and go to watch Rangers from Liverpool most weekends so it can't be that bad )

I reckon if the people who think he is a fool for saying that stood back and looked at their own situation i bet the majority of them go out every weekend and have been on holiday this year. It surprises me how many people complain they are always skint and blaming the recession but are out drinking every Fri and Sat night and have a holiday every year AND LIVE ON CREDIT. I like to pay thinks of in cash rather than owe and i done this before i got the job i'm in now to many people are materialistic and want the best tv, iphone ect but complain when the govt cuts their social

Godspot
20th November 2010, 19:40
Silly thing to say really & far too soon to comment on the effects of the cuts but in a way he is right....

Today is always tomorrow's good old days - in 10-20 years time we'll all look back & say he was right but will we remember it was too soon during a Tory parliament to hold any real meaning? A good sound-byte for nostalgia, nothing more, imho.

We're only just starting out on a depression the likes we haven't seen since Victorian days - anyone read The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists? That's where we're heading & it's hardly begun.