PDA

View Full Version : Man Utd defender Neville retires

Win2Win Racing
2nd February 2011, 20:01
Manchester United defender Gary Neville announces his retirement.

More... (http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/9385692.stm)

Win2Win
3rd February 2011, 09:50
For no reason I can remember, I've never liked him or his brother :doh ..... I guess we'll be seeing much more of him on Sky now :doh1:

scoobydoo
3rd February 2011, 12:38
People didnt like him because he was Utd through and through. Utd fans love him, top player, much underrated. He could defend first and foremost...who mentioned Glen Johnson! :smile: Best English right-back for 20 years.

vegyjones
3rd February 2011, 23:51
I heard he was going to take over Solskjaer's job as reserve team boss. Any truth to that Scoobs?

scoobydoo
4th February 2011, 15:34
I heard he was going to take over Solskjaer's job as reserve team boss. Any truth to that Scoobs?

I'm not sure vegy, I think Utd want to keep him in some capacity but rumours are he is talking to Sky about a pundit job. I can't wait when he goes to Anfield...:laugh

Win2Win
5th February 2011, 10:59
Maybe Anfield can give him a free nose job :voodoo:

MattR
7th February 2011, 20:18
I've seen a lot of much more talented players 'live' than Gary Neville but I don't think I have seen a better defender in his prime and certainly not a right back. Impressed me every time I saw him at Fratton Park. Moaning, ref whinging git though :laugh

And yes Scooby, having seen Glen Johnson at first hand for a couple of seasons the defending isn't even a close comparison!

scoobydoo
8th February 2011, 13:32
Yes I think he got the best out of his ability didn't he.

Johnson seems to be better on his left foot doesn't he!:smile: He is a poor player imo, totally overrated.

MattR
8th February 2011, 14:26
Yeah, Neville epitomised what can be achieved with hard work and commitment I think. He was an intelligent player who read the game well. I think an example of the opposite of that is someone like Walcott who for me does not have a 'football brain' at all.

Johnson did really well for us but was always much better going forward, more of a right midfielder really or maybe a wing back. I don't think he's a defender that could be relied on for a top team really. I think in his last year with us he had the most assists and scored a few too but was often caught out defensively.