PDA

View Full Version : Newbury ponders rescheduled card

Win2Win Racing
14th February 2011, 10:50
Officials at Newbury racecourse are considering whether to rearrange Saturday's meeting which was abandoned after the deaths of two horses in the paddock area.

More... (http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/sport1/hi/other_sports/horse_racing/9396568.stm)

Win2Win
14th February 2011, 10:53
How Ireland have no problem moving meetings and yet here they can just about manage to 'think' about it :doh1:

Godspot
14th February 2011, 11:47
I think timing has a lot to do with it on this occasion - like they re-scheduled the King George meet OK but now we're getting too close to Chelters & that meet was one of the last that would enable a horse to still turn out fresh (30 days since last run) when it matter most...

They still haven't worked out what happened on Saturday & I can't see that being sorted by this Saturday - my guess says that meetings gone:mad:

Godspot
15th February 2011, 01:59
Totesport Trophy card rescheduled on Friday
http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-racing/newbury-new-friday-date-for-totesport-trophy-card/819115/top/

BY RACING POST STAFF 6:57PM 14 FEB 2011

NEWBURY'S Totesport Trophy card has been rescheduled for Friday pending satisfactory results from the two post mortems of the horses that died in the paddock before the first race on Saturday.

The rescheduled card will feature the Aon and Game Spirit Chases along with the Totesport Trophy, although all races will be run with less prize-money than on the original fixture.

Newbury managing director Stephen Higgins said: "It has been a difficult week so far for all involved with Saturday's traumatic events.

"Having received confirmation from Southern Electric Power Distribution that the paddock site is safe for both horses and people, we are confident that racing should resume.

"We have been in talks with the BHA and our sponsors the Tote and Aon, with regard to rescheduling the remaining races from Saturday's card and it is our intention for them to take place on Friday, 18 February."

Leading trainers and bookmakers had been keen for the meeting to be rearranged if Newbury passed safety checks with many Cheltenham Festival candidates engaged to run on the card.

Nicky Henderson: full support

PICTURE: Getty Images

Nicky Henderson, whose Kid Cassidy was the first horse to show signs of distress in the paddock on Saturday although he emerged unscathed, said: "I feel it's important that racing atthe course should resume and I wholeheartedly support Newbury's and the BHA's decision to restage the remaining races of last Saturday's fixture and we will be sending our intended runners from our stable to the course."

Trainer Paul Nicholls added: "We support 100 per cent the decision to race on Friday at Newbury and we will be sending our runners to this fixture."

The results of the post mortems on Fenix Two and Marching Song that were expected onMonday had earlier been delayed by the BHA who were awaiting the results of drug tests on the horses.

On Sunday, an electrical cable was dug up and removed by the SEB near to where the horses collapsed and died in the parade ring from suspected electrocution.

Entry details are to be announced on Tuesday.

Win2Win
15th February 2011, 11:03
Well done to those involved for rescheduling it. I wish it would happen more often in this country, especially when we lose meetings due to the weather.