PDA

View Full Version : Barcelona too good for 10-man Arsenal

Win2Win Racing
9th March 2011, 03:30
Ten-man Arsenal again succumb to Barcelona, with Lionel Messi scoring twice as the Catalan outfit win their Champions League tie 3-1 on the night and 4-3 on aggregate.

More... (http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/sport1/hi/football/europe/9416255.stm)

Win2Win
9th March 2011, 10:00
Arsenal didn't even put up a fight regardless of the cockup the ref made, they were on the ropes for all 90 mins.

scoobydoo
9th March 2011, 13:33
They were battered, just as most teams will be by Barca this season.

Laf
9th March 2011, 14:47
The stats from last nights game are almost unbelievable. Barca had 76% possession, made 724 passes to Arsenal's 199. Arsenal didn't have a shot on goal. That said, if Bendtner doesn't make a mess of his chance late on the outcome could be so different.

scoobydoo
9th March 2011, 15:07
The stats from last nights game are almost unbelievable. Barca had 76% possession, made 724 passes to Arsenal's 199. Arsenal didn't have a shot on goal. That said, if Bendtner doesn't make a mess of his chance late on the outcome could be so different.

Totally agree, if Bendtner was as good as he thinks he is, they would have gone through. Sending off was harsh too, he wouldnt have sent off Messi, Villa for a similar offence imo. Ref was a homer and didnt give Arsenal much at all...& I am no Arsenal fan. Having said all that, over the 2 legs, Barcelona were far superior.

Laf
9th March 2011, 16:47
Ref was poor alright. It seems to be the case with nearly every match I watch these days. You're right though, Barcelona were the best team by a mile. They make it look so easy at times.

yerotsluap
9th March 2011, 19:07
The ref was bad but what seems to have been missed is he was bad for both sides. Messi should have had at least a free kick on edge of area if not penalty for the foul by Diaby. Van Persie could have been booked before he was when he just stood on Messi's ankle and koscielny can probably count himself lucky not to get a second yellow card for giving away the penalty.

MattR
11th March 2011, 22:04
To be fair Bendtner does play the one touch football that Arsenal are renowned for. Although it's only because it's so bad he rarely gets a second. I think I can compare him to Ibrahimovic in the thinking I'm better than I am stakes, although at least Ibrahimovic does have some ability.

scoobydoo
12th March 2011, 13:13
I think Martin O'Neill always didnt rate Ibrahimovic-God knows what he things of Bendtner then!! Not good enough for them, he should have followed Larsson when he went to Birmingham...might have had a medal too now! :laugh

MattR
12th March 2011, 15:47
:biggrin:

Been very impressed with Wilshere in these games, it seems the loan spell with Bolton really brought him on last year and he didn't look out of place on that stage at all. Finally a creative English midfielder!

scoobydoo
12th March 2011, 16:45
I agree, bit depressing that Guardiola says they have loads of players like Wilshere in his B team but one is better than nothing for us! I honestly think he could be world class though, its difficult as potential does not always guarantee results but so far, he looks classy.