Cookie Policy: This web site uses cookies. By using this site you agree to our cookie policy.
Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to the T&C. This is an information forum, and it is just that information, all views are of the individual poster and not that of the site owner. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material without the owners permission. If you copy news or articles include a link back to the original site. Threads/Posts may be deleted on request. No other links without permission.
BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION: Your question has probably been asked before, so please use the
SEARCH FUNCTION, as we grow tired of answering the same question again and again.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help im new to this horse racing

dances is offline Win2Win Racing Club Member

Unhappy help im new to this horse racing

hello people ive been viewing this site nw for a couple of days and i think its fantastic. all people here seem genuine and honest and good craic. im from ireland by the way. . anyway ive been haveing some winners with this site and sports love radio and also off my own back, thing is i never seem to get anywhere with the winners lol
    i have a bank at start of day and even if i had 5 winners all day my bank always seems to be under or the same as i start off with. i would like some information and guidance about how to train myself in betting. i seem to have a pattern of backing one horse in a race that i like then backing 2 or 3 others that people fancy sure one of them is bound to come in but it only pays back waht ive bet anyway. am i makeing senselol. i will try paste a bet statment from my paddypower account for you to review. thanks a lot . confused,

please give some advice pleassssssssssssss

Don't follow Vegy's tips.

Read some of the forum there is plenty of advice here.

Keep a log of all your bets, it may show where you are going wrong e.g backing to many a race

Cut down on the number of races you bet on, if you bet on every race your very very unlikely to make a profit, not even pros can do it.

Well its hard to know where to start. First off you need to ensure your bank can last 6 months or a year. Ive made no profit from gambling for three months now but Im still way up for the year. If it was judged on short term success we would all be failures. You need to judge yourself ove a year. So that means a small bank with small bets sticking to the same methods for a good length of time. Its the only way you can find out if you can make money or not.

It is not the cards you are dealt but what you do with them that counts

I may as well step up for a change. Firstly ask yourself if you have the discipline to watch 6 races in a day without betting on any of them. If the answer is honestly yes, then you might do well out of this game. For many, inclunding me, I love to watch horse racing and in particular, great horses with lots of heart and determination. I only have 2-3 bets a week. You will notice that unlike almost everyone else, I'm not a member of the win2win service. This is simply a time thing at the moment, but if you are serious about making money from horse racing you should give it a go. It will teach you how stop giving money to bookmakers (and give it to other people instead :D) and also what races are best to avoid and what races are best for value etc. More importantly it will introduce you to a world of banks and staking systems, this is for your benefit and is essential for making a profit and keeping the whole thing stable.

There are many knowledgeable people on here who will be more than happy to help you, as long as you can help yourself along the way.

thanks guys it all helps yes like today for instance i think i backed nearly every race today . nearly 3 horses in a lot of them an i only bet like 2 euro each way or 0.5 cent is my minimum bet. i was down near end of my bank of 100 euros when i decided to take a break so i backed salamanco jamie spencer horse and i put 5 euro each way at 10/1 lovely i said . when i got back i sat down and said rite no more bets unless u are very sure but sure i was sure of 3 horses in the next 3 races lol.

If you bet on every race you will lose unless you are spectacularly good.

by the way i appreciate all the advice guys and i would agree i need disipline. then again i have it in other rspect or mayb complete stupidity . i was in work yesterday am an electrician when a pal said his dad had just rang him with a tip from listowel called manor lawn his dad was with christy o donoughe a trainer anyway that was the tip he told me and asked me to put 50 eachway for him at the bookmakers i did but i only put 10 each way myself thinking 50 each way was a lot . for this horse well i was happy it won at 6/1 morning price but sick i didnt put 50 eachway lol

nw also how does the lay work . if i fancy a horse to loose and its say 8/11 on do i then say il bet 5 euro it dont win ?????

Why are you sick? You made 75 profit!

Thats the kind of thinking you have to change. You risked a sensible amount on a 6/1 shot because you obviously was only going on a tip. If you had bunged 50 on and won you would have got lucky but luck dont last when gambling. Factor in all the bad stuff and then get your stake worked out from that, then you will not NEED a horse to win, just WANT it to win :)

zomby is offline Win2Win Racing Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by sportingprofit
    isn't that sticky material..

I meant forum sticky, not err...oh nevermind.. :)

Only joking Vegy, I laugh at your posts daily.

I knew if I came up with a proposterous solution that had a blatant disregard for the facts and defied all logic, then told it in flashback. It would be true

Duckman

yes very true i do need to adopt a change and respect the sport . ive got 21 euro in my bank nw and i hope to not go bust so tomorrow i will have only two bets i will study the cards in a bit and with the help of this site hope to be successful just got to remember two bets even if i think 7 horses have good chances tomorrow just 2 will i back. i get annyd though when i fancy a horse and dont back him and wins lol

Well with 21 euros you could always limit yourself to 50 cents a bet. That way if you see 7 winners you can bet them, but they have to be horses you genuinely think can win not just because you fancy a bet in a race.

one more question guys im an electrician and i gtta work everyday so i dont get to my pc till the evening which means ny bets gtta be placed the night before . anyhw my account with padypowers dont do prices the night before so i always gtta back the horses at sp thats sometimes good for a drifter but more often than not they are backed rite in ??? any suggestions. i cant open an account with any1 else at the moment cause i maxed my credit card during summer lol. had a great time though senn egypt and alicante

oh ye i got no replys on the lays im not sure hw it works if i fancy a horse to loose at 8/11 on do i say to some1 i bet a fiver its not going to win? ruby walsh and fallon have had some real short price favourites turned over in the last few days . ruby is haveing a bad spell take note . 3 places today in marketrasen when the money was down.

A lay is the same as a back just reverse the odds! so if you lay a horse for £5 at 8/11 its like backing a horse at 11/8.

I don't think you've listened to all this. You seem to need a bet everyday. My advice would be to watch the races tomorrow, don't bet and paper trade what you would of bet for a few days/weeks. Log your results and see how you would of done
    ------------------------
    Lays work where you bet against the horse so if a horse is 8/11 you effectively get 11/8, 5/1 you only get 1/5.

You usually get worse odds than what the bookie would get though as you have to use the exchanges and those odds are usually 20% higher, so a 5/1 shot would probably be 6/1 on the exchanges.

i get it and is there a limit then to wat people stake to me like if i lay it for a fiver do people say il take 50 for it to win could i get an example with an out come if possible please
    my two bets tomorrow ashdown express 3.45 newmarket and spring jimin 4.20.
    i also like doumoni in 2 oclock nm and king majesty in4.55 nm
    quince in4.10musslbor kirkbys treasure in 3.35

i am listening realy . and i appreciate you takeing the time to reply i gtta ween myself off the bets though il just back those first 2. and c on paper how the rest get on.

he who dares wins

Best advise i can give you is read up on this site. Most questions were answered around and a lot of good advise dished out by members. People here are great at helping as long as you listen and learn. Spend some time looking through posts that new members asked before and decide whether you have the disipline to gamble. No punter gets rich overnight.
    Good luck!

I tend to lay to £25, so for the following odds I would make this much profit or lose £25.

10/1 = £2.5
    9/1 = £2.78
    13/2 = £3.85
    5/1 = £5
    7/2 = £7.14
    2/1 = £12.50
    11/8 = £18.18
    4/6 = £37.50
    1/3 = £75

It is not east to profit from laying.

Quote Originally Posted by sportingprofit
    I can 2nd, or 3rd that! Ooo

The Vegster!

Winner of Ada's Eurovision Game 2014

wb is offline Win2Win Racing Club Member

Hi dances. welcome to the forum :) nice to see some other Irish people here!

I wont offer any advice on laying, because i'm only at it a week (I also made some stupid mistakes today by not listening to the advice of more experienced members. I was having a bad day :( )

anyway,
    as regards backing, i have been doing ok. Read as much as you can on the forum before jumping in. you are right - the forum is fantastic and everyone has been more than helpful to me over the last few weeks. accept the fact that you are not going to make a lot of money quickly - and keep your bets to about 50 cent for the moment or else paper trade. keep asking questions on the forum - the other members are great and there is a lot to be learned here

I know your credit card is maxed out but it would be worth putting a couple of quid into it and getting the 48 hour members access. there is fantastic advice on staking there. it is worth the money for the advice given alone, but you will also get to see the members bets(it works out at about 6 euro)

also, you should consider opening a betfair account. Even if you dont want to lay, the odds are better than paddypower 90% of the time. also you can get prices the night before.

hope this helps.

Tada gan iarracht

Don't follow Tommo :D

FREE Live Odds Comparison Software

Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Filipino UK Filipino Forum | Win2Win Racing - Free Tips

thanx guys that does semm to be the way to go il pay credit card in the week an join up asap lokking forward to some good winter studying lol and plenty of winners not lucking to get rich quick but eventualy lol and i love the thrill of a race and a win sometimes i bet like 50 cent win on 5/4 just so ican c the win on paper lol

Only join if your willing to take betting seriously....as in....it must be run like a business, and treat it as such....lone bonus though...it's TAX FREE :D

FREE Live Odds Comparison Software

Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Filipino UK Filipino Forum | Win2Win Racing - Free Tips

on my honour and with the grace of god .
    i swear by the holy bible .lol only jokeing i do take it serious like i said id like to c a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by tophatter
    If it was judged on short term success we would all be failures.
    Very true indeed. With horse-racing (as with most other commercial enterprises and many non-commercial ones too!) almost everyone overestimates what they can achieve quickly, but underestimates what they can achieve slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto
    Very true indeed. With horse-racing (as with most other commercial enterprises and many non-commercial ones too!) almost everyone overestimates what they can achieve quickly, but underestimates what they can achieve slowly.
    I like that way of looking at it Roberto.

The shame of it is you can bet there are many people who may have found a good system but through poor staking or impatience have consigned it to the loser bin before its even had a chance.

People look at it back to front. If you are system betting for example all you have to determine is does a system long term make or lose money. If it makes money, even by just one point a year, then its a winner.

If someone gave me 10 grand and said I could only use that on one system and then gave me two systems - one was showing 30 points profit over three months and the other was showing 5 points profit a year over 10 years I would use the latter system.

That is how simple system betting is. People do the hard work finding the systems and then bin them as soon as the going gets tough. They will then throw everything on a three week wonder and scratch their heads why things dont workout for them two or three months down the line.

System betting takes the human error out. It means you can work on stats and the great thing about horseracing is its full of those. If it has profited for several years even if ut starts failing it aint going to go from profit to minus 100 points in one year.

I love it, I get more excited by system betting every day I gamble and I have lost nearly two grand today so that says something!

Thread Information