Cookie Policy: This web site uses cookies. By using this site you agree to our cookie policy.
Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to the T&C. This is an information forum, and it is just that information, all views are of the individual poster and not that of the site owner. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material without the owners permission. If you copy news or articles include a link back to the original site. Threads/Posts may be deleted on request. No other links without permission.
BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION: Your question has probably been asked before, so please use the
SEARCH FUNCTION, as we grow tired of answering the same question again and again.

Thread: RAM Upgrade

RAM Upgrade

I'm running a self-built system with an Abit NF7 mobo which will support up to 3GB of DDR RAM. It's currently got one 512MB DDR PC2700 333MHz module in there but if I want to upgrade do you still need to pair RAM modules? Do I need to get a matching buddy for the one I have or could I just stick another 1GB of RAM in as long as it is PC2700 and 333MHz?

As far as I'm aware, you can pair up different volumes of RAM as long as it's the same type, so you should be ok to add the extra gig on top of what you've already got. Best to double check with someone who knows more about it though. :)

Please take a look at:
    My Photostream on Flickr

I don't think you need to pair them up like you did in the good old days, so you should be fine with the 1Gb. My own laptop has 384Mb in as a 256 and a 128 (it's 3 and a half years old now!) so if it was OK then it should be OK now.

My keyboard's running out of ink....

Cheers fellas :)

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/list...=NF7&submit=Go

zomby is offline Win2Win Racing Club Member

you only need to "pair them up" (two ram modules exactly the same manufacturer specs) if you want Dual Channel capabilities.

There's no problem getting a 1GB module to chuck in the case that runs at the same speeds as your your 512Mb module, you just won't get Dual Channel Capabilities out of the RAM.

err, I think

I knew if I came up with a proposterous solution that had a blatant disregard for the facts and defied all logic, then told it in flashback. It would be true

Duckman

Thanks BigC

I think the parts are cheaper from Ebuyer (£26 ex VAT for another 512MB exactly the same as I installed before) but that Crucial page proves I don't have to pair as it's 3 banks of 1

Super :)

Now, will an extra 512MB be enough or should I go the extra gig?

Go the extra gig, else at some point you'll be running slowly with the extra 512 module and you'll wish you had gone higher!

My PC needs upgrading, but I'm not sure I can bothered to do it. It's 3 years old - 2.0GHz, 80Gb HDD, 512Mb RAM of which 448Mb is available (the other 64Mb is used for the on-board graphics card - not a problem as I'm no big gamer). Only thing is, not sure if you can buy SD RAM any more. I'd need DDR RAM and for that to happen I'd need a new mobo, not really worth upgrading, might as well just buy a new PC at some point. Or a MAC. :D

Please take a look at:
    My Photostream on Flickr

I thought you'd probably get them cheaper elsewhere, Crucial were the ones that stuck in my mind as having a useful website - the power of advertising!

Check your mobo manual (find it online if needs be) - some need the memory slots populated in the right order (usually 0,2,1,3) to work correctly.

I've got two pairs of goldplated 512MB dual ram in mine, don't know why they plate it, you can't see the bloody thing

FREE Live Odds Comparison Software

Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Filipino UK Filipino Forum | Win2Win Racing - Free Tips

Disappointed in you Keith - I expected some sheep joke with this being a thread on RAM

I wouldn't DIP that low and rub your face in the GRASS...

While we're on the subject, where abouts does RAM sit, and does it clearly say whether it's this PC2700 type or other? As I want to upgrade too but I've never really had a good look inside.

zomby is offline Win2Win Racing Club Member

the ram is usually in the top right of your motherboard..just to the right of your processor (the thingy with the fan on top of it). Most ram has a sticker on it that'll tell you what type it is, but at the very worst you can find the make/model of your motherboard then check on the net to find out which type of RAM your motherboard will accept.

If you're not sure where the ram is, look for something similar to this on your motherboard:

http://www.servicioalpc.com/images/RamDIMM.jpg

I knew if I came up with a proposterous solution that had a blatant disregard for the facts and defied all logic, then told it in flashback. It would be true

Duckman

Quote Originally Posted by Profit Seeker
    While we're on the subject, where abouts does RAM sit, and does it clearly say whether it's this PC2700 type or other? As I want to upgrade too but I've never really had a good look inside.
    If you go to the crucial site mentioned above, they have a wee tool you can use to determine what motherboard you have and therefore what type of RAM you need.

RAM sits in the memory slots on the motherboard. You'll have 1 or 2 sticks about 4 inches long (no jokes please) sat in dark plastic holders with white clips at each end. On each stick will be stuck a row of chips, probably chips on both sides of the stick. That's your memory.

It ought to say on it somewhere what size, type and speed it is, probably on a little sticker somewhere.

However, DO NOT open your PC up and play with it unless you know what you are doing and even if you do wear an anti-static wriststrap at least.

I think there are memory scanners about that can tell you what is in your system. But to upgrade you need to know your motherboard spec (make, model, max. capacity). Some sites allow you to pick a known PC brand and model number and they work out the mobo details from that. But if it's a custom-built one you need to know your own mobo details.

Thanks.

Righ tells me I can use either PC2100 or PC2700, says nothing about mhz though. Think I need the same as Mat. So you just plug in some new RAM then does anything happen when you reboot or will everything just now operate faster?

I spaced to early

Right it tells me I can use either PC2100 or PC2700, says nothing about mhz though. Think I need the same as Mat. So you just plug in some new RAM then does anything happen when you reboot or will everything just now operate faster?
    Get PC2700 (it'll be 333Mhz I think) if you can afford it. It should only be a couple of quid more expensive than the PC2100.

Power down, open her up, install the new RAM and power back on. You may get some beeping on start-up and need to accept changes to the BIOS saying you have more RAM. Then again you might not. Worth going into the BIOS on start-up first time after installing the RAM to make sure the BIOS says what you expect it to

The thought of PS fiddling with his BIOS just has me all a quiver.

Hey! I'm no stranger to BIOSing I'll have you know :D

Amateurs shouldn't be left alone in the BIOS, it's a bit like nipping out to the toilet in the nursery and leaving Gary Glitter in charge

I'm on ebay now looking to get 256mb DDR, but am worried about the Mhz of it all. That crucial site says what I have but doesn't mention Mhz. I know I need PC2700, but some say 400mhz, others 333mhz, does it matter?

Yes....although if you buy the higher mhz, it will only run at the speed your motherboard can handle, but best to get the correct one in the first place. Also make sure the number of pins is correct.

Thanks.

Thread Information