Cookie Policy: This web site uses cookies. By using this site you agree to our cookie policy.
Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to the T&C. This is an information forum, and it is just that information, all views are of the individual poster and not that of the site owner. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material without the owners permission. If you copy news or articles include a link back to the original site. Threads/Posts may be deleted on request. No other links without permission.
BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION: Your question has probably been asked before, so please use the
SEARCH FUNCTION, as we grow tired of answering the same question again and again.

Thread: Recent albums

Recent albums

What recent albums have you bought recently and what do you think of them? Here's a few I've laid my hands on and some brief thoughts:

Killers - Sam's Town
    I have to say I'm impressed with this fine effort from the Vegas boys, they've pulled off a good follow up to their debut album; Hot Fuss. Tracks that really catch my eye are Bling (Confessions of a King), For Reasons Unknown and This River Is Wild. Not so keen on their single, 'When We Were Young' but that wasn't going to stop me rushing to the record store the day this was released.

Fratellis - Costello Music
    A daringly cool and sassy album that seems to have landed on the big scene from nowhere. In some places sounds similar to some early Strokes stuff, some very raw guitar yet some funny and humourous lyrics to boot. Definitely worth adding to your collection.

Jet - Shine On
    As mentioned in another thread, a great album. I'm writing this on the third listen, so can't comment too much about it but just go out out and buy it especially if you liked their first album. Loosely sounds rather some slow Oasis songs in places (try track 8 - Come On, Come On), which in my opinion is a very good thing!

Matt Costa - Songs We Sing
    Supported Jack Johnson when I went to see him at Hammersmith. Lovely voice, lovely melodic sounds and some great vocal escalatoring to boot. I can't stop listening to track 2 - Astair... truely beautiful... even if you don't buy this, get hold of Astair... gorgeous.

Kasabian - Empire
    Not being a major K fan I wasn't going to get the follow up to their self-titled album, but I heard it round a friend's house and there was no stopping me after that. Love their single and love track 8 - 'Shoot The Runner'. Think they're touring with the Fratellis in December so might try for tickets unless I'm too late already... Edit: Have realised my mistake - Track 8 is Stuntman, that's what I meant to say!

Please take a look at:
    My Photostream on Flickr

lowe1 is offline Win2Win Racing Club Member

john

got the killers album myself yesterday and i also thought it was a mighty fine second album.

i reccomend you go ot asap and by the new ordinary boys new album cant et enough of it at the minute top class music

ive also had to get all the spiritualized albumss again as some pinched them from my airport baggage along with my digi cam in some tinpot airport in saudi

tony

Iron Maiden - A Matter of Life and Death
    Bloody briliant, average song length is 7 minutes :D ...... those radio station 3 minute limits!

FREE Live Odds Comparison Software

Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Filipino UK Filipino Forum | Win2Win Racing - Free Tips

lowe1 is offline Win2Win Racing Club Member

i downloaded the first album killer the other week what a classic record takes me back to my long hair days when i was 18

I thought this thread was about the great band called Recent!

The Vegster!

Winner of Ada's Eurovision Game 2014

I got two albums yesterday but have not had a chance to listen to them yet

Stadium Arcadia by the Red Hot Chilli Peppers

&

Empire by Kasabian

I like the sound of 'Shoot the Frontrunner' John :D

Frontrunner

A BAD DAY AT THE RACES IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAT AT WORK.

agree with most reccomended on this thread killers, kasabian, ordinary boys etc but a few more well worth a listen are zutons - tired of hanging around, nerrina pallot - fires and the automatic - not excepted anywhere

I have an impressive bank of knowledge and experience. Unfortunately, I've lost the combination to this bank.

New Motorhead and Iron Maiden were my last 2 buys... like Keith I'd say the Maiden album is a classic, quite possibly the best they've ever done! The Motorhead album is a grower.... some instant classic songs and a few that might take a few more listens, but should go down a storm live. There you go, 2 bands that have been around 30 years still producing the goods!

My keyboard's running out of ink....

Quote Originally Posted by bigcumba View Post
    2 bands that have been around 30 years still producing the goods!
    Too right, and I don't think any bands that start up these days will be able to stay the distance of those two, or others such as REM, U2, Oasis, Chili Peppers, Meat Loaf, Queen, etc. Music is too competitive now for that. I don't think we'll be seeing The Killers or The Arctic Monkeys in 30 years time. :(

Please take a look at:
    My Photostream on Flickr

I notice Albert Hammond Jr from The Strokes has released a solo album - 'Yours to Keep.' Be interesting to find out what it's like, and also his reasons for doing it. Hope The Strokes aren't thinking of splitting up, even if their latest album was in my opinion quite poor... maybe he has gone off on his own and fancies a new pursuit.

Please take a look at:
    My Photostream on Flickr

Razorlight - Razorlight - just as good as their first album and America is a classic track.

Placebo - Meds - a truly fantastic album throughout.

Keane - Under the iron sea - not a patch on their first album although Nothing In My Way is addictive I love that song

I'm about to buy -

Mercury Rev - Stillness Breathes - a 2 cd set of their earlier stuff, b.sides and rarities.

Mercury Rev - Hello Blackbird - the soundtrack from the film Bye Bye Blackbird which has just been released.

My Chemical Romance - Black Parade their single Welcome to the Black Parade is superb .( See Music Thread )

'SOULMATES NEVER DIE'
    MySpace
    PHOTOS

Quote Originally Posted by samantha1303 View Post
    Razorlight - Razorlight - just as good as their first album and America is a classic track.
    I do like the album but going to disagree with you slightly....

Its far too short... just over 30mins is no length for a 2nd album and takes alot of the shine off it IMO... me & a few mates decided to stick it on for the first time while having a few beers and playing on the ps2... it finished before the pizza showed up....

also theres nowhere near as many standout tracks as on Up All Night... which IMO is up there with Definately Maybe as far as debut albums go

But America is a class song

I agree with you on the length of the album, infact there were hundreds of complaints from those who bought it about that , I also agree about the stand out tracks they take a few listens whereas with up all night they hit you straight away but they are there.

'SOULMATES NEVER DIE'
    MySpace
    PHOTOS

I was really disappointed with the length (insert witty comment here). They took so long to bring it out and its over before you even have chance to sit down

I dont like the lead singer dude either... so far up his own its untrue.... very talented songwriter but should keep his gob shut untill he's release more than an hour and half worth of songs at least...

(this should probably be in the rant section )

How can you not like Johnny????
    Oh yeah you're not female

Seriously though alot of people I know don't like the things he says, I personally haven't read many reports on he said this or did that or any interviews with him so I can only judge him on his music which is sometimes a better thing to do. There is nothing worse than really liking a band then watching or reading an interview with them and thinking they are it can put you off for life.

'SOULMATES NEVER DIE'
    MySpace
    PHOTOS

which is sometimes a better thing to do. There is nothing worse than really liking a band then watching or reading an interview with them and thinking they are it can put you off for life.
    Thats what I'm like usually.... its a fact that most people in bands turn into as soon as they get abit of fame.... theres only the Arctic Monkeys I can think of that are really down to earth and are still a quite shy group of people....

I got unlucky with the Johnny thing, I just heard someone say something he was meant to have said.... so i read it for myself and opinion of him went straight down the toilet from then on

He's done quite alot for charity recently.Headlines such as can this be the Johnny Borrell we all know have preceded the stories.
    If I do read a bad report on someone I like I try to eliminate it from my thoughts, the press don't usually publish exactly what was said they tend to take a sentance and make it more interesting, then take in other factors like the person could have been having a really bad day, or been off their heads on one concoction or another they are pop stars after all but sometimes what they say does hit a nerve and thats it you can't possibly listen to their music anymore.

'SOULMATES NEVER DIE'
    MySpace
    PHOTOS

Have just bought -
    PAUL WELLER - HIT PARADE - 4cd set
    and I will be getting on Nov 28th ( release date )-
    PHILIPPIAN MITCHELL- I speak the truth

'SOULMATES NEVER DIE'
    MySpace
    PHOTOS

Have just bought -
    PAUL WELLER - HIT PARADE - 4cd set
    and I will be getting on Nov 28th ( release date )-
    [/SIZE]
    my only dissapointment sam was my favourite jam track of all time - the bitterest pill wasn't on the album
    bbc 1's live lounge is an excellent listen and the old fogie that i am bat out of hell 3 is pretty good especially the revamped it's all coming back to now[album version]

I have an impressive bank of knowledge and experience. Unfortunately, I've lost the combination to this bank.

The Bitterest Pill is one of my faves too.
    It is on Hit Parade the 4 cd set which is the one I got.
    You will also find it on the Jam album Compact Snap - or the Special Edition newer 2 cd version called Snap.
    It is also on an import The Very Best Of The Jam which came out a couple of years ago, but that's about it.

'SOULMATES NEVER DIE'
    MySpace
    PHOTOS

Akon - Konvicted is top drawer, every track is strong.
    Faithless - To all new arrivals is a real mixture even have a cure sample on there.

'SOULMATES NEVER DIE'
    MySpace
    PHOTOS

Faithless are amazing have seen them on numerous occasions. I have tickets too see them on 18th March same day as KIllie are in the CIS Cup final at Hampden . What a day thats going to be.

2 new albums I recommend are

Cold War Kids - Robbers And Cowards
    Midlake - Trials of a Van Occupanther

What you want! What you need! What you Get!
    Save Johnnie Walker in Kilmarnock

I was going to go and watch Faithless live once... but then I thought to myself, if I was to play a Faithless CD in my room, turn off all the lights, and get some strobe lights on the go, it would surely almost have the same effect. :)

Please take a look at:
    My Photostream on Flickr

Most people who see Faithless live ( providing the actually like them to start with ) say it is one of the best shows they have ever been to , the atmosphere is totally amazing, and they manage to get the whole crowd not just a select few bouncing up and down - I'm seeing them on 17th March at Nottingham Arena.

'SOULMATES NEVER DIE'
    MySpace
    PHOTOS

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I was going to go and watch Faithless live once... but then I thought to myself, if I was to play a Faithless CD in my room, turn off all the lights, and get some strobe lights on the go, it would surely almost have the same effect. :)
    You have got it way wrong . Go and see the band and then you will see how tremendous this band are live. I'm not a big dance fan but faithless do it every time,the whole crowd is buzzin. Great gigs.

I was only messin' wiv ya'z. :D I saw them at V Festival in 2003 and they were fantastic. :)

Please take a look at:
    My Photostream on Flickr

:splapme:D:D

Kaiser Chiefs - Yours truly Angry Mob

I wasn't sure if they were going to keep up their quality but they have surpassed it with this album, we have already changed the lyrics to when the heat dies down to when Leeds go down.

'SOULMATES NEVER DIE'
    MySpace
    PHOTOS

Killers - Sam's Town
    I have to say I'm impressed with this fine effort from the Vegas boys, they've pulled off a good follow up to their debut album; Hot Fuss.
    What on earth was I thinking? I'm afraid to say the digging didn't last an awful long time on Sam's Town. Day & Age is a lot better though.

Kasabian - Empire
    The follow up to this is good - West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum. "Fire" is grand! They're playing Brixton tonight. I'd be tempted to go. If it wasn't in Brixton.

Anyone got any good new albums to shout about?

Please take a look at:
    My Photostream on Flickr

Thread Information