Cookie Policy: This web site uses cookies. By using this site you agree to our cookie policy.
Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to the T&C. This is an information forum, and it is just that information, all views are of the individual poster and not that of the site owner. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material without the owners permission. If you copy news or articles include a link back to the original site. Threads/Posts may be deleted on request. No other links without permission.
BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION: Your question has probably been asked before, so please use the
SEARCH FUNCTION, as we grow tired of answering the same question again and again.

Thread: what would be............

what would be............

i am looking to start laying bets next year. what is the best % of a betting bank to use ? wayne uses 1% of his bank , is this a high risk approach or a sensible one also do you guys have any general advice regarding betting this way as this is something i have"nt really looked into until recently. thanks

never underestimate the predictabilty of stupidity

I would agree with the 1% of bank. You can of course go lower and be more cautious but 1% seems to work well. You can also lay to a fixed liability which could be safer if what you are laying has higher odds, but if it's horses with a cut off of about 10, 10.5 then I would go with 1%

one thing to decide on first is how you want to lay, either fixed stake (FS) or fixed liability (FL).

fixed stake is using the same lay stake on each selection i,e, £20FS:
    £20 @ 2 = £20 libility
    £20 @ 5 = £80 liability ..... etc

fixed liability is using different stakes, but the same liability per seection i,e £20FL:

£20 @ 2 = £20 liability
    £5 @ 5 = £20 liability

which variation you use is up to you, i think FS may be advisable when starting out.

the % you use is also upto you, however you can use a bigger % when using FL than FS.
    odd's also come into play when deciding the % you use, if using FS a long shot winner can cost a fourtune, as 1% on a 20/1 winner cost's you 20% of your bank, so you need to know what odd's you will be laying before you decide upon a FS% to use. or (advisable) have a cut off, wherby you don't lay over a certain price.

wb is offline Win2Win Racing Club Member

Just to echo what the lads said about cut-offs. I use 10.0 as my cut off. After this point, prices go a bit mental on betfair.

For example, a 20/1 shot would be roughly 25/1 or even 30/1 on betfair. One winner at such inflated odds can wipe out days or weeks of work. It depends what approach you are taking to laying. Is is a system or just your own picks? Have you a rough idea of what prices the lays will be?

1% of the bank as the backers stake works well for me with a 10.0 cut-off. Worst case scenario is when a 10.0 (9/1) shot wins as I've effectively done 9% of my bank on it. However, most prices will be lower, so I'm only really staking a smaller percent most of the time.

It also depends on how much risk you want to take. You could try 0.5% of the bank, but if the bets are successful, you may get frustrated at the slow bank growth. Gambling always involves risk and it's up to you how much or little you want to take. Can you afford to risk losing some or most of the bank in the hope of quick growth, or is it essential that you protect it at all cost?

Another way of looking at it is that laying is effectively the same as backing odds on. You are risking a large amount to win a small amount. If you were running an odds on backing bank, what % would you be comfortable with as your stake? Apply this to laying and decide what % of the bank you are willing to lose on any single bet. As mentioned earlier, I can lose 9% of the bank if a 10.0 shot goes in, but thankfully, It does not happen often enough to wipe my bank out.

Finally, as mentioned, there is the fixed liability option, where you stake according to prices and set a maximum amount you are willing to lose on any one bet. I've tried this but I prefer the 1% staking plan as it's less fiddly.

Tada gan iarracht

thanks guys- solid advice as usual :)

never underestimate the predictabilty of stupidity

Very few pro's lay over 10.4, I use 10.0 in most cases.

If you are using fixed stake, you can go as high as 1.5% to kick start, and then reduce it over time.

FREE Live Odds Comparison Software

Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Filipino UK Filipino Forum | Win2Win Racing - Free Tips

I hope you're going to keep on with your backs though. They were going very well earlier in the year. Laying is one hell of a ride and all your hard work can be wiped out in a day.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I've watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time. Like tears in rain. Time to die.

Thread Information