Cookie Policy: This web site uses cookies. By using this site you agree to our cookie policy.
Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to the T&C. This is an information forum, and it is just that information, all views are of the individual poster and not that of the site owner. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material without the owners permission. If you copy news or articles include a link back to the original site. Threads/Posts may be deleted on request. No other links without permission.
BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION: Your question has probably been asked before, so please use the
SEARCH FUNCTION, as we grow tired of answering the same question again and again.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holiday Decisions

Talking Holiday Decisions

A little earlier this year I'd planned to take a short and inexpensive trip abroad somewhere because every Tom, Dick and Harry I know were talking of all the holidays they were going on in the summer.

However, it's nearly September and I haven't booked anywhere yet.

I also had planned last year to take a trip to several Eastern countries in one hit this year, but I haven't been able to do that so I'm looking at that for next year (after April 2009).

So now I'm in a bit of a predicament because I really want to go on this Eastern holiday next year, but I'm worried that if I take a cheap holiday this year to Scandinavia (I don't know where yet - Stockholm, Oslo or Copenhagen) then I'll be broke for the Eastern trip. Well, not broke, but I'm worried that I won't save enough money in time to do it. Need to also bear in mind I'll be going on the Eastern holiday for at least two weeks.

So why am I posting? Well, first of all it's because I'd like to hear about your (and Keith's wife's) amazing experiences of Eastern countries, for example Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore. Secondly I need some fast help in making a decision.

The Phillippines looks nice too, however I heard it's dangerous to go there. But there are the Chocolate Hills... which look amazing!

Anyway, tomorrow I'll check how much holiday entitlement I'll get for the remainder of this year... since I joined the company in May it should be about 12 days. The Scandinavian trip would only be for one week max.

Cheers, ciao!

Scandinavia will be expensive no matter where and when you go John.... if you do go I'd suggest Norway or Iceland for the scenery... if you want a bit more culture then a weekend in Reykjavik, Stockholm or Copenhagen would be worth considering. My own choice would be Iceland but having been there twice I'm kind of biased about the place :)

My keyboard's running out of ink....

Going anywhere t'other side of the water is now very expensive to us Brits....will you be planning on staying in a 'HOSTEL' in Slovenia?

The US is cheap .....especially if you go via container ship. :wink

FREE Live Odds Comparison Software

Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Filipino UK Filipino Forum | Win2Win Racing - Free Tips

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    ....will you be planning on staying in a 'HOSTEL' in Slovenia?
    I bet their tourism is really suffering these days

'SOULMATES NEVER DIE'
    MySpace
    PHOTOS

Quote Originally Posted by samantha1303 View Post
    I bet their tourism is really suffering these days
    It actually improved dramatically......freaky backpackers

Hmmm, I'd never even considered Iceland to be honest. Thinking about it though, I want somewhere more urban and lively, so a big city is probably more of what I'm after. How come it's so expensive to fly to Scandinavia?

Yeah Keith, it's cheap to go to the US but I want to explore a different part of the world for a change. :) And I'm not exactly sure where Slovenia is without looking on a map... I only have a rough idea!

Asia is cheap when you get there, but the flights are now very expensive. Next time I head in that direction, I'll probably pop over to Aus for a week as well.

Go to the Alps.....you'll get used to dragging your jaw on the floor :)

I think you'd love the culture in Reykjavik John, it's considered the most hip and cool place to visit these days... it's also very clean, very safe and you're close to many of the best outdoor attractions Iceland has to offer... you have the Geysir area, Gullfoss waterfall (very very spectacular), Thingvellir national park (very beautiful) all within a couple of hours, and you can do them all in one day trip.

http://www.vulkaner.no/n/gullfoss/egullfoss.html

http://www.randburg.com/is/general/geysir/

http://www.nat.is/travelguideeng/thingvellir.htm

If you feel a bit more adventurous you can also do the 14-15 hour long south coast tour which also includes a couple of hours snowmobiling on the Myrdasjokull glacier, and takes you to 2 of the most incredible waterfalls you'll ever see - Skogarfoss and Seljalandsfoss - which you can actually walk right behind, plus a visit to the village of Vik which lies on an amazing black volcanic sandy beach.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%BDrdalsj%C3%B6kull

http://images.google.co.uk/images?so...num=1&ct=title

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seljalandsfoss

Big thanks Campbell, for the descriptions as well as providing links. There's an awful lot to think about!

I'm looking for somewhere upbeat and lively - a Scandinavian version of Barcelona. If Reykjavik is thereabouts, then I'm there like a shot. If I visited Reykjavik I'd be more interested in exploring the urban culture and city life as opposed to the scenic parts, but then I'd feel guilty for not giving those waterfalls the attention they deserve, even if I were to go on one of the day trips.

I always thought Stockholm and Copenhagen were "more happening" than Reykjavik would be. But I'm ignorant, so do correct me if I'm wrong! :)

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I always thought Stockholm and Copenhagen were "more happening" than Reykjavik would be. But I'm ignorant, so do correct me if I'm wrong! :)
    That certainly used to be the case John, but these days Reykjavik is considered the 'coolest' capital in the world. There is a very lively music scene covering any sort of music you want from jazz and blues to Bjork and Sigur Ros. Night life is manic at the weekends with clubs open practically all night and they don't start filling up till midnight. Food is superb, it's a gastronomic experience all the way and something the locals are extremely proud of and rightly so.... it can be expensive, though you can eat cheaply - their are always hot dog vans around selling the local delicacy - called Pylsur - best hot dogs you'll ever eat, and of course there are the odd McDonalds around if you can't go without that, and the bakeries sell some amazing cakes and pastries.

Another thing you might enjoy is the blue lagoon - you simply can't get this experience elsewhere... and the Icelandic lasses are generally very easy on the eye

http://www.bluelagoon.com/Bath/

Also within the city is a stunning church - with a 240ft tower you can go up for great views across the country

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallgr%C3%ADmskirkja

The place is also stuffed with museums and galleries and many other places worth seeing including the Perlan water storage towers and restaurants

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perlan

Icelands only bathing beach - with heated water!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nauth%C3%B3lsv%C3%ADk

Tjornin - the city pond - wonderful place to sit and relax, and there is a bakery only 2 minutes walk from it so you can get yourself a cake and coffee and some bread to feed the ducks!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tj%C3%B6rnin

If you were to go you really should do one day trip out of the city, so the Geysir / Gullfoss / Thingvellir trip would be a good one - that's what they call the Golden Circle tour, kind of sums up Iceland in one day. If you were feeling really flush you can do a day trip to other parts of the country by air - you fly from the city airport to other local airports where you're collected and taken on your tour... but like I say that will be very expensive.

If you need any more info let me know

You on commission BigC? Sounds a great place to go. I'm hoping FC Hafnarfjordur get through in the UEFA cup tomorrow and we get drawn against them!

"I put a skylight in my apartment...... the people upstairs are furious." - Stephen Wright

My Website : http://www.mrmrsportssystems.co.uk
    Now offering three subscription based betting systems and daily free bets.
    Free bets 34.7pts up in October

Quote Originally Posted by MattR View Post
    You on commission BigC? Sounds a great place to go. I'm hoping FC Hafnarfjordur get through in the UEFA cup tomorrow and we get drawn against them!
    Just had a couple of brilliant holidays there Matt, if you do get Hafnarfjordur, watch out for the elves.... loads of them in that town :wink

I really can't decide now! I would never have even considered Iceland as a holiday destination based on what I think it's like, but you've made it sound amazing! Thanks for all the information you've provided so far. I can't imagine it being that hot this side of Christmas but I don't expect anywhere would be this time of year unless you go south of France...

Museums I'm not really a fan of... galleries however, I enjoy visiting and getting blown away by some of the arts. Went to two galleries in Barca, and loved every minute.

If possible, I'd be keen to hear more about the cafés, bars, restaurants and general nightlife it has to offer, as well as whether or not it's famous for trendy shopping. Though you've already said it's buzzing with vibrancy for nights out. Oh, and more importantly whether Icelandic girls like English boys. :D

How much English do they know... or is it a case of buying myself an Icelandic phrase book?

Iceland is VERY expensive.

If you like a beer, Bavaria :) If you like wine, Netto

Is anywhere more expensive than living here! :D

Besides they do some great deals on frozen food

"I put a skylight in my apartment...... the people upstairs are furious." - Stephen Wright

My Website : http://www.mrmrsportssystems.co.uk
    Now offering three subscription based betting systems and daily free bets.
    Free bets 34.7pts up in October

I think you can go gold mining in alaska.
    One of those around the Palin world travelogs saw some american said that it had paid for a new home

Marcus

I believe in the Mathematics of large numbers or ask you the occasional dumb question

If possible, I'd be keen to hear more about the cafés, bars, restaurants and general nightlife it has to offer, as well as whether or not it's famous for trendy shopping. Though you've already said it's buzzing with vibrancy for nights out. Oh, and more importantly whether Icelandic girls like English boys. :D

How much English do they know... or is it a case of buying myself an Icelandic phrase book?

There are loads of cafes around, all do decent food and coffee and are pretty trendy and stylish... shopping - it's now considered a hot spot for designers.. you'll get plenty of locally designed stuff, both clothes and arts and crafts, some of which is pretty stunning with Viking designs and what have you. You also get 15% back on all purchases over a certain price at the Airport when you leave.

Most of the folk are kind of reserved (till they get pissed on a Friday night!) but very friendly, and most speak very good English, especially the younger generations. You could try learning Icelandic as they love it when you try and speaka da lingo... it's a horrendously difficult one to pick up though as it's little changed over the last 1000 years. When you eat out, most places will have English menus if you need them so you're never stuck there.

As Keith says it is expensive, but in my mind you do get what you pay for, and there are cheap ways of going about things - hotels cost a packet but there are loads of Youth hostels and guest houses at decent prices.

This is the company I travelled with both times - first time I had a pre arranged itinerary, second time I designed the lot myself and asked them to book it all up for me - both times they were great to deal with, and very helpful - many of their staff are actually Nordic so they know the score... check out their short breaks and some of the other stuff they have on offer - they do also do Norway, Sweden , Lapland, Greenland and Spitsbergen etc and they used to do a trip to the North Pole....

http://www.arctic-experience.co.uk/

Here's the Icelandic tourist board site as well

http://www.icetourist.is/default.asp?cat_id=30

and more specific to you the Reykjavik tourist office - again these guys are brilliant and very helpful.

http://www.visitreykjavik.is/

How about Liverpool - City of Culture :D

Campbell that's brilliant, more than brilliant in fact so thanks a lot for all your information. What I'm going to do is check exactly how much holiday I can take pro-rata up until 31 December with a big thought in mind for sparing days off at Christmas too (unless we automatically get it off). I'm guessing I'll have already accumulated 6 days given I joined 3 months ago and get 25 days per year.

What I'm going to do is look at all the information you've given me and have a proper dig around the Arctic Experience website to see what's on offer - not just for Iceland but also the other places you've mentioned. Glad that they've treated you well in the past too, always fantastic to get a recommendation from someone else for these things! In my lost oblivion I had a fanciful look at the Reykjavik/Stockholm 7-day'er but that's gonna cost me the fatter side of £1400 so definitely a no-no. But it would be an opportunity to do Reykjavik and Stockholm at the same time. Save up more cash and go middle of next year p'raps. NO! I need to go sooner! :)

Anyway, so this weekend I'm also going to go to a few travel agents and say: 'I'm a single person traveller, I'm 23, I'm after a Nordic/Scandinavian short break which is part/all organised but don't want one of those 18-30 holidays...' and see what's on offer. I'll also buy The Times or The Observer on Sunday as they often have good holiday offers in them.

Reyjkavik does sound awesome, again you've added some more that inspires - locally designed clothes and arts/crafts. Generally they're quite reserved until they get pissed on a Friday night - that sounds a lot like me! Thanks again, my mission is beginning. :D

Well it's been nearly a year since I looked at this, and I still haven't been away anywhere. Going away soon though!

I'm planning a trip to Reykjavik and Stockholm for August/September time.

I don't suppose, Campbell, if you know whether the prices advertised on the Arctic Experience website (now called Discover the World) include the cost of flights? If so, then the pre-arranged breaks are incredibly good value for money. The Reykjavik short break holiday costs £332, I assume flight costs are on top...

http://www.discover-the-world.co.uk/...rt-City-Break/

I've no idea where to start planning-wise but I thought I'd better get my into gear!

Please take a look at:
    My Photostream on Flickr

Those are good prices and they do include flights John, so if you can budget for a couple of hundred quid more you'll get better accomodation and a better departure date - August is still pretty much part of the main tourist season, but September is a bit quieter as the weather is starting to cool down by then. The Icelandic economy went down the toilet so the exchange rate should be very good - but don't change your currency here befor you go, it's recommended you wait till you get there and do it at the Keflavik airport bank. The website should give you more current info on all of that than I have! I have to say I'm rather jealous

Good to know, thanks Campbell. Don't be too jealous, I'll take some quality pictures for you! :D I was going to go in August and maybe spend some time at the Reykjavik Jazz Festival (this is August 13 – September 1) but the festival just happens to be on at the time I was thinking of going. It's not a deciding factor date-wise. So if it's less touristy at the beginning of September I'll probably go then instead. But, AARRRGH! This means having to wait even longer!

My housemate said she wouldn't do Reyjkavik alone, because you need someone there with you when you see the AMAZING views, and also because everything is really spread out. Anyway, that hasn't put me off, I'm going to go it alone and have a great time!

I'm thinking 3-4 nights in Reykjavik and visiting the places you've listed above in this thread. Then 3-4 nights in Stockholm. I've just got think/plan how much this is all going to cost. Probably quite a lot but then I haven't had a proper holiday since November 2007 and that was a long weekend in Barcelona (which wasn't paid for by me) so I am quite lucky in that respect... so technically, I shouldn't mind breaking the bank... right?

I'm guessing the prices will come up a little in September too - on hotels and on flights. I was even thinking of staying in a youth hostel if a hotel turns out to be too expensive. I'll keep my eyes peeled on how much the prices change on that website.

Please take a look at:
    My Photostream on Flickr

The budget hotels are decent enough quality, and probably all you'll need for a short trip as you'll really only be using it as a bed for the night, same goes for the Youth Hostels - when I went they were recommended as a good option if on a limited budget, supposed to be good fun too. Reykjavik isn't that spread out really, most of what you want to see in the city is within walking distance, anything else is reachable by bus or taxi, and there are city tours by bus that'll take you to all the main tourist attractions.

Great stuff Campbell, wow..... this is soon (hopefully) all going to be a reality! I'd prefer to stay in a hotel but if they're really expensive then that'll be a no go. A hostel could actually be quite fun anyway, as you've said. Thanks for all your help!

Please take a look at:
    My Photostream on Flickr

I'm struggling to decide all over again.

I'm thinking it might be better to do Reykjavik or Stockholm rather than do both. Just because it's like shoehorning two holidays into one. But I really want to visit both!

If I go to Reykjavik I'll want to see so much more of Iceland and I'm not sure that's possible to do from Reykjavik alone. Unless all of the day trips to the amazing places are accessible from Reykjavik.

It's a 5 hour flight from Reykjavik to Stockholm too, which doesn't bother me, but I didn't realise they were that far apart.

Please take a look at:
    My Photostream on Flickr

Iceland, then go on one of the helicopter tours. Job done. :)

Negative. :)

Please take a look at:
    My Photostream on Flickr

If I go to Reykjavik I'll want to see so much more of Iceland and I'm not sure that's possible to do from Reykjavik alone. Unless all of the day trips to the amazing places are accessible from Reykjavik.
    3 day trips will get you a superb taste of what Iceland has to offer John, all from Reykjavik. The Golden Circle tour takes you to Gullfoss waterfall, the Geysir area, and Thingvellir national park - all pretty spectacular. The South Coast tour takes you to a cople of amazing waterfalls, Skogafoss and Seljalandsfoss, plus a good few other places well worth seeing. And the Kjolur tour takes you off road into the nearest interior route to the capital.

When I was your age I just went to Butlins with the lads, stayed piddled the whole time and plenty of easy slappers around for

Hello again,

This is a message mainly for Campbell, but I'd be interested to know anyone else's thoughts too. I'd decided to delay this (I know, I know) slightly, since buying a camera has taken priority. However, a friend of mine has recently got in touch with me and said he'd be interested in coming to Iceland with me, which has made me really 'well up for' going there before 2009 is over with.

Now, bearing in mind the gradually shortening number of daylight hours in the North on the run up to Christmas, have we left it too late to go this year (October/November)? We could find that when we get there it gets dark really early, which we don't want, and it would be a considerable waste of money. As Campbell already mentioned, the 'peak' time to go is September-time, as it's less touristy. So, with that in mind, I'm leaning towards saying that late October/early November would be okay. However, in reality, I know nothing [:D].

Thanking you. :)

Please take a look at:
    My Photostream on Flickr

Thread Information