Cookie Policy: This web site uses cookies. By using this site you agree to our cookie policy.
Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to the T&C. This is an information forum, and it is just that information, all views are of the individual poster and not that of the site owner. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material without the owners permission. If you copy news or articles include a link back to the original site. Threads/Posts may be deleted on request. No other links without permission.
BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION: Your question has probably been asked before, so please use the
SEARCH FUNCTION, as we grow tired of answering the same question again and again.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Holiday Decisions

Oooh, you're looking at maybe 6 or 7 hours of daylight by that time of year, so it's going to be dark earlier than you're used to here, and dawn will be later, and because of the angle the sun sets and rises at you get a long twilight at each end of the day. One possible bonus is that if you get out of the city a wee bit, you will stand a decent chance of seeing the northern lights at that time of year. So in balance I'd still go despite the short days, but then I'd go back any time!

Tourism wise, it will certainly be much quieter, there will still be plenty of things to do though after the start of September some things only open a couple of days a week. The routes to the interior of the country will be completely closed because they are 'off road' tracks and cross rivers, but you can still do all the major natural attractions near to Reykjavik, the Golden Circle tour runs all year round, so you can still see the Geysir region, Gullfoss waterfall, and the stunning landscape around Thingvellir national park - I'd recommend it as a great way to get a taste of Iceland. Some of the other day trips will still run too. Plus of course the Blue Lagoon will be open all the time, so you shouldn't be stuck for things to see and do. The travel company were great with details of all that stuff when I went there and there's tons of info available in the hotels and the main tourist office.

Try the local food as much as you can too....the hot dogs are wonderful for a quick snack, and the restaurants, though expensive, are generally very very good. There is even the most northern Indian restaurant in the world, so you can have curry Icelandic style. Try the local breads, the beer is decent, the Brennivin scnapps is excellent though potent! Icelandic lamb is amazing, fed on wild heather and grasses in the highlands during the summer. Obviouly if you're a seafood fan then you'll be in heaven as that's a major speciality of theirs.

My keyboard's running out of ink....

Holiday or camera? ...... ....... ......Not a hard choice, I just have both

FREE Live Odds Comparison Software

Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Filipino UK Filipino Forum | Win2Win Racing - Free Tips

Erm, yeah. Cheers Keith, that's really helpful.

----------------------------------

Campbell, thanks for the excellent advice as always, you've given me a lot to think about. Basically my mate and I really want to go, it just might be tight booking-wise, and we're having doubts about whether the weather (:wink) will be cold/windy/blizzard-like (I don't mind cold, but reasonably mild would be my preference) in October/November.

There's the added bonus of seeing the Northern Lights this time of year up until February/March as well. Absolutely, we'll be going on a couple of the tours, maybe even snowmobiling. I reckon we should go on 2-3 tours and spend maximum of 2 days looking around Reykjavik itself. I imagine it's a beautiful city, but fairly small so I am told...

6 or 7 hours of daylight sounds reasonable-ish... but that must mean it's dark by about 5 or 6pm... but I love twilight time! So maybe I can offset the negative side of only seeing a few hours of daylight with that.

Anyway, it's 3 o'clock in the morning so I better go to bed. I just thought I'd better reply on here beforehand else I'll forget tomorrow. Now I'm talking gibberish. :D My mate and I will no doubt reach a decision by the end of the day. Both of us really, really want to go. The question is would it be better to leave it until February or March. It's yet more postponing, but since I'd prioritised my camera over a holiday, that's fine. In any case I will make an enquiry to Discover the World about a few things too tomorrow. :)

Please take a look at:
    My Photostream on Flickr

Feb / March will likely be worse weather wise as it's still very much winter for them. At the end of October / November it'll probably be cold but not freezing, but likely to be windy and maybe a bit wet, but given the quirks of Iceland's weather - favourite saying there is 'if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes' - because it's so changeable, so you could get lucky and get a dry mild spell. Snowmobiling is a definite at any time of year on the glaciers, so yes, that's highly recommended - did it myself and thoroughly enjoyed it! 2 days will give you plenty of time to suss out the capital, the main touristy areas are fairly central with one or two exceptions. Like I mentioned before, take a wander up the hill to the Perlan, and the church tower as well - cost a few quid for that but the views are amazing. Day trips - the Golden Circle is a must, and if the South Shore adventure is running, that also is a must a it visits some spectacular waterfalls among many other scenic areas. Must admit I'm bloody jealous, if I had the money I'd be joining you as your guide!

Best tip for what to take clothing wise is plenty of layers, as you'll find yourself having to adjust to the ever changing weather! Also make sure you have good waterproof gear, because you will get wet at the waterfalls, they are big and throw up a lot of spray! Good walking boots are a must as well.

Oh no! I didn't really give much thought to how wet it would be around the waterfall areas. If there's a lot of water spray, that won't bode well for a digital SLR camera hanging around my neck. Hmmm. I'm happy to take it to dry places though, and I can't wait to see the views. It must start getting Spring-like around late April/early May? Seems like their seasons run almost to the same months as ours, but we're maybe 1-2 months ahead, and their seasons start and finish a little later on than ours. It's got to be ever so slightly marginal. Funnily enough I've just been out with my camera to Alexandra Palace and met a lady who I got chatting to (as you do if you're a photographer :D) about Iceland. "Oh, why do you want to go there? I thought it was dull" she said [and she hadn't been].

Clothing-wise, I need to buy loads of stuff. I'll need to buy some walking boots. Got plenty of layers. Will need a waterproof jacket too. Probably will also need some sunglasses, given how open the wilderness is, and how bright the snow will reflect.

I can't wait to get out there, and I know how jealous you are! But we'll most likely wait now until winter has passed by. So I reckon April time. Grrrr. I don't mind the cold at all, but I don't fancy being out in it all day if it's going to be really windy as well. Oh, I wish I'd known he was up for it in June! Then we'd have been and gone already.

Please take a look at:
    My Photostream on Flickr

Iceland it just starting to thaw out in April! It's frozen solid in March. Not forgetting they don't get anywhere near as much daylight as us.

When I went I just took my 35mm compact zoom, that was easier to get in and out of the case for quick snaps when it was wet. Spring does start late there, though Reykjavik is always milder than most of the rest of the country anyway because it gets the tail end of the Gulf Stream, they actually had a snow free winter in the city itself last year - quite unusual, but no doubt down to global warming and likely to happen more often.

The tourist season starts kicking in around April but doesn't pick up fully till June / July, so it will be nice and quiet at that time compared to peak season. Cheaper too! If you did want to venture into the interior, the roads don't open till June, but again you've got all the main places I mentioned earlier still available. There will be plenty of snow on the mountains so photography should be great, especially on clear days as the air up there is so clean you can sometimes see the Snaefellsjokull volcano / glacier from Reykjavik and it's about 100 miles away! For that reason too the sunglasses are a must. If you ski, there's a large area not far from the city.

That woman sounds typical of the ignorance that folk have about the place. To be honest I'd rather keep it that way - so it doesn't become too inundated.

Waterproofs - get trousers as well, I don't know what's best these days but I found Berghaus goretex jackets and trousers to be brilliant as they are totally breathable, waterproof and you don't get sweaty.

As for the daylight hours once you get past the Spring equinox on March 21st they actually get more daylight than us through until the Autumn one.

Would be really handy if I also had a compact camera with me, that'd at least make sure my SLR didn't get damaged. Late April/early May sounds absolutely ideal in that case; I want to go before the main tourists season starts and so that would make sense. If it's cheaper, well that's a bonus.

Snow on the mountains. :D BLISS! My idea of a perfect place is one which links urban with rural wilderness, and it sounds like you hit the scenic landscapes venturing anywhere out of Reykjavik.

I don't ski, but if they do lessons then I'll give it a try. My sister went skiiing for the first time last year in the Alps and said she found it really difficult, so given that my balance is absolutely awful I don't stand a chance!

Thanks for the clothing advice - I really have nothing waterproof so I'll need to get myself sorted out. Hmmm, would you say there are any parts where waterproof gear isn't needed? Particularly on the run up to summer?

I'm little around much over the next few days, but I'll return to this thread post-Sunday 13th. Thanks for all your help mate. :)

Please take a look at:
    My Photostream on Flickr

Get yourelf a decent waterproof jacket, but since you're not going to be wearing the trousers all the time you could easily go for cheap and cheerful with those - a tenner should see you sorted, and you can just pack them till you need them at the waterfalls.

Yes, you're not far from the scenic stuff in Reykjavik, the views from the city itself are very nice anyway, across to Mt Esja which at that time of year will have a lot of snow on it, plus as I mentioned, go up the Hallgrimskirkja church tower for some really spectacular views. The church itself is stunning - as you walk up the hill towards it you see it head on, and it looks like a space rocket, almost shuttle shaped!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallgr%C3%ADmskirkja

Just found out something you may appreciate - April sees the Reykjavik Blues festival!

http://www.blues.is/english.htm

If you get the chance to see Pinetop Perkins you're very lucky indeed - he'll be about 97 by then, an absolute legend!

Looked at this a bit more this weekend, and I can see how easy/simple it is to get from Reykjavik to the scenic parts - it's not actually that far to travel. Obviously the South Coast tour as previously mentioned is further, and involves a long coach journey, but having said that it's probably well worth doing.

We're definitely looking to go in April-May time now - planning time is needed, as is the need to maximise the most of the greater number of daylight hours.

That church looks like something out of a Star Wars movie! You really wouldn't believe it's actually a church!

As you know I love the blues, but my mate isn't so keen. :( I'd love to go to the festival though... COME! :D

Please take a look at:
    My Photostream on Flickr

You see more if you take the helicopter/plane tour

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I'd love to go to the festival though... COME! :D
    I'd love to go back John, but my finances stilll being as precarious as they are I doubt I could afford it... I'll see how things are though after New Year, but don't get your hopes up!

Quote Originally Posted by bigcumba View Post
    ....but don't get your hopes up!
    He hasn't been getting anything up lately!

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    He hasn't been getting anything up lately!
    I'm sure he'll appreciate that!

Thanks for that piece of inspiration!

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    You see more if you take the helicopter/plane tour
    Maybe, yeah. But it's not always about seeing more, it's about being immersed in the scene around you, and walking around experiencing views close-up.

Please take a look at:
    My Photostream on Flickr

........it's about being immersed in the scene around you, and walking around experiencing views close-up.
    You can't get more immersed than flying into the bowls of the Grand Canyon :)

Helicopter will take you to the peak of a live volcano in Iceland, you can bake a few spuds

For God's sake - get on with the holiday.

:D:D:D

I've never understood the attraction of bestiality but looking back over my life it does appear as though I married a cow, lived with a moose, been out with at least 5 dogs and spent a lot of time being chased by whales.

Quote Originally Posted by counterfeit View Post
    For God's sake - get on with the holiday.

:D:D:D

Since he first mentioned it, I've collected enough air miles to get to the moon! :wink

My wife wants to know how he can be so decisive - it's taken her 12 years to decide it would be ok to go to Greece. :splapme

I've never understood the attraction of bestiality but looking back over my life it does appear as though I married a cow, lived with a moose, been out with at least 5 dogs and spent a lot of time being chased by whales.

Okay! I'm going next week!

I've bought the following for the trip:

* Waterproof jacket (Gore Tex)
    * Lightweight fleece
    * Walking boots (Gore Tex)
    * 65L main rucksack (main luggage) that came with a waterproof cover
    * Camera bag which will act also as a daysack for carrying around each day (has a space for waterproofs too)
    * Spare camera memory cards
    * Spare camera battery
    * Tripod
    * Remote switch
    * Thickish socks
    * Eye mask
    * Walking trousers
    * Waterproof 'over' trousers

Missed anything?

Still need to sort out some cheap waterproof trousers I think. Let's just say that the walking boots I bought don't exactly look great with skinny jeans, which are what I wear every day! I walked for 45 minutes in my walking boots to break them in a bit and will get a couple of walks in this weekend too. Definitely taking some plasters with me, even though they're really comfortable.

Also need to buy Icelandic money beforehand and I'll probably do that a few days before I go. Certainly not at the airport as the rates aren't so good.

Anyway, lots more to write but I'm knackered so will add more on this in the next few days. Can't flipping wait to go! :D

Please take a look at:
    My Photostream on Flickr

Okay! I'm going next week!

I've bought the following for the trip:

* Waterproof jacket (Gore Tex)
    * Lightweight fleece
    * Walking boots (Gore Tex)
    * 65L main rucksack (main luggage) that came with a waterproof cover
    * Camera bag which will act also as a daysack for carrying around each day (has a space for waterproofs too)
    * Spare camera memory cards
    * Spare camera battery
    * Tripod
    * Remote switch
    * Thickish socks
    * Eye mask

Missed anything?

Still need to sort out some cheap waterproof trousers I think. Let's just say that the walking boots I bought don't exactly look great with skinny jeans, which are what I wear every day! I walked for 45 minutes in my walking boots to break them in a bit and will get a couple of walks in this weekend too. Definitely taking some plasters with me, even though they're really comfortable.

Also need to buy Icelandic money beforehand and I'll probably do that a few days before I go. Certainly not at the airport as the rates aren't so good.

Anyway, lots more to write but I'm knackered so will add more on this in the next few days. Can't flipping wait to go! :D
    A volcanic ash mask would come in handy right now

'SOULMATES NEVER DIE'
    MySpace
    PHOTOS

One tip - buy your Icelandic money when you get there, much better rates than you'll get here. At least that's how it always used to be - mainly because it's a 'small' currency compared to the likes of the US dollar and the Euro. Apart from that, yes waterproof trousers if you'll be anywhere near any of the major waterfalls.. serious amount of spray and you'll get wet! Lastly.. can you sneak me on as hand luggage?

If you can fit inside one of these then you're more than welcome to join me mate!
    http://www.maclife.com/files/u36/090...tuffed_380.jpg :D

Thanks for the tip about getting Krona once there – do you mean at the airport?

We've got 2-3 days in Reykjavik first of all, though there could have been a up with the Golden Circle Tour as it isn't listed on our booking itinerary, even though we required it (and was listed on our quote before we made the booking). I've made an enquiry about it so just awaiting a reply.

Then we fly to Akureyri in the North and hire a car, 5 days staying at Myvatn, driving around; both Husavik and Dettifoss are on my agenda, as well as Myvatn lake itself supposedly being spectacular.

Then we're flying back to Reykjavik for one full day and overnight, before we come home.

Cannot wait, been looking at some photos (but not too many) on Flickr, the place just looks so barren and incredible.

Please take a look at:
    My Photostream on Flickr

Who you going with Johnny?

I'm going with an old workmate who I met during my brief spell working in York. The good thing is that we both bought DSLR cameras at the same time last year so we're both in the same camera boat, which is good! Took me 20 minutes to set up and set down my tripod – sunset and sunrise will have been and gone in the time it takes me...

Just found out the Golden Circle tour ain't got our names on. Somewhere along the line there was a up, perhaps we didn't check as thoroughly as we should have, but it was on the latest quote we received prior to making the booking. I'm a bit annoyed about it but fortunately there's still time to book the tour. Though I'll be most likely booking it through someone else online as I can get it cheaper...

Please take a look at:
    My Photostream on Flickr

Thanks for the tip about getting Krona once there – do you mean at the airport?
    Yep, that was the recommended way to do it when I went.. though given that last trip was 14 years ago it may be worth giving your travel company a ring and asking their advice just to make sure.

We've got 2-3 days in Reykjavik first of all, though there could have been a up with the Golden Circle Tour
    That's the one everyone does from Reykjavik, hope you can get it booked up as it's well worth it.. the Geysir area is amazing, Gullfoss is beautiful and the Thingvellir lake and park area give you an idea of just how incredible the forces that have formed Iceland are - it sits right on the divide between the European and American tectonic plates.. the lake sits in a dip in between. It's a lovely area.. and very important historically to the country.

Then we fly to Akureyri in the North and hire a car, 5 days staying at Myvatn, driving around; both Husavik and Dettifoss are on my agenda, as well as Myvatn lake itself supposedly being spectacular.
    The flight alone to Akureyri will be spectacular if you get a clear sky.. you'll travel over part of the interior, probably not at that great a height, and over some of the mountains and glaciers.. first time I did it from Isafjordur in a 9 seater plane, felt like I could stick my leg out the door and leave a footprint in the ice. Second time around I did it one of the main interior routes, that was spectacular too.. like a cold desert through the interior.

Akureyri itself is a great town.. as for Myvatn.. might be a little early, but I suggest you be prepared for the midges if they're out.. Myvatn means Midge Lake.. and there can be literally billions of the wee buggers.. pray for a bit of a breeze. Do the tour around the lake, also there's one that visits some of the volcanic areas nearby - that's amazing too.. when I went the lava from a massive eruption 11 years earlier was still smoking.. If you're doing Dettifoss by car, you better have a sturdy 4 wheel drive as the road there is nicknamed the rock'n'roll road with good reason.. it's no more than a track and very very bumpy, but seriously, you cannot miss it.. it's the biggest waterfall in Europe by water volume. Husavik is a stunning wee town, with a thriving whale watching industry now - it used to be a centre of the whaling itself so the guys involved know where to look.

If you have a free day at Myvatn.. book the trip to Askja.. it's a long long day, but it is so amazing... there's a volcanic lake there that has only existed since 1875, plus a smaller one that is heated by the underlying magma.. you can have a dip in it. It's 4000 feet up.. when I went it was just above freezing with horizontal snow and yu have to trek from the 'car park' to the caldera itself - couple of km.. but I loved it..

Then we're flying back to Reykjavik for one full day and overnight, before we come home.
    Quite simply you won't want to come home.. you'll be hooked and want to go back. I am extremely jealous! :)

Yep, that was the recommended way to do it when I went.. though given that last trip was 14 years ago it may be worth giving your travel company a ring and asking their advice just to make sure.
    Nice one Big Man I'll give it a go then. I'll call the travel company on Monday and see what they say first of all though. In some ways just to be on the safe side I might get it here though. Just in case my debit card doesn't work over there, for whatever reason. I'm sure it will work but I'd hate to run the risk of it not...

That's the one everyone does from Reykjavik, hope you can get it booked up as it's well worth it.. the Geysir area is amazing, Gullfoss is beautiful and the Thingvellir lake and park area give you an idea of just how incredible the forces that have formed Iceland are - it sits right on the divide between the European and American tectonic plates.. the lake sits in a dip in between. It's a lovely area.. and very important historically to the country.
    I really need to read up a bit more on the country's history before I go. I don't know all that much about it. I'm sure on the tour, that the guides will tell us, but I always need to know some background information and I'll probably read up on it tomorrow. Anyway, we're booking the Golden Circle ourselves now, as it hasn't been included as we initially thought, and I can't blooming wait! I'm really looking forward in particular to Thingvellir, is it actually a National Park containing wildlife?

The flight alone to Akureyri will be spectacular if you get a clear sky.. you'll travel over part of the interior, probably not at that great a height, and over some of the mountains and glaciers.. first time I did it from Isafjordur in a 9 seater plane, felt like I could stick my leg out the door and leave a footprint in the ice. Second time around I did it one of the main interior routes, that was spectacular too.. like a cold desert through the interior.
    Fantastic! I mean that's one of the reasons why we're doing the flight to Akureyri really. Given that we're not hiring an 'offroad' car so-to-speak and sticking to the ring road, at least we'll hopefully get some amazing views flying over the interior. We're doing it from Keflavik and I think it takes about 45 minutes.

Akureyri itself is a great town.. as for Myvatn.. might be a little early, but I suggest you be prepared for the midges if they're out.. Myvatn means Midge Lake.. and there can be literally billions of the wee buggers.. pray for a bit of a breeze. Do the tour around the lake, also there's one that visits some of the volcanic areas nearby - that's amazing too.. when I went the lava from a massive eruption 11 years earlier was still smoking.. If you're doing Dettifoss by car, you better have a sturdy 4 wheel drive as the road there is nicknamed the rock'n'roll road with good reason.. it's no more than a track and very very bumpy, but seriously, you cannot miss it.. it's the biggest waterfall in Europe by water volume. Husavik is a stunning wee town, with a thriving whale watching industry now - it used to be a centre of the whaling itself so the guys involved know where to look.
    Heard an awful lot about the midges around the lake! We're going to be in Myvatn for 5 nights so probably we should take/buy some sort of repellant to get rid of the little buggers? Hmm, I never knew the route to Dettifoss was going to be a tricky one! Thanks for the heads up. Well, we'll see... yes we did plan to do it by car and no we won't have a 4WD... so we'll have to see if we're able to do it. I mean since we'll be in Myvatn for quite a while we've a lot of opportunities in all directions to see what else is nearby. I've found some really good itineraries, and I've still got those PDFs you sent me so will look again at the Northern ones. :)

If you have a free day at Myvatn.. book the trip to Askja.. it's a long long day, but it is so amazing... there's a volcanic lake there that has only existed since 1875, plus a smaller one that is heated by the underlying magma.. you can have a dip in it. It's 4000 feet up.. when I went it was just above freezing with horizontal snow and yu have to trek from the 'car park' to the caldera itself - couple of km.. but I loved it..
    Awesome! That's what my walking boots are for! So it's a 4,000 feet (apx 3/4 mile) trek up hill? Not sure how far Askja is from Myvatn either, but I'll look at a map and find out. Volcanic lake sounds so surreal, something I'd really want to check out!

Quite simply you won't want to come home.. you'll be hooked and want to go back. I am extremely jealous! :)
    Well, I hope you're right! :D Going to be an awesome holiday. I've never done any sort of holiday where it's this barren before, this isolated. I've only really been to major cities and surrounding areas of cities – or at least I have certainly since I've been going on holidays without the 'rents for the last 10 years or so. Have you any plans to go back at all in the future?

Please take a look at:
    My Photostream on Flickr

Oh, I got some el cheapo walking trousers today, and a waterproof pair of 'over trousers' for when I'm likely to get soaked. Bring it on! :)

Please take a look at:
    My Photostream on Flickr

Thingvellir is a national park yes, not a lot of wildlife to see though, it's more just about the history and beauty of the area.

Whereabouts at Myvatn are you staying? Is it the Hotel Reynihlid? That's the one I stayed at.. nice hotel.. there was a small earthquake first time I went.. rattled the windows and glasses in the bar and they had probs with their hot water supply for a few hours.. you should get details there of whether you can make it to Dettifoss in a normal car.. it certainly wasn't recommended when I was there. we're talking bits of track where 10mph is the max you can go because of the bumps.. but there are always daytrips that take in Dettifoss, the canyon downstream, the horseshoe shaped and Lost World - like Asbyrgi canyon, and on to Husavik via the most northern part of the coastline - with views to Grimsey island which sits on the Arctic circle. Again it's a long day if you do it, but every single step of it is worth it.

Askja - don't even think of doing that by car.. it's a long way into the interior, and the weather up there can be very wintry even in midsummer as I found out.. so do it by day trip.. they take you to the car park at the edge of the caldera at 4000ft, you don't have to climb that height.. but you do have a long walk through pretty rough terrain to get to the lakes.. but again it's worth it for the views.

It is worth having a wee read up on the history and folklore of the place as it is interesting, but you will get plenty of that sort of thing on the guided tours.. they are very proud of their history and love sharing the folklore and sagas..

John going for the Multi-Quote record I see :D

Thread Information