Cookie Policy: This web site uses cookies. By using this site you agree to our cookie policy.
Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to the T&C. This is an information forum, and it is just that information, all views are of the individual poster and not that of the site owner. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material without the owners permission. If you copy news or articles include a link back to the original site. Threads/Posts may be deleted on request. No other links without permission.
BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION: Your question has probably been asked before, so please use the
SEARCH FUNCTION, as we grow tired of answering the same question again and again.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Holiday Decisions

Forgot to add as well John, while you're at Myvatn.. if you're at that hotel I mentioned you'll see an amazing crater in the distance.. called Hverfjall.. it's around 600ft high from the surrounding area to the highest point around the crater rim, and it's maybe a 5 mile hike from the hotel.. I just decided to go for it one day and it's well worth the walk.. the views from the top are spectacular across the lake and surrounding area.. and the inside of the crater is wicked - it's full of grafitti made of boulders and stones!

My keyboard's running out of ink....

Sounds like you got your fingers burnt the first time at Hotel Reynihlid! We're not staying at that one no, I'll send you details of where we'll be if you like though.

We'll have to check if we're able to do Dettifoss in a standard vehicle, I'll also ask my workmate how he did it as he drove around Iceland for a few days last summer time. In any case we're certainly prepared for long days and we do have an early morning flight once we're there. Not too mention near-constant daylight hours! I'm taking a sleeping mask so I can at least try and get decent shut-eye and be up early each day in order to head out.

I'll take your advice about Askja – sounds pretty rough and obviously recommended as a day trip. You've certainly got me with the stunning views, including your post above about the 600ft crater! I got myself some kick-ass walking boots so nothing is going to stop me exploring/negotiating rough terrain, even if I have to crawl! There's so much to see and do, we're certainly not going to be stuck for ideas. Anyhow, I'm falling asleep at my keyboard so I'll write some more when I've a bit more time in the week (and when I've read up on activity days!) before I go. :)

Please take a look at:
    My Photostream on Flickr

Oh, sulphur lakes – I know they're common in Myvatn but I wondered if that was the case across the whole of Iceland? It's certainly interesting as to how sulphur forms inside the lakes, I imagine it has a lot to do with the hot springs. A guy I spoke to in one of the outdoorwear shops yesterday was telling me that Icelanders heat their houses from geothermal hotspots i.e. from the springs. That is, it's converted to electricity. Everything just seems so pure and clean.

Please take a look at:
    My Photostream on Flickr

Thread Information