Cookie Policy: This web site uses cookies. By using this site you agree to our cookie policy.
Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to the T&C. This is an information forum, and it is just that information, all views are of the individual poster and not that of the site owner. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material without the owners permission. If you copy news or articles include a link back to the original site. Threads/Posts may be deleted on request. No other links without permission.
BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION: Your question has probably been asked before, so please use the
SEARCH FUNCTION, as we grow tired of answering the same question again and again.
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: mathare's Poker Diary

5th September 2009
    At last - things have started to go my way! :)

I played 12 STTs yesterday and cashed in half of those - 2 x 1st, 2 x 2nd and 2 x 3rd for a profit of $24, a daily ROI of 36.36%. Woohoo! Things haven't been perfect by any means though. I am still having a few focus issues, especially in the afternoon with the racing bets to check too. I put the bets on at lunchtime then play poker but most of the time I leave orders that I need to (OK, like to) check have been matched. I can work round that or try hard to overcome it though, and it's not a huge issue really given I am only playing four STTs at a time.

I have made a few mental adjustments too. I read those Chris Ferguson articles, along with some of his other stuff and I think some of it really sank in. I am trying to focus more on making the right decisions at the tables and letting the results look after themselves. I'm not berating myself for bad play but noting it down and making sure I review key hands after the event to make sure I learn from these situations. I am also trying to lighten up and enjoy the game more. It's supposed to be fun and even though I am playing full time it shouldn't ever become a chore. Recently I have half been thinking about making sure I play as many STTs as possible but now I am happy to sacrifice some volume for better performances and hopefully a better bottom line.

In the spirit of mixing play with analysis and learning let's look back at yesterday's events shall we? I started to write this yesterday but ran out of time as it can take so blooming long.

1. Eliminated in 8th
    Things got off to a bad start when I lost half my stack on only the fourth hand. Blinds are 10/20 and I raise to 60 UTG+1. I get two callers. The flop comes 2-6-3 rainbow. I bet 120 into a pot of 210 to see where I stand with my overpair. I can't see anyone connecting with the potential straight nor playing 22 or 33 in this manner so the only hands I fear are bigger pairs and 66. One caller and the other folds. The turn is a 7 which doesn't affect the straight to my mind; it was possible on the flop but I still don't think anyone has connected with it. 77 gets added to the list of hands to worry about though. The pot is 450 so I lead out for 250 and get a curious raise to 580 total. An odd sized raise I ponder the significance of. I am behind to 22, 33, 66, 77, AA, KK and QQ as well as curious two-pair hands I can't see featuring here so that's 7 of the pairs beating me. He's called all the way and this is his first aggressive action so did the 7 help him? I call the raise anyway. The river is a 4 meaning if he was playing 55 he now has the straight so that's another pair I need to worry about, along with hands like A5. But who would play such a hand in this manner? It doesn't make sense. Confused, I check. He bets 720 all-in and I have 740 behind. Argh - what to do, what to do. I still have half my starting stack and we're only on the first level. Do I really want to go bust with JJ against a higher pair (which is what I have started to convince myself he has but has played them badly)? No, I don't, so I fold. He flashes me AQo as he drags the pot. I don't tilt as such but that does bother me. About a dozen hands later I lose 6xBB with AKo when I raise pre-flop, get a caller and miss everything and am forced to fold to his action. I couldn't risk bluffing it all away here. The next interesting hand was JJ UTg with a stack of 515 and blinds of 25/50. I shoved and only stole the blinds despite the fact I expected/hoped I'd get a caller. Oh well. And that was it till the end came with A9o against 66. I shove one off the button who calls and the blinds fold. He hits another 6 on the flop to signal my demise. That first JJ hand did the main damage, after that I was always going to struggle. Be interested to hear how others would have played that hand.

2. Won
    I'd folded till we were 6-handed then got a nice double up with KK v ATo and again two hands later with AKo v KQo which really set me up nicely. Four-handed I got yet another double up when I checked my option after the SB called. I had 96o so wasn't expecting to do much other than fold on the flop. The flop came Q-5-8 giving me a gutshot draw. He checked and I checked behind. The turn was the dream 7 completing my nicely hidded straight. He bet 300, I raised to 900, he min-raised to 1500 and I shoved for 3400 total. Oddly he called. The river was a 2 and completed the flush draw, which I had been slightly worried about but he only had top two pair that he had badly overplayed giving me a great chip stack, over half the chips in play. I folded through the bursting bubble before losing a chunk of chips in a blind v blind confrontation. The button folded and the SB raised my big blind to 600 (blinds of 100/200) which smacked of a steal so I re-raised to 1500. He shoved over the top for 2440 total and I called the extra 940. It was his 77 against my K8 so he was slightly ahead. Another seven on the flop prevented me from getting anywhere near his hand and I doubled him up levelling the stacks out a bit but making me the short stack with around 3500, 1000 below the average stack. I then turned thief to rebuild a stack putting pressure on the others, sometimes with nothing but often with a hand. I had built my stack up to 6510 and the chip lead before entering a long period of folding trash and getting unplayable situations. This kept me out the way of the other stacks tangling and in doing so I folded my way into heads-up. I was lucky to get some hands along the way but I also feel I played it quite well despite being down 2:1 in chips at the start. I soon overhauled that and built on my own lead steadily but the clincher was my 99 holding up against his K7o with all the money going in pre-flop. He just had me covered by my ATo was enough to see off his Q6o and secure the win for me.

3. Eliminated in 5th
    I lost 180 chips on the second hand with AQ against 88 then it was the blinds attacking my stack that reduced it to 880 by the time we were at blinds of 50/100. The table was five-handed and it was folded round to the SB who min-raised to 200. I had 77 in the BB - call and take a flop with a view to getting the rest in there unless it comes nasty or get it all in now with fold equity? I went for the latter and the SB called (he had a massive stack so could afford to do so) with KQo. He hit both his hole cards on the flop, another King on the turn for the full house and then to rub it in the 7 came on the river to give me a lower full house. I was drawing dead so to make it appear in the stats as a beaten full house (which it truly was, I know) is just mean really. I don't mind my play here though, just the wrong result at the end of it.

4. Eliminated in 3rd
    The blinds had eaten away at my stack to leave me with 970 and blinds of 75/150. Five handed I was second to act pre-flop with K9o and felt I had to shove. I picked up a caller from the SB with AQo and swore. Fortunately I hit a King on the flop and doubled up, crippling the SB at the same time. I then combined stealing and folding to slowly build my stack. I won another good hand with 44 when I rasied UTG and the BB called. I hit a 4 on the flop and bet out for the minimum. The turn blanked so I bet out again for 450 and again the BB called. The river completed a full house for me so I bet again for 1200 into a pot of around 2200 but this time the BB folded. I still won around 1100 chips though. I won a similar amount several hands later against the same player when I rivered a straight with T9s against his AQs. He led out on most streets but check-called the river. I know I got lucky here but he was min-betting so I had the odds most of the time, certainly when you include implied odds. I tightened up, as I could afford to do with a decent stack, waiting for the bubble to burst, which it duly did. When it did pop the stacks were around 3500, 4500 (mine) and 5500 so it was quite even really. I was taking shots and picking up a few small pots and stealing a few blinds. It was a three-stage death for me really when I lost nearly a third of my stack with J7o against Q7o. I flopped second pair on an A-T-J board, turned two pair when a 7 was dealt but lost to a straight when a K came on the river. Two hand later I lost over half of what I had left against the short stack when I had JJ up against his AA. The end came with 99 against T9o. I flopped a set but the board came 8-9-5-7-6 to give him a rivered straight to the Ten and eliminate me. I made the right moves most of the time but they didn't always work out as desired.

5. Eliminated in 3rd
    Some mentalist was moving all-in a lot on the first level when he still had around 45xBB left so when he did it on a hand when I had KK I called him. He had A5o and the board came 7-T-7-K-6 to give me a full house and eliminate that muppet early on. There was then nothing to write home about for many orbits unless you'd send a postcard about me stealing a few blinds and folding some blinds away. I was building a steady stack and with blinds at 50/100 I had 2600 - over twice the stack I usually have at this point - when I got dealt 88 on the button. I raised pre-flop to 300 and got a caller from the BB. The flop came 5-4-3 so I led out with my overpair only for the BB to shove over the top of me. I didn't fancy calling 1400 total so I folded away the 600 I had put in the pot so far. I stole all those chips back and more in the next orbit and a bit. My next key hand was AKo against TT when the table was down to 5 players. One off the button I raised pre-flop to 450 (3xBB) with a stack of just over 3000. The BB had just over 2000 before posting and shoved all-in over the top of my raise. It's a move I'd have made with his stack and hand in that situation too but I made the fairly easy call. I was looking to get a lot of chips in and hopefully face two big cards (smaller than my AK, obviously) but TT made it pretty much a coin flip. I needed the river to pair the King before I could take down the pot though. Phew. We were now 4-handed so I switched back to tight waiting for the bubble to burst with a stack that could survive quite well. The plan worked well enough and when the bubble burst stacks were roughly 5000 (me), 2500 and 6000 so I was well in contention. I folded loads more crap hoping the big stack would pressure the short stack but I think I played it too passively and could have stolen more to keep myself in better condition if I am honest about it all. I then lost nearly all my chips against the previously short stack who had just about caught me up. I made a standard raise to 600 (blinds 100/200) on the button for the SB to then shove all-in. I had 88 and quite fancied my chances so I called - a little loose in hindsight but at the time I was thinking that we were probably coin-flipping for 10% of the prize pool (the difference between 2nd and 3rd) and that a win here could see me go into heads up with a cheap lead and perhaps win the whole thing quite comfortably. He flipped ATs so it was indeed a coin flip. He paired the turn and river though so I lost out. I had a few hundred chips left but they went a few hands later when I had no option but to put them in with Q3s and got called by JJ that went on to make quads. Comprehensively beaten there. I didn't play that well 3-handed, I recognise that. Lessons learned for the future I hope.

6. Eliminated in 4th
    I won a nice chunk early on with AK (adding 300 to my stack with blinds at 10/20) and that was it for a while. I then spiked another good hand with JJ UTG holding up against 55 UTG+1. I lost my bottle a bit on the turn and river for some reason though and could have made more on this hand. Despite that I went on with a stack of a tad over 2300, nice when blinds are still 25/50. The blinds then started to do their thing as I got round after round of unplayable hands, although I did steal a few along the way. It all went in with 44 UT4 with the game down to 4 players. Blinds were 75/150 and I shoved for 1355 (around 9xBB) UTG with 44 getting a caller in the shape of the SB with A5s. The board was 5-3-2-3-T so the Ace or 6 I had been screaming for after the flop failed to materialise and I was out. We were coinflipping (I was 51.59% to win) and I think it was probably the right move in the circumstances. I had been tight for several orbits and finally got a playable hand with good fold equity. The SB's call was loose given I could easily have had a dominating Ace in that situation but so be it.

7. Eliminated in 6th
    My stack had been eroded by the blinds for a couple of levels and was down to 1335 when I was suddenly dealt back to back beauties. I got KK and got a short stack to call all-in for 260 with JTo which was crushed by the set I made on the turn. Next hand I got QQ and got the short stack to commit his 800 all-in pre-flop with 77. I made a set on the flop and busted him, dragging his chips into my stack. I sat back for a while but stupidly lost 450 chips with 85o after a free look at the flop from the BB. The flop of 7-T-9 gave me an open-ended straight draw so with implied odds I called a small bet of 150. The turn was a 5 and an 8 on the river gave me two pair but gave any J or 6 a straight. The turn was checked but I called a river bet of 200 in case my two pair were good and he didn't have a 6 or a J. He had A6o and took the pot. I still had over 2000 and blinds were only 50/100 so I was still in decent order. I got JJ UTG and made my standard pre-flop raise to 300. The BB called but folded to my c-bet on a scary 9-A-K flop. I raised pre-flop with KJs but had to fold to significant action on a flop I missed completely losing 450 chips. Then the blinds had a nibble at my stack before I got a double up from the SB with AKo against QTs. He paired the flop and had flush outs on the river but it came an offsuit Ace and I was still in it with nearly 3000 chips. A steal with KJo went wrong when my SB caller made a bet on the flop I couldn't call as I had nothing anywhere near it and it was too risky to raise him there. I went out a few hands later with the same hand I doubled up with previously - AKo. I made a standard button raise to 450 (75/150) after UTG had limped. UTG then called the extra 300 and we saw a flop of 8-2-5 all one suit. He min-bet so I called with overcards figuring him for the flush draw with at least one high card. The turn was an offsuit Ace so when UTG bet 600 I shoved for 1665 total. He made the very easy call with QJs having flopped a flush. The Ace of the same suit came on the river to taunt me. I didn't put him on a flopped flush I must admit. When the turn came offsuit I still had him on the draw. I got my money in ahead though...

8. Eliminated in 8th
    There's little of interest happened before I busted out here really. The game was less than half an hour old so we were still on level 3 (25/50) when I managed to get it all in pre-flop with AKs, and by all I mean my stack of 1265. How? I was in mid-late position and re-raised an early position raiser. He raised to 200 and I re-raised to 500 to see how much he liked his hand. A lot, apparently as he shoved all in for another two grand. I thought and then called figuring I was only really dead to Aces and Kings. He had Aces and busted me convincingly. I'm quite disappointed with how I played this. I don't mind the re-raise - it could have been bigger to be honest but either way he'd have put me all in with Aces. I didn't figure anyone would play Aces quite like that so in hindsight perhaps I shouldn't be too disappointed. Live and learn.

9. Eliminated in 2nd
    Not much of interest until I doubled up on the fourth level with KQs against AJo. My stack of 1295 was drip-fed into the pot with a pre-flop raise, just under a half pot bet when I paired my King on the flop and the rest in on the turn. He had paired his Jack on the flop also but the rets of the board was no help to him and I won a nice pot. I lost half my stack a couple of orbits later calling an all-in raise (1310 with blinds at 75/150) from the SB. I had AKo he had JTo of the same suits so his flush outs were counterfeited too. He hit a Jack on the flop and turn with the river pairing the board to give him a full house. Grrr. Right move, wrong result again. I won all the chips back 3 hands later though with 77 against AT when the board missed us both. I shoved in middle position five-handed with a stack of 1280 and get a caller from the button with ATo. He was the big stack so could afford the call. My pocket pair held up and I was back in the game nicely. On the bubble I stole a few blinds and pinched some pots with solid c-betting to build my stack further. I lost some of this to the rising blinds as the short stacks started to fight back but when the bubble burst I still had a reasonable stack of 3210 with blinds at 100/200 and was second in chips, around 500 ahead of the short stack. Again I played a little too passive three-handed and could have tried stealing with some of the small Aces I was dealt rather than lose the blinds but the big stack was being fairly aggressive and making a lot of pre-flop raises (as he should). I could have re-raised him on a re-steal but didn't, I need to consider that move more in the future at this stage of the game. I folded my way into second though and got an immediate double up heads-up with 77 against KJo. He raised from the SB, I shoved over the top and he called. My sevens held up again to reduce the chip deficit significantly. Over the next few hands I dragged it back to parity and kept it round there for a while before being forced to fold some trash out of the blinds and slipping back a bit. I lost 1200 with A4o with the blinds at 200/400/a25 when the BB re-raised all-in and I felt too weak to call him when I could fold and still have 10xBB in my stack. I lost another load of blinds when I had hands that couldn't take action and as he was being quite aggressive I folded rather than get it all in with J3o or K7o. The end came with K8o when I felt I had to take a stand only to run into AQs. His high card was enough to win the thing. Again possibly too passive heads-up when I could perhaps have taken the initiative more and tried to shove some hands I folded instead. That's something I can work on though. Phil Shaw's book on sit'n'go strategies references some optimal heads up play tables from The Mathematics of Poker by Chen and Ankenman which I have on my 'to read' pile but it looks quite heavy going. I should try to work my way through it sometime though as that may be useful in the future.

10. Eliminated in 6th
    I maintained my stack by winning smallish pots with KQs and AKs at the 50/100 level but each pot was only worth around 4xBB profit so I wasn't building a big stack by any means. The blinds rose and began to eat my chips away so when I got AKo in late position with blinds at 100/200 it seemed natural to shove all-in for 1255. I sucked the SB into calling with a dominated hand of AJo but he flopped a flush draw that completed on the turn and I was out. Once again, right move but the wrong result. Not much I can do about those.

11. Won
    I got a treble up with pocket Aces when the blinds were 50/100 to make things interesting. I got the same hand 6 hands later and made a standard 3xBB raise to 300 on the button. The BB called. The flop was Q-8-J, the BB checked so I bet out again for 400 into a 650 pot. Again the BB called. The turn was another J - he checked and I checked behind as I was now behind to any Jack. It also put three to a flush on the board. I could (should?) have bet out to see where I stood but I am rubbish in situations like this and never know whether I should bet out or check. Every time I do bet out I seem to get called/raised by hands that have me crushed and every time I check it seems I am ahead - I can never get it right. The river was a brick and I called his bet of 500 (pot was 1450). Again I could have raised but didn't for the same reasons as I checked behind on the turn. Did the turn help him and he was trying to check-raise me after I bet the flop after his check? If so then he bets out on the river, if I raise he's going to re-raise, probably all-in and I am put to a tricky decision. I called and won when he showed 97o - yes, 9-7 offsuit. He had a flush draw that missed on the river but he only had a gutshot on the flop so what was he doing calling my bet? Giving me chips, sure, but what else? I won a similar sized pot and burst the bubble a few hands later with ATo against A8s. He paired his 8 on the flop but I hit a Ten on the turn to give me the pot and ensure I finished in the money. I had the chip lead too with a stack of 6000 facing stacks of 4250 and 3250. I played better 3-handed in this one stealing a fair amount pre-flop to make sure I maintained my chip lead. Unfortunately I lost 3700 with JJ after I raised to 450 (3xBB) from the button and the SB shoved for 3695 total. I called as I would be a coin-flip with overcards and only really behind to QQ+. He held AQo and hit his Queen on the river. Oooh! I then went steal crazy to rebuild my short stack getting another double up via a shove with ATo in the SB when the button folded. I paired the flop and turn to crush his A4s and won back the chips I had lost with JJ earlier. As chip leader once more I got busy stealing and pressurising the other stacks into making tricky decisions. I lost all these chips and more back to the same guy with A9s against his ATo. He had hit two pair on the flop, I had paired my Ace. He just called my bet there. The turn seemed like a good card for me as it paired my 9 but it put three to a flush on the board. I bet 600 into a pot of 1000 and he shoved for 4015 total. I put him a flush draw so called him down. He was on a flush draw - which hit on the river incidentally - but I was already beaten by his higher two pair anyway. Losing that one hurt and there was now less than 1000 between me and the short stack. Two hands later I put the short stack out when my A9o had his A5o dominated. He raised all-in pre-flop from the SB and I made the (loose?) call. I rivered a flush to make sure I won the hand. I was down 2:1 in chips for heads-up. I got aggressive and over the next 10 hands managed to chip up another 1000 chips or so. I doubled up with A2o against J8o when we both paired the flop (him the J, me the Ace, obviously). The end came two hands later when he shoved his short stack in with Q7o only to run into my KTs and my high card held up. Winner! I fought back nicely from losing big chunks of chips several times three-handed when it just wouldn't go my way - JJ v AQo, for example. The A9 v AT hand was frustrating but that's poker. I didn't give up and gave myself a chance to win it with aggressive play.

12. Eliminated in 2nd
    I lost 360 (blinds 10/20) early on with AA. I raised to 60 in late position and got two callers, including the BB. The middle position caller bet 100 on the 6-9-7 two suited flop after the BB checked so I raised to 300 with my overpair trying to shut down any straight or flush draws. The BB folded and the original raiser shoved all in for 1380 total. Did I want to call an extra 1000 with AA on a draw-heavy board and risk early elimination? Folding leaves me with more than two-thirds of my stack to play with so I did indeed fold. Nothing then for a while till I doubled up with AQo against 88. The button raised my BB to 300 (50/100) so I shoved all-in for 1000. He made the call - I paired the flop and turn to double up. I doubled up again (after folding for several orbits) with AQ against AJo when my better kicker made all the difference. I won another big pot with KK a few orbits later. I was on the button and called an all-in raise before me. Blinds were 100/200 and the all-in was for 2765 so a big bet. He turned over AQo and I was drawing very thin when the flop came A-A-8. The turn was a dream though - one of the two remaining Kings to give me a full house. I only needed to dodge the last remaining Ace and the other 8s on the river, which I did and soared into the chip lead. Four-handed next hand I raised UTG with KTs and got raised all-in by the short-stacked BB. I called the extra 700 or so chips and faced AKo. His Ace held up but I still had the chip lead. I played passively again surrendering my chip lead waiting for the bubble to burst. When it did I was fortunate enough to fold my way into second with 3rd being eliminated just three hands later. I then doubled up a few hands later with KTo heads up against A6o when I shoved all-in pre-flop for 4000 (10xBB) and rivered a straight. I built on this advantage till I had a chip lead of over 2:1 then doubled him up with A2o against KK. I raised his pre-flop limp all-in on a steal but he made the very easy call. His hand easily held up to put him slightly ahead. I scrapped back into the lead with some aggressive play before losing 6550 with K7o against KJo. My pre-flop aggression getting me in trouble again. I held on for a few more hands but the end came with my 96o being crushed by his A6s. I tried. I was aggressive and played quite well heads-up but I mis-timed some of my plays is all.

I have to admit it takes quite a while to do these analyses. I need to find a way to speed them up but think they are worth it as I learn a lot more when I write things down. Maybe I should focus on those STTs where I finished outside the money with a quick look at 3rd places in case I should have done better rather than go through each event in full. I could perhaps pick fewer key hands too. I'll see how it goes in the future. It would be a shame to drop this 'feature' as I do think it is useful and helps me learn more about my play and where I am going wrong, as well as what I am doing right. That way I can reinforce the good behaviour and change the bad. It gives you lot a few chances to critique my play too I guess. But it probably took me two hours or more to write up these 12 events so that's getting on for as long as it took to play them!

5th September 2009 (part two)
    Just when you think you have got things cracked and are finally heading in the right direction it all goes wrong again. 11 STTs played this afternoon and only three cashes - a 2nd and two 3rds. That's a loss of $29 today :(

After reading (most of) Phil Shaw's book on STTs I have decided to open up a little in the first couple of levels and try to see some cheap flops with hands that can win a lot of chips like high suited connectors and small pairs. They are usually quite easy to play post-flop - either you hit your hand or you don't and if you don't then check-fold out of there. I'm hoping that this way I won't always be suffering with a short stack when the blinds start to rise and could compete much earlier. We'll see how it works out though.

I'm not going to have time to analyse my exit in all the events right now as I need to go out shortly but I will put it all up tomorrow for certain so we can all see where I went wrong and learn from my mistakes. But for now I am trying to remain upbeat and confident in my play and keep biding my time till the change of luck comes along and I start to get the results I think my play deserves. I think the analysis of today's play will see me using my stock phrase a lot - "right move, wrong result"

6th September 2009

The analysis of the STTs played yesterday afternoon...

1. Eliminated in 4th
    I had been building a stack early on thanks to some good hands like AKs (against AJs) and AA rather than small pairs and suited connectors hitting good flops. This was enough to fight the rising blinds for a while but I got caught on one hand with the blinds at 50/100. I got a free look out of the BB with two limpers including the SB. I had 95o and bet out 200 into a pot of 300 when the flop came K-5-K. I'm not so sure about this move any more but it got one caller with the SB folding. The turn came a 6 and I led out for 400 into a pot of 700. The UTG limper raised me to 1200 and at that point I lose all interest, as well as 700 chips leaving me with a tad over 1000. I doubled up seven hands later with 44 on the button holding up against AQs in the BB. I went out around 4 orbits later with A8o against 77. It was folded to me in the SB so I shoved with the Ace for 1245 with the blinds at 75/150. The big stack in the BB called and hit a 7 on the flop to eliminate me. It was a decent Ace and were I up against another Ace there are more kickers lower than mine than above. As it was I was coin flipping with the pocket pair. I don't think that was the wrong move given my stack. The stacks going in to this hand were 3490, 3125, 1245 (me) and 5640 so I needed a double up to get back into the competition. The stacks in second and third had enough to do serious damage to the big stack and were close enough to one another that they would want to avoid each other so I had to take my shots when they came and I felt this was one I needed to take.

2. Eliminated in 5th
    I got AJ first two hands but couldn't do anything with it on either occasion but then again I did lose the minimum on each hand. I limped with pocket 7s but folded to a big pre-flop reraise. The only changes to my stack after that were the blinds until I was able to double up with 99 on the button. I limped in and four of, including both blinds, saw the flop. I had an overpair to the 8-2-6 board so called a 150 bet (pot was 200) from the SB. The turn was a 6 so I needed to find out if the SB was playing a 6 in his hand (I didn't think he had a pocket pair above my 9s, or 88 or 22). He check-called my turn bet of 300. The river came another 6 giving me a full house. His action so far told me he didn't have 88 or 22 and I seriously doubted he had the case 6 so I was only worried about TT+. I had a full house though so when he checked I shoved for 515 and he gave me a crying call with K8o. I lost 8xBB with AKo when the turn put too many draws up there and the action was such that I didn't like my hand so folded. From then on it was fold, fold, fold as I had nothing playable for 5 or 6 orbits. Five-handed I got 44 on the button when UTG raised to 1200 with blinds at 75/150. That's a hand that doesn't want to see a flop, I thought, and I was getting desperate with a stack of 930 so I called all-in hoping I was coin-flipping. here was dead money from the blinds in the pot so as long as I was at least 45% to win this was a +EV situation for me. In fact I was narrowly ahead of his ATo (I was right, he probably didn't really want to see a flop) with a 53% chance of winning. However he hit an Ace on the flop to take the lead and ultimately the pot. I hate calling all-in but that bet was so suspicious I had to go for it with just over 6xBB in my stack.

3. Eliminated in 2nd
    Once more nothing doing till the 50/100 level when my stack had dropped to 905 and I was forced to go for a double up. The cutoff raised to 200 so I shoved over the top for my whole stack on the button. The cutoff called and tabled KK which left my 55 in trouble. The flop came 2-4-A giving me gutshot straight outs. The turn was a 6 which doesn't change anything really. I had six outs on the river (two 5s, four 3s) and fortunately one hit - a 5 to give me three of a kind. Phew! I started to build/maintain my stack through the rising blinds and as players were eliminated. Five-handed with blinds at 100/200 UTG+1 raised to 600 and I pushed my whole stack of 2380 in with JJ. The raiser had me covered by 5 chips so it was a decision for virtually all his chips too. Did he have a hand he liked that much? Apparently he thought AJo was good enough and called. He didn't hit his Ace and I basically got rid of him and took the chip lead. I lost some of those chips (and the lead) taking a few shots to try and get the bubble out the way but I survived the bubble with a reasonable stack anyway (4400 on first hand in the money, so an average stack really). I got another double up to take a massive chip lead when I tangled with the chip leader. I had 4455 chips, he had 6050. I raised on the button to 600 with blinds of 100/200/a25 and he pushed from the SB. Hmmm. Did I like AJo enough to risk elimination? The third place player had just under 3000 in his stack going into this hand so around 15xBB so no-one was being forced to play hands at this stage. A win here would set me up nicely for the win and I was either coin flipping against an underpair, crushed by JJ+ or in good shape against any hand other than AQ and AK. I called and he showed ATo. Phew. My kicker won the battle and I now had two-thirds of the chips in play. A few orbits later it was folded to me in the SB so I made my standard raise to 600 only for the BB to shove again for 2845. KQo and it costs me around a third of my stack to call. Win this and I have a 7:1 chip lead heads up and am virtually assured victory. KQo could stack up OK against his pushing range so I call but am dominated by AKs which makes a flush on the river. I still have a narrow chip lead but 3rd place is struggling against two much bigger stacks now. He busts a few orbits later and stacks are roughly even for the heads up battle, which lasts just 3 hands! I raise to 1200 (200/400/a25) from the SB and he raises me all-in. I have KQo (I hate that hand) but call anyway. He shows ATo and takes it with a bigger high card. I don't mind my play in this event, despite losing some big pots with my hated KQo.

4. Eliminated in 5th
    Blinds are 75/150 and my stack has gone backwards with the rising blinds. Five-handed I'm second to act and shove for 1085 with pocket 7s. The button calls as does the SB (who has been fond of huge overbets in the earlier levels). The button has JJ and the SB shows A5s. He called two shoves with A5s?!? He won it though when he made two pair on the river eliminating two players and taking a massive chip lead with which he went on to win the tournament. I don't mind the shove with 77 in this situation as I was in good position for the shove and had a short stack that required me to start taking risks. Right move, wrong result - again!

5. Eliminated in 3rd
    I didn't win or lose any big pots in this event it seems until I busted with JTo. I had basically folded my way into the money and had only 1425 at the 100/200 level. I got unsuited braodway connectors on the button with the short stack needing to fight hard to have any chance of second place so it was a god opportunity to gamble. I was dominated by the SB's KJo which held up. I was lucky to get into the money really so can't complain about going out taking a shot.

6. Eliminated in 8th
    I won one pot in this event before I went out. One. Not that it lasted that long (15 minutes). I stupidly busted on the second level with AQo. UTG+2 limped along with the button and the SB. I should have raised to thin the field but just checked. The flop came 3-A-7 and I bet 90 to see where I stood. I then called a raise to 210 total from the button so two of us went to the turn of 9c. I check-called another bet of 210 and looking back I don't really know why. I had no idea where I stood on this hand and had given up the betting lead. It got worse on the river (4h) when I check-raised all-in after his 600 bet. Why? What was I beating? There are no flushes and the only straights are with 52 and 65 which wouldn't be played in this manner. A pre-flop limp and the betting action so far fits with a pocket pair that has made a set but I am praying he has TT-KK or a hand like AT or AJ. Unlikely isn't it? He calls the extra 370 and shows me 33 for a flopped set. Obviously. That was bloody awful! I deserved that really.

7. Eliminated in 6th
    I didn't win a single pot in this event as it happens. The blinds have taken their toll and reduced me to 820 on the button. UTG+1 min-raises to 300 so I shove with AJo. The raiser calls with AKo and busts me. With blinds at 75/150 I needed to make a move as I had under 6xBB and this seemed like a good spot to do it, but it just didn't work out.

8. Eliminated in 7th
    I middle-position with just 1107 when the blinds were 75/150 I took a real loose gamble with Q9s. I had been playing tight and thought I could get a steal through unless I met a real hand along the way. The button had AKs and despite hitting two of my suit on the flop I couldn't make a hand and was out. There was a micro-stack that had acted before me else I wouldn't have made this move at all. Either way though it was still a loose raise and I could have waited another few hands I think. The blinds weren't set to raise for another few minutes so I could have gone through the blinds once more before really being forced into action I suppose.

9. Eliminated in 4th
    I doubled up at 50/100 with A4s against KQo (ha!) when my high card held up, fortunately. We were five-handed and I shoved for 1155 second to act expecting to steal the blinds, especially given the SB had a similar sized stack so would be all but eliminated if he called and lost but winning wouldn't propel either of us up the ladder much, just put us back in the fight somewhat. I figured I would either get the steal through as it was a strong move with over 10xBB and might even get hands like A9 to fold or I'd get a desperation call from the SB, which I did. As I hoped he would have he had high cards but no Ace and it held up. I was lucky to some degree but I was also 60/40 to win once he called. My exit came in a really annoying manner. Four-handed it was folded to the SB who limped and I checked my option with Q5. The flop came 6-8-7 to give me an open-ended straight draw but was two-suited so the flush draw was in the back of my mind. The action went check, check which looking back at the hand so far was potentially an error as I could have bet out but I didn't want to have to fold to a raise so I wanted to check and see if I hit the turn. The turn was a 4 to complete my straight - oh yes! The SB led out for 300 (a pot sized bet) which I raised to 900. He reraised me all-in. Hello. There were two flush draws on board now, did he have either of them? I had a straight though and that's a great hand here isn't it? Easy call....all the way to the point when the SB shows you T9 for the flopped nut straight. Oh poo! I shouldn't (and don't) fear monsters on every hand by any means so had completely missed the fact he could have flopped a straight. I was thinking about flush draws, two pair and perhaps sets but certainly not the bigger straight. At the start of the hand I was comfortably 3rd with 1000 more chips than 4th so should have made the money in this one but for this hand. Very annoying. That said, I'm not that upset at how I played it. I was basically committed with the turn raise and having hit my hand of course I was going to get my chips in if I could. It was really unfortunate for him to have flopped the nut straight.

10. Eliminated in 3rd
    I won quite a few hands in this one but none of them were very big, it was a lot of blind-stealing basically. Similarly I lost a lot of pots but they wre mainly the blinds. Three-handed I got J9s on the button and shoved with 16xBB on the button. A big shove but I wanted to just take it down there rather than see a flop as my hand wasn't that strong. I was around 1000 behind the BB and 3000 behind the SB who called with ATs. Eek! He paired the flop and I was out in third. I was taking shots with semi-decent hands trying to represent more strength than I actually had by making a larger than normal preflop shove. I figured that unless the SB had a good hand he'd fold, and the BB would need a monster as calling and losing would cripple him. Unfortunately the SB did indeed have a good hand and made the call. Ah well. I think this is another one of those where the move was OK but the result was wrong. Most of the time I take the blinds and antes unopposed but not this time.

11. Eliminated in 5th
    I won a few hands early on to build a bit of a stack and keep me in the hunt but the blinds really took their toll when I got dealt so much rubbish. That said, I did miss several opportunities to steal blinds with not too much risk, shots I would normally take. The blinds were 100/200 when UTG+1 raised to 500. I shoved from the BB with A7 for 1300 total and got the call. It was an Ace with a medium kicker, I needed to take this chance having spurned others leaving me the short stack. The villain had JTo making me 55/45 to win but he paired the flop (along with getting an open-ended straight draw) and his hand held up. I missed too many chances to steal blinds to be competitive here. I had taken my eye of the ball it seems and played this one badly.

You may have noticed partway through the above that there was a slight change of focus and reduction in the amount of detail given for each tourney. I have tried to speed up the analysis by looking only at hands where I won/lost more than a significant number of BB and then only at blind levels that matter. If I win 200 chips at the 10/20 level so what? It's only 200 chips after all. If I lose 200 on the later levels that could just be a folded BB. So I am looking at only the best and worst hands, along with a quick glance at roughly how many hands I won/lost to give me an idea of how I was playing. I hope it works still.

6th September 2009 (part two)
    This is getting beyond a joke now. Seriously, I am closing to having had enough of poker for a very long time. It's just got ridiculous to the point of mega frustration and what's worse is I no longer have any idea what to do about it. Were it as simple as reading a book to help sort my game out, or watching some videos to pick up on where I am going wrong or whatever I would gladly do it - for the right price. I'm grinding $5 SnGs so I don't want a site that costs me $30 a month or whatever because it's going to take me 40 STTs to earn that back if (and it's a huge if) I make 15% ROI (which I am nowhere near but everyone tells me should be possible). I don't know how much of my recent poor run of results is pure luck/variance and how much is of my own making, nor do I really know how to tell.

I settled down this afternoon, just after lunch with the intention of putting in the hours and playing around 16 SnGs. I have got through six before my patience has run out. Either I am truly the unluckiest person alive or I am really not cut out for SnGs, and if it's neither of those then it must be that PokerStars has it in for me. 6th, 3rd, 5th, 3rd, 8th and 4th. Three times I was busted against Kings, and once against Aces. I mean, really. Let's have a quick look at these six tournaments then I will continue my whinge!

1. Eliminated in 6th
    I'd picked up some reasonable pots with 88, QQ and AA throughout but not many other pots had been dragged my way. Seven-handed the short stack doubled up through me. He raised to 450 (blinds 75/150) with a stack of 870 UTG so was pot committed. I raised all-in (2090) from the SB with JJ and got the expected call. He had A9s making me a 68/32 favourite on the hand. He rivered an Ace to take the pot down. I folded through the next couple of orbits of trash (although I did get a couple of hands such as KQo and KJo that I should maybe have taken a shot with but each time someone raised with a much better hand after I had folded so I perhaps dodged bullets there). The end came with JTo when it is folded round to me in the SB and I shove for my last 1070. The BB calls with AQo and pairs both on the flop. I have outs with the board reading Q-A-J-9 on the turn meaning any King or 8 gives me a straight and a Jack gives me trips to put me ahead of his two pair meaning I have 10 outs. None of them appear on the river, mind. Why do I always run into a bigger hand when I am forced to make moves? Why does the board give me hope?

2. Eliminated in 3rd
    Six-handed the SB raises to 300 (50/100 blinds) so I reraise all-in from the BB with AKo. He tables A7s with my kicker holding up to double me through. This is a stack I am able to build on and survive through the bubble nicely, getting into the money with just short of an average stack. I take the chip lead for a while then lose it misplaying a couple of hands but I don't lose too many chips, thankfully. The end comes with QTo a few hands later. The button min-raises to 400 with blinds at 100/200 so I shove over the top for 3140 total. He insta-calls having trapped me with AA. Again I get open-ended straights out going to the river but miss them all. The min-raise wasn't strength and anything less than a monster he has to fold to such a re-raise right? Unfortunately he had a monster and try as I might I couldn't crack his Aces.

3. Eliminated in 5th
    Having edged my stack up I then suffer a setback with AKo when I make a big re-raise preflop and get stuck on the hand. UTG raises to 150 (blinds of 25/50) so I reraise to 500. He calls and we both check a 2-3-8 two-suited flop. He shoves all-in on the turn (Tc) and I lose all interest in this hand. I rebuild as the game gets short-handed but also stay out the way of big swings to my stack until I lose 1000 chips with 77 against A4s when he pairs his Ace on the flop. Another 65/35 that goes the way of the underdog. I won the chips back next hand with A7o v QJo (55/45 in my favour) but 5 hands later it is all over. UTG with blinds at 100/200 I feel forced to move in with JTo and hope I can take down the blinds as my stack is weak at 1295. It's folded to the BB who makes an incredibly easy call with KK. The flop gives me open-ended straight draw outs AGAIN coming 8-3-9 but neither the turn or river is the 7 or Q I need and I am out in 5th.

4. Eliminated in 3rd
    I'd put myself in real contention winning big pots with AQs, AJo and KQo (!) giving me a stack of 4370 four-handd with the other stacks at 3145, 1540 and 4445 so I was only just behind the chip leader. I was slipping backwards folding trash while waiting for the bubble to burst and folding KJo and A5s to big re-raises and getting blinded away. But when the bubble did burst I only lasted three more hands. QTs on the bubble and a stack of just over 11xBB meant I was prepared to shove as both other stacks were more than 3000 chips bigger than mine. This time it was the SB that had cowboys in the hole and his KK held up despite me getting a gutshot draw on the flop and additional outs on the turn when I paired the Queen but of course the river blanked on me. Out against Kings for the second time in a row.

5. Eliminated in 8th
    This event hadn't been running that long and was only on the 3rd level when I was eliminated. I have AKo in the BB with 1190 behind. UTG+2 raises to 150 and gets a caller from the SB. There's 350 sat at there waiting to be claimed and with a strong hand I want those chips, naturally. The mid-position raise could be anything so I figure a shove should win me the chips unless he has Aces or Kings. He could call with QQ or AK and perhaps AQ but surely he'd fold everything else. KK for the third time in a row, only this time the board doesn't even deign to offer me any outs to tease me and out I go in 8th. Yawn. KK doing for me three times now.

6. Eliminated in 4th
    I'd been playing well, staying out of trouble and building a stack to be competitive around the bubble. One of the stacks gets crippled and is in the BB when it is folded to me in the SB with K8s. He has 850, I have 2615 and the blinds are 75/150. I have to put him all-in if folded to me, which it is, so I do. A8o. Nice, and it holds up. He and I are now nearly level in chips. I set about trying to steal a few blinds to give me at least a lead over him but he's holding his own and picking up chips from the other two keeping me under pressure as the short stack. I go out as bubble boy with TT on the button when I shove for 1590 with the blinds at 100/200. The SB, my nearest rival in terms of stack sizes, calls with 88. Result! The flop is harmless but he picks up a third 8 on the turn. Are you kidding me? Pre-flop I was 80/20 to win that and still lost it. At least it wasn't Kings I guess

So perhaps you can see now why I have given up for a while and am thinking of giving up for a long time.

Look at my results on PokerStars now. 53 $5 STTs played for a loss of $35 or a ROI of -12.01%. OMG! 39.62% ITM is fine, I'm happy enough with that but not when that is 3 x 1st, 6 x 2nd and 12 x 3rd. 133 of the $10 STTs played for a loss of $113 (-7.72% ROI) and an ITM of a rather low 33.83%. That's 13 x 1st, 21 x 2nd and 11 x 3rd so better but still not great. There is nowhere near enough wins in there at either level. That's all for standard 9-player STTs paying 50/30/20, by the way.

Now look at the same tournaments on Empire Poker. Only 50 STTs ($10 entry) but an $80 profit with a ROI of 14.55% - which is what it should be, roughly - and an ITM of an acceptable 38.00% with 6 x 1st, 7 x 2nd and 6 x 3rd.

Why the massive difference in results? If you think about my first 50 STTs on PokerStars (at the $10 level) I did OK. I made $53 on them which is a slightly lower ROI than I had hoped for but is a profit nonetheless. So what has gone wrong since then? The graph has a massive drop in it, it looks quite terrifying actually.

I made two deposits into PokerStars of £100 (around $160) each plus unlocked a $50 bonus to give me a bankroll of $370. I had some bad forays into cash poker losing $123 there but even so my bankroll stands at just $100 on PokerStars. Where has it all gone? And where did it all go wrong, more to the point? I completed the 50th $10 STT on 'Stars on 16th August so am I suffering a downswing lasting several weeks, has my game gone to pot in that time or is it a combination of the two. I don't feel I am playing worse than I was before but I am seriously lacking confidence in my own game. I don't know what to do now though.

I can't play $5 STTs on Empire due to rake ($1) so it would have to be $10+1 STTs there and I would need to deposit a bankroll there to get myself going again after I lost a lot of it playing turbos to see if they suited me (nope). There are not enough STTs on the iPoker network - it's fine for cash but I don't rate it at all for STT action. Also, I feel I should be rewarded for putting in the hours so want a decent loyalty scheme that allows me to get something back (cash, merchandise) which is why I like 'Stars.

I understand the game well enough and have read (and understood, and absorbed) a lot of books on poker, including STTs so why am I getting the results I am? Sure, reading books doesn't necessarily make me a good player but we're talking low stakes STTs here and I should be able to grind out at least a small profit and steadily build a bankroll shouldn't I? I reckon I should be able to maintain a 10% ROI given past play and results but obviously I am nowhere near that at present.

I'm currently unemployed and likely to stay that way for a while (for health reasons) meaning I expect to have a lot of free time over the next few months. I want to use that time to do something I enjoy and that will show a long-term profit as I would like to keep some money coming in if I can, even if it is just building bankrolls rather than being used to pay off bills (my missus brings in a decent wage and we have savings we can draw on too). What else can I do to occupy the time and keep my mind engaged as well as produce a long-term profit for low outlay? I can see a few options:
    • Research into sports & horse racing systems to expand my gambling portfolio
    • Poker (!)
    • Software development - I have a few ideas for software products but I don't know how easy they will be to develop to the standard I would like or how profitable they would be, really

And then I am out of ideas. The one that appeals most is poker as I love the game, despite the hard time it has given me recently. But if I am just going to be playing through an ever decreasing bankroll because I have no idea how to win the damn game anymore then it's not the best option by a long chalk is it?

I go on holiday in a few days so will be taking a break from everything then for 10 days. I just don't know what I am going to do when I come back and that bothers me. Any thoughts on my predicament are very welcome.

Also any comments on my play throughout are appreciated. If I am playing like a muppet then by all means tell me, I'd rather everyone be honest than give praise or sympathy where none is due. I like it straight up.

Now what the hell am I going to do for the next three and a half days?

7th September 2009
    Here's the thing - I can play winning poker. I know this, my records show this. I have done it before and I can do it again. I need to look at how I did it before and then simply repeat that. Easy.

I have tried almost all forms of hold'em poker - fixed, pot limit and no-limit in cash game and tournament format. Some more than others admittedly and I know enough about myself and my preferences and natural game not to get involved in six-max games and I'm not going back to heads-up, at least not for a good while. So where have I profited in the past? I need to look at sites as well as game types to see if that tells me anything I can use going forward as I really don't want to give up the game but if I am not making money from it then I have no other choice really. I don't have any other real source of income I can draw down on to fund 'fun' poker so I need to focus on profitable poker.

The spreadsheet in which I record all my betting activities shows two clear areas I have made money from - fixed limit cash games and no-limit tournament poker, although I have sucked at latter this year according to the same spreadsheet. And who am I to argue when you look at my exploits in the turbos, double or nothings and the results I was moaning about earlier at PokerStars? Even so, they are obviously my strengths and thus where I need to focus.

No limit hold'em tournaments
    I think I have probably said pretty much all I need to say about these recently. I had a strong start to the normal STTs (on Empire) then dabbled in a few tourney formats that really didn't suit me. I went back to standard STTs at PokerStars with decent results initially but in the last few weeks this has taken a significant dip for reasons I can't really explain. My bankroll is suffering though. I am struggling at PokerStars so I could switch to a different site to see if that helps any. Except I don't have a bankroll at Empire, just $35 and I won't play the $5 games due to the rake. I have money at Bet365 but there just aren't the STTs on the iPoker network. So what to do? I need to build confidence in my game once more and get back to being a winning player.

Fixed limit hold'em cash games
    OK, I had a rotten three days playing this at PokerStars but it hasn't always been like that. This is how I got started in poker over five years ago and I have played this form of the game on and off since then. I made a real go of it at the start of this year and it was going well. I was up over $400 playing $1/2 limit at Bet365 by mid-April before things took a turn for the worse and I lost around half of that profit in a couple of months. But the fact remains that I have played this game well not that long ago so could do so again. And I have checked on one of my fears - that my limit game went wrong when I went back to NLHE STTs but that's not the case at all. In fact the dates suggest I got disillusioned with seeing my limit cash game profits slide away that I gave STTs a go again but for a goodly while it was solid limit cash for me and I was doing well.

So why did I suffer such a dip in my profits? Maybe I was lucky early on or unlucky towards the end of the run of games I played? Perhaps I got complacent. It's almost impossible to tell for sure what happened but let's not get away from the key facts here: I can play and win at limit cash games of hold'em. I built a bankroll at Bet365 this way and I could do it again.

There isn't so much written about limit poker these days as no-limit but several years back a few decent works were published and I have most of them. Small Stakes Hold'em by Sklansky et al is considered one of the best and can make you a winner up to the $5/10 games apparently. I have had the pre-flop strategy from that book printed out and pinned above my PC for a few years now. I am seriously considering playing limit cash games following this to the letter and seeing how I get on that way. I have also dug out books on limit poker by Lee Jones, Gary Carson and Matt Hilger and an reading those (starting with Carson).

One good thing about this form of the game compared to STTs is the cost of mistakes - they are less in limit cash games. You call and are behind so it costs you maybe one extra bet. Do that in a no-limit tourney and it can cost you the whole event. An hour or so invested with nothing to show for it but frustration at a slip you made. Yes, you may need to invest more in the first place by having more cash available to sit down with than you need for a few STTs but for other reasons I think cash games will suit me at present. There are time factors such as the cat wanting food or attention - it's much easier to break out from cash games and come back to them a few minutes later than it is in tourneys where you will still be blinded away and could miss some key hands or come back and find yourself with a short stack in an awful position thanks to missing a few minutes of blinds. It's easier for other players to take advantage of the fact you're sitting out in tourneys.

Then comes the question of where to play such a game. PokerStars has a better VIP program in as much as I can get more of the things I want with my points such as branded merchandise (I'm such a tart!), books etc. and I can pick up bits regularly so I feel as though I am getting rewarded for my play rather than a small cash bonus every now and then or tourney tokens like other sites. But I only have about $100 in PokerStars and that means grinding it out at $0.10-0.20 with proper bankroll management or taking a bit of a shot at $0.25-0.50 and having only 200 big bets when the recommended levels are 300+ and the more the better. I think the latter is the better option though, were I to play at 'Stars, as if I lose it all it's 'only' $100 and having 500 big bets at the micro stakes is perhaps a little bit of overkill. I could play at Bet365 where I have had such good results before and still have a suitable bankroll. I could comfortably play $0.50-1 there with my 'roll. Is it better to play smaller at PokerStars or bigger off my Bet365 bankroll? How important to me are the VIP points? Suppose I can't get into the game and end up losing, it's better to play smaller, right, and lose less.

Other Games
    What about playing other games? I could play micro stakes Omaha cash games, for example. I've not played it for real before but I know not to play danglers and that all four cards need to work together - is that enough to play at these limits and hold my own? But then again I'm not used to pot limit games having only ever played four pot limit hold'em sessions.

Miscellany
    I have been thinking about rakeback and looking into that too. I signed up for most of the big poker rooms several years ago before rakeback came along so don't have any rakeback deals. That said though I did some digging yesterday and have sent off a few enquiries about getting some of my existing accounts converted to rakeback deals. There is nothing doing at Party but I am hopeful that I can get a deal at PokerStars, which would be sweet. I'll let you know how it goes.

Conclusions
    For whatever reason I am not getting the results I want from STTs at the minute and my love for the game of poker means I will always be drawn to it so I need to find a form of the game I can win at. My records show that I can win at limit cash games and while I had bad results in them at PokerStars a couple of weeks ago it is time to drop down the stakes further, pick a solid pre-flop strategy and go with it. I know enough about post-flop play to be able to handle my own there and the books I have been re-reading have helped reinforce some ideas here.

On a normal morning I would play 6-8 STTs which at my current ROI would mean a loss of over $5 assuming I played the $5+0.50 tables. Why don't I sit down at two $0.25-0.50 limit cash tables with $15 to $20 on each and see if I can't do better than a $5 loss between now and lunchtime, eh?

7th September 2009 (part two)
    Well, first mission accomplished. I played for an hour across two tables seeing 116 hands and lost just $0.40.

I realised at this time that these Sklansky pre-flop recommendations are in a lousy format so I have reformatted them to make them more useful to me while playing and am just about to sit down again, this time at more tables and for longer. Wish me luck. My aim is obviously to make a profit but I'd settle for not losing $10 as I would on a standard STT afternoon

7th September 2009 (part three)
    Ah. What did I say earlier? I'd settle for not losing $10 as I would on an average afternoon playing STTs given the way things have been going for me recently. Yeah, well, I didn't lose $10. No, I lost a lot more than that.

The session started well with a small profit being accrued and maintained. I was playing tight and aggressive, just the way it should be. Then for some reason it all started to go wrong and I ended up down $28

I got into some awful hands too, not because I played them badly really just the way the turn and rivers were coming out at times. I turn the nut flush after raising/betting all the way with AKs only for the river to pair the board and it became obvious that there was not one, but two full houses out against me. People staying with trash in the face of my pre-flop raises with KK and hitting trips on the flop to leave me pretty much screwed. I river a nut flush and get shown a full house by a real fish. I raise pre-flop with AA and get called by Q9 which hits two pair on the flop. You know the sort of things I mean, all the ways poker can kick you in the balls and they keep coming up when I play on PokerStars.

So I have a new plan - come back iPoker, all is forgiven. I'm going back to the cash games on Bet365 but playing $0.50/1 in case I am really that bad at this game that I am going to carry on being a loser.

7th September 2009 (part four)
    I had forgotten just how many iPoker skins there are and thus how many different loyalty schemes are out there. I have been trying to compare some of them, at least for the sites I have accounts with to see where I would be best rewarded for my play if I switch to the iPoker network. It's not easy when some of the sites average things out over several months and have various levels that one would move up/down based on number of hands played and so on. It's too hard to work out how long I would play at a given site and what level I would play and how many hands I'll fit in each month so while various calculators are telling me I should go over to Paddy Power and play there I'm going to stick with Bet365 I think. I need to focus on poker and making money from the game itself not the VIP schemes and whatever that go along side it. Focus!

Tea time now, and then after that a couple of hours multi-tabling $0.50-1 at Bet365...

7th September 2009 (part four)
    Just a quick entry as the missus wants me to spend some time with her this evening. Such a different story this evening. Two tables of $0.50-$1 on Bet365 and up $8.74. Not a massive win for an hour and a half's work but it shows I can win at this game after all. And it's not as through it all went my way as the graph of the session shows...

Attached Images Attached Images

8th September 2009
    I know how indecisive I seem - it seems as though every time I have a bad session that I think of switching games or sites or limits or giving it all up. And that's how it may seem today too but I have my reasons for contemplating change.

I played all afternoon at Bet365 across three $0.50-$1 limit tables. It was an up and down session but more on that later. I want to start by talking about the Bet365 software. I used to play at Bet365 a lot, for the first few months of the year it was the only place I played. Since then I have played at other sites such as PokerStars and see how good poker client software can be. Bet365 (and I assume all iPoker clients since I think they all use the same PlayTech software) lacks several key features that I have grown used to. You can't resize the tables on Bet365 very easily. They start at a default size and can be made to occupy the full screen or multiple tables can be auto-tiled as mini-tables. Useless. Why can't I resize the table to suit me? Why, when I have multiple tables open, can't I have then auto-resized to occupy the screen and all be visible at the same time. PokerStars allows this so why can't Bet365? This is a serious problem for me as it means I can't easily play more than two tables at once on Bet365, and then I have the chat minimised so the tables fit side my side. My monitor isn't tall enough to provide the real estate for a 2 x 2 square of such tables unfortunately but it obviously would be if the tables could be a custom size. I found this afternoon that when playing three tables I had to have one table in front of the two side by side at the back. This meant I was missing some players' actions and not spotting what they were doing. I couldn't focus on all opponents in all games at once. I tried the third table on the second monitor I have hooked up but that meant I was either watching one table or two depending on which screen I was looking at so I was missing at least 9 opponents' plays. Also Bet365 should beep when it is my turn to act on a table but it doesn't always so if my attention is on another table and what's happening there I can be timed out on a hand - very annoying. And the PokerTracker HUD doesn't fit as neatly onto the Bet365 tables as it does on PokerStars.

So in short the Bet365 software is rubbish and is doing my head in. On top of that, despite the network having dozens of skins it was dead at my level this morning, and I usually like to get in a couple of hours before lunch and then 4-5 in the afternoon. It was OK in the afternoon, there were plenty of tables running but I needed to find other ways to occupy my time and mind this morning (I read a book, before you ask). This is supposed to be a major European network so where is everyone?

Rubbish software and a quiet network aren't conducive to making we want to play many hours there I have to admit. And that is why I have been considering another change of site - to Full Tilt. I wanted to have a look in the Full Tilt lobby this morning to see how busy it was but to do so you need to log in it seems, and I don't have an account with them. Yes, I could create one but I am holding out on this one till I really need it and then I will sign up on a rakeback deal as their rakeback offer seems pretty decent.

Here's my plan - and even though I wavered this afternoon this remains the plan. I'm going to continue to grind out $0.50-$1 limit on Bet365 until such time as I have made $200 profit (excluding bonuses etc). That will see me up over $500 on Bet365, more when I take the bonuses and cash in the loyalty points I am building up, at which point I will split that bankroll in two and use some of it to fund a deposit at Full Tilt and I will take my action there, playing the same level and grinding out the hours and hands to get rakeback and the deposit bonus. If I settle at Full Tilt then I will take the rest of my 'roll out of Bet365. So there you go, a plan that involves me changing rooms (quelle surprise) but not yet (shock horror!).

So how did this afternoon's session go? As I say I think I found it too hard on three tables due to the software's limitations and in the future I will only play two at once, even though that effectively halves the number of tables I can comfortably handle and thus halves my win rate. Better to play two tables well than three badly though. Anyway, I ended up losing $26.23 over a session lasting nearly four and a half hours this afternoon. Things started out not too bad, before taking a downturn, then picking up nicely followed by another downturn. I know I didn't play as well as I could, attempting to steal some blinds and hands when I had little chance of getting it through, realistically. My no-limit instincts kicking in there so I need to watch that. Blinds are defended more in limit, in my opinion - I haven't checked to see if this is fact but it makes sense when you only have to call one more small bet as the BB if raised by the button - so stealing them makes less sense. I think I have a problem playing flops when I have a big hand pre-flop but miss. I'm talking about hands like AK and AQ that see flops like T-8-3 rainbow. Bet out and try to steal the pot with high card or check it down as you have none of it? I'll come to this shortly.

I got myself into some tricky situations today that didn't quite go as planned. Had certain key cards not come the session would have been very different. Let's look at some of the biggest hands I lost (and yes, for now I am ignoring the hands where I got myself into similar situations but was fortunate that my hand held up when the key cards didn't come).

i. I have QQ in the BB. It's folded round to mid-position who raises. Everyone folds to me so I reraise and the raiser calls. The flop comes K-Q-A with two hearts (I have none) giving me a set. I bet, he raises, I reraise and he calls. OK so far? My pre-flop reraise is fine to see where I stand. I 'know' now the villain has a decent hand but it's unlikely to be AA or KK as he didn't cap it on either betting round when he had the opportunity. I put him on a hand like AK or AQ here, perhaps with a heart for the backdoor flush draw but the Ace and King of hearts are out so if he has AK he doesn't have a heart. I don't think he has two hearts - what hands would he play this way that don't include a King or Ace but are suited? So on the flop I am sure I am ahead and bet/raise as much as I can. The turn is a veritable disaster - a Jack. Now any ten gives him a straight. Could he be playing a hand including a Ten? Sure, but the likely hands given the betting are only TT, AT and potentially KTs but the latter is far less likely I would say. There are more hands I am beating than are beating me if I put him on TT-JJ (I don't think he has AA or KK and he can't have QQ), AK-AT, KQs and potentially KTs so I bet out again, partly because I think I could still be ahead of most of his range and because I don't want to give him the chance to represent the straight. He raises and I call. OK, now I really think I am behind. I think he has that Ten somewhere in there. Had he called I'd be good but he raised. Still, if the board pairs I draw out on him so there are 3 Aces, 3 Kings, 1 Queen and 3 Jacks that can help my hand. That's 10 outs, and even allowing for the fact that his range includes many hands that use up 1 or 2 of these outs I still have 8 so as long as the pot is giving me 5/1 on my hand I am in real good shape - which is why I called the raise on the turn. The river is a pretty safe 5h as even though a flush is possible it's certainly not likely so whoever was ahead on the turn is still ahead. I check-call the river bet I knew he would make as I'm not folding this pot when it's over $11 and it's $1 for me to call. He shows down ATs (diamonds) for flopped top pair and a turned straight. He was drawing thin, to those Jacks really, but got lucky on the turn and I lost $6 on the hand even though I think I played it correctly.

ii. I am dealt JJ UTG+1 and raise when UTG folds. I get a caller to my left and it is then folded round to the SB who reraises. I call as does the player to my left. The flop comes 8-5-4 all diamonds. I have the Jack of diamonds giving me an overpair and a decent flush draw. The SB bets, I raise with my overpair to see what flush draws are out there and also to see if there is a made flush out. The player to my left calls and the SB folds. The turn is an offsuit King. I am now behind to any King hand but surely only hands with the Kings of diamonds would have hung around, unless someone is playing hands like KQo with the Queen of diamonds. Similarly KJo is possible but it would be a loose call given there was an early position raiser. So I don't really fear the King that much. I bet out and get a call. He's drawing to the flush then, surely. The Ace of diamonds comes on the river completing the flush. I now make a mistake - I think. I bet and call a raise rather than check-calling. I am behind to any Ace, any King and two diamonds (King and Queen) which is too many cards and my hand now too weak to bet out against someone who has called me all the way unless I really think he has a smaller diamond but I should have let him bluff at it in that case. He had not one, but two of the cards that beat me with AQo holding the Queen of diamonds. I could have done without that river but in hindsight I cost myself a bet there too, so a loss of $5.50 should have been a loss of $4.50. OK, it would have been nice had it been a win but you see my point.

iii. I get AA one off the button. The action has been fold, limp, raise, fold, fold before it gets to me. I reraise as I don't expect both blinds to call the initial raise so I figure this is the best way to build a pot without facing too many hands. The limper and raiser call my reraise so three of us see the flop of 9-K-5, two hearts. The limper checks, the raiser bets and I reraise in an attempt to shut out flush draws, especially as I didn't have the Ace of hearts. Both opponents called. The limper cold-called two bets - interesting. He's not got KK based on that play. 55 doesn't fit the actions of the initial raiser but 99 might. So I am probably ahead still but I need to worry about flush draws still. The turn is a Ten putting a second club and thus another potential flush draw on the board. I now have to add TT to the list of hands that fit the play of the initial raiser and are ahead of mine. The turn action is the same as the flop - check, raise, reraise, cold-call, raise. I am now confused. Yes, there are odds to draw to a flush for one bet but not to cold-call for two on both the flop and turn really. The river is 2h completing the hearts flush. It's checked round - yes I check as by now I am so confused that I don't know where I stand. I should have bet here really but that cold-caller was worrying me with his actions. He showed down 87s but in spades! Eh? A gutshot on the flop with two hearts on board and he's cold-calling raises - oh my god! The initial raiser showed down KT for a turned two pair and the winning hand. He played it awfully if you ask me. A risky raise pre-flop but calling my reraise was OK given what he had already put into the hand. Bet when checked to, fair enough but when you're raised on the flop you have to start asking questions about what you're against. He got a lucky turn really as he didn't really make it all obvious he had hit his kicker as I would have raised his bet there anyway, and I am assuming he would have bet top pair again when checked too even if he missed his kicker. Lucky turn for him, not for me. Again, I played it right with the wrong result.

iv. I folded this one on the river so can't be 100% sure I was beaten but the signs were there I thought. I had AKo in the BB and capped it after two raises pre-flop before it reached me, coming from early-mid and late-mid positions. The initial raiser folded, the reraiser called so two of us saw the flop of 5-Q-5, two hearts again. I bet in case my overcards were good and with a backdoor nut flush draw - he called. The turn was not what I wanted to see - another 5 leaving me behind to any pocket pair as well as any Queen and the case 5. I check-called his bet figuring I had outs unless he had that case 5. With overcards I surely had 6 outs to a great full house, and the nuts if the case 5 falls too I suppose. The pot supported a call on the turn given that number of outs. I check-folded the river of 4s when my draws missed. I was behind to a 4, a Queen, any pocket pair and the case 5. Did he have any of those? He could have after all he reraised the flop and had been betting when I checked. He didn't raise the flop so I put him on a pocket pair rather than the Queen, and a pair below Queens too, but that still has me well beaten so I folded for a loss of $3.50.

v. Another AKo hand in the BB this one. There are five limpers including the SB so I raise to try and get some of the more marginal hands to fold. Unfortunately they all call and six players go to the flop of 9-J-A with two clubs. It's checked to me and I bet top pair top kicker. I want to know if there are flush or straight draws out there and get any weak paired hands to fold for fear of making a lucky two pair on me. My bets gets two callers. The turn is another Jack. I bet out again with top two pair wondering if there is another Jack out there. It's called round. The river gives me two bigger pair when a King comes down so I bet again. One caller, one folder and I lose to 99, a flopped set that became a full house when the Jack came on the river. I was kinda expecting trips to be out there but not a passively played hand like that. He trapped me but forgot to actually spring the trap at any point. Lucky but also stupid play on his part, and over-aggressive on mine perhaps but I was trying to find out where I stood - with one foot in a non-working bear trap by the look of it.

There were other hands that cost me a bit too, mainly big hands like QQ and AQs that were raised up pre-flop but then missed making a winning hand, despite the odds generally being there to draw to one. There are exceptions to this, such as three (!) A6o hands I played stupidly - the first stupid part being playing them at all. Steals gone wrong or hands I was able to play out the blinds for minimal cost that hit enough on the flop to get me into trouble, you know the sort of thing.

Now back to those big Aces when they miss flop - how are they working out for me? I've filtered my database down to AJ+ suited and unsuited on iPoker where I there has been a raise pre-flop and I all I have on the flop is high card. The worst of these six hands for me is AKs where I have won just 2 out of 9 times I have been in this situation. Of these 141 total hands I am seeing the turn with 96 of them, perhaps that's not as bad as it first seems if you think I likely have 4 to 6 outs in most cases and the pot contains several bets pre-flop so I am getting some odds to draw. Without looking at each individual hand it's hard to say what the best course of action. I can filter on betting actions on the flop though and for the 80 hands I made a c-bet with I make a nice profit (with all but AKs again but this is a small sample). Checking has lost me money on the 23 hands on which I have tried it so it looks like c-betting is the right action to take unless it gets really scary and I am likely to get raised by a multiway draw, for example. Perhaps this isn't something to worry about as much as I feared. Hmm.

And finally the graph of this afternoon's session...

8th September 2009 (part two)
    I'm too tired to give you the full lowdown on tonight's little session so I will save that for the morning - there won't be much poker to play if iPoker's lack of players this morning is anything to go by. I don't know if it was dropping back to two tables, the fact it was an evening or sheer luck but I made a profit, albeit only around $5. I didn't play that well at times losing all focus in the middle of the session, and for quite a while too, which I am not happy with myself for but I pulled it back well enough. More on this in the morning - tired now.

9th September 2009
    I said last night that this morning I would analyse the session I played didn't I? I would have done it earlier but for some housekeeping I was doing on PokerTracker to keep my database in tip top condition after I bought 200,000 hands of $0.50/$1 limit from HandHQ last night to give me a better idea of how my opponents play. That was one of the things that distracted me during my play yesterday in fact.

The session started with three key hands in the first five, two of which I lost and one I won. I will come to those shortly. With two tables I was able to concentrate better, right up to the point where I was doing well and winning at a decent rate (for this level) at which point I got distracted by all sorts of things - Murray's performance in the tennis, buying hand histories from Hand HQ etc. My focus went out the window and I started to play worse than I had earlier and consequently started to lose. I slapped myself and got back in the game to finish the session ahead by $5.18 though.

Now those key hands:

i. First hand of the session I have QQ in the big blind. Four limpers including the big blind so I raise, naturally. I have a huge hand and want weak Aces and Kings out of there, just in case, but I also want more money in the pot - which I get as all limpers call. The flop comes 4-2-3 with two diamonds. Uh-oh, straight and flush draws. The SB checks, I bet and it's called round to the button who raises. A diamond draw that he's betting for value? Or a straight draw? Or a made straight? Or just overcards or an overpair? Who knows at this stage - all are possible. Two of us call. The turn is Ah making a straight for any hand holding a 5 but how many of those can there be out there given the play to date? I fear that Ace as an overcard more than for the straight value I think. I bet, the next player to act is all-in for his last 50c but the button raises again. He's not scared by that Ace is he? That's either utterly irrelevant to him and doesn't affect his hand or he now has a monster (the straight) in which case he has to have a 5 - and probably two of them as pocket 5s is about all that makes sense for his play so far if we assume he has the straight. 65s in diamonds is possible I guess but either way it looks likely I am behind to the straight, as well as any Ace. The river comes 3d to complete the flush but with a pot of over $12 I have to check-call his bet. He shows 55, including 5d, for the turned straight. Nasty way to start a session.

ii. Second hand of the session and I make a tilty steal raise with K3o when it is folded round to me in the small blind. I don't know enough about the BB at this stage so I am just praying he has utter tosh that he would chuck to a raise rather than play heads up. He calls and we see a flop of 8-7-Q rainbow. I bet, he raises and I call. This is the raise that tells me I am beaten with just that King overcard and I should fold but I call. We both check the Queen on the turn, pairing the board. The river is a 7 double pairing the board and I think my King could be good. I forget the fact he raised the flop so probably had something there and even an 8 will win him the pot with two bigger pair. I bet, he raises and I call only to be shown Q8o for the turned full house and a $4 loss all because I didn't fold either pre-flop or on the flop. Stupid.

iii. Just three hands later I get another big hand, TT. It's raised UTG and I reraise in mid-position. The action goes fold, cold-call, raise (capping it), fold and all previous callers/raisers call the capped bet so four of us go to the flop, which comes down 3-4-6 with two hearts. Chances are this has missed everyone and the most I need to worry about is a flush draw and I have one heart so I have reduced the odds of that a bit. It's checked to me and I bet with my overpair. The SB and UTG call my bet. The turn is a potentially nasty 7d as it puts a potential straight on the board. Was anyone playing 55 on me again? Again it is checked to me, I bet and both call. The river is an offsuit Jack and it is checked round. I could (should?) have bet on the end here but if either of the others were playing overcards including a J, which was very much in their range given the action throughout the hand I was losing so I checked it down. The pot was dragged to me with both others having AK. The win from this hand all but covered the loss from the previous two losing hands so I was back even again and ready to start building a profit from the session. Phew.

The only other significant losses came from AQo, AQs and AJs that were raised pre-flop, bet on the flop but missed the board and were eventually folded when I realised all I could beat was a poor bluff. I think I did as well as I could with these hands though and kept the losses down where I could.

I have decided I should bring back the stats I used to post when I was playing cash games on a regular basis, but with a slight twist. I will post two sets of stats - one for the overall figures for the level I am playing and another showing my progress in this race to $200 I have started so I can form a Full Tilt bankroll. The overall set of figures will be number of hands, voluntarily put $ in pot, pre-flop raise percentage, aggression factor, BB/100 hands and total profit. For the race to $200 I will give the number of hands played, profit, BB/100 and estimated number of hands to complete the challenge based on that BB/100.

Overall Stats
    Hands: 1635
    VPIP: 13.76
    PFR: 7.03
    AF: 2.27
    BB/100: 0.62
    Profit: $10.09

Race to $200
    Hands: 1112
    Profit: -$12.56
    BB/100: -1.13
    Hands Required to Complete Challenge: N/A

Now let's go play some poker and get that BB/100 moving in the right direction shall we?

9th September 2009 (part two)
    Just a short session this afternoon lasting little over an hour. My heart wasn't really in it and my mind was elsewhere a lot of the time so I cut the session short and went to watch the cricket and read my guidebook to Malta ahead of my upcoming holiday there.

It was a profitable session though, raking in $7.16 from just 133 hands across two tables. And unusually there are no hands to really go through, no big losers - just a couple of hands raised pre-flop that missed the board and were folded to bets on the turn so standard stuff really. And unusually for one of my sessions it was profitable throughout as the graph below shows.

And that's it for me for a while now. I'm having a break in Malta starting tomorrow so it'll be the 20th or 21st before I get back to playing poker. I have a whole pile of books to take with me on holiday, some poker related and some not to give me a rest from the game but also keep my learning ticking along nicely. And when I get back I plan to make a serious dent in that $200 target! :)

Overall Stats
    Hands: 1780
    VPIP: 13.26
    PFR: 6.91
    AF: 2.23
    BB/100: 0.97
    Profit: $17.25

Race to $200
    Hands: 1257
    Profit: -$5.40
    BB/100: -0.43

22nd September 2009
    My first session back after my holiday and things haven't really gone to plan. I said I wanted to make a serious dent in the target of $200 I had set myself playing $0.50/$1 limit poker on Bet365 but instead of doing that I have set myself back somewhat. Two tables for around three hours today have left me with a loss of $27.67 :( I'm not going to moan about not getting the starting hands and when I did not having them hold up because that's too easy a line to spout without really meaning it some times. I didn't get great hands and many of them didn't hold up at all but then again I didn't play well either. I wasn't focused on the game really, I had other things on this afternoon including betting on the horses and watching how those bets turned out so I have myself to blame somewhat.

This is a recurring issue for me - focusing on the game and how I can improve in this area. Maybe I can't improve enough to make it worthwhile at these stakes. The money doesn't mean much at all when I have around £15 on each table and only two tables open. It's not like I can lose (or win) much on any hand either. But then do I have the discipline and skills to play at higher stakes, even if it is just one level higher ($1/2)? I want to prove to myself I can grind out a profit but the honest truth is I am not sure I can. I know I haven't played enough at this level to really have variance smooth things out and for my true skill level to become apparent but then I sometimes wonder if that's what I want to do anyway. My lack of confidence in my skills is shining through again isn't it? One bad session and I start to doubt everything again which leads me to changing my mind and changing my plans too often to be effective.

I have still got a lot to learn, of that there can be no doubt. I have also started to wonder again if I can get anywhere in this game, thinking I could never be a poker pro or even a half-decent grinder in which case should I stop spending so much time playing and look at other pursuits to make some money. I need to gain more confidence in my own play and stop being quite so results focused perhaps. Maybe I need to play more and get into that long run during which I should see my own skill level become apparent in my results. I dunno. I do keep thinking that there are plenty of better ways I should be spending my time that in the long run would make me a lot more money. I need to do some serious thinking away from the tables perhaps. I need to find something (or several things) I am happy doing for several hours each day that ultimately can generate some income. That could be playing poker, it could be developing software (for which I have several ideas but it will take a long time to get started to any serious level with this one and see any form of return), it could be developing systems for sports/racing betting, it could just be taking on more betting systems and spending more time actually betting on things to generate profits. Like I say - I need to do some thinking about what I want from life, and how much poker should play a part in my life.

Overall Stats
    Hands: 2124
    VPIP: 12.43
    PFR: 6.73
    AF: 2.07
    BB/100: -0.49
    Profit: -$10.42

Race to $200
    Hands: 1601
    Profit: -$33.07
    BB/100: -2.07

23rd September 2009
    I had a good think about things last night and came to a few conclusions.

The first of which was I should take an extended break from the game and stop trying to force things to happen. I have dived straight in to full-time play (more or less) and that is putting pressure on me to perform and I'm not running good at the minute which is just compounding things. If I am going to play it should be short evening sessions rather than trying to play all afternoon - back to how I used to play the game, and win. I can fill my afternoons learning more about VB and using that to develop some of the software I have ideas for, which ultimately will earn me money.

The second conclusion was almost the polar opposite of the first. I should play more tables at once - like 5 or 6 at least such that I don't have spare brain capacity or time to worry about anything else. Every second should be about poker and I should have plenty of decisions to make. This is a bit of a problem on Bet365 due to the software which prevents one from resizing the tables but you can tile multiple tables. If you do that though you can't really use the PokerTracker HUD as the screen is then a mess! So switch the PT HUD off - I don't really need it when I am playing except for very marginal situations and when playing loads of tables the game should be about taking the big edges without needing to press the marginals. I should be playing a simple game of 'get it, bet it' poker at this level really.

I thought about these ideas some more and decided that I should give the second option a bit of a run and see how I get on as I can then always fall back to the first option if necessary. So that's what I did this morning - 5 tables of $0.50/$1 limit hold'em on Bet365, and I could have done 6 or 7, perhaps even 8 tables I reckon. It certainly kept my head in the game and stopped me wandering off to check the internet, e-mail etc. And what's more I managed to grind out a small profit, $5.14 in fact having played for 98 minutes. It was an uppy-downy session for sure and I struggled with some fundamentals like playing overcards on the flop and knowing for sure when I am beaten and folding rather than throwing that last call in 'just in case' but those are things I struggle with anyway regardless of the number of tables I am playing. I had opponents river flushes on me plenty of times to beat my strong but lesser hands. I even had a set under set for a big pot - that was annoying! But I rather enjoyed the session and feel a bit better about the game now.

I'm not sure I will play much, if at all, this afternoon though. Playing while the horse racing bets are on will be the real acid test of my focus but I have just had a new mobile phone delivered this morning so this afternoon I want to play with that.

Overall Stats
    Hands: 2543
    VPIP: 12.43
    PFR: 6.61
    AF: 2.19
    BB/100: -0.21
    Profit: -$5.28

Race to $200
    Hands: 2020
    Profit: -$27.93
    BB/100: -1.38

25th September 2009
    I'm beginning to think that the first conclusion I drew was the right one

I have played two sessions of 6 tables of $0.50/$1 limit hold'em on Bet365 and now find myself around $45 below where I was when I last updated this diary. And do you know what's worse - I can't really see what I am doing wrong. Which can mean one of several things such as I'm not doing that much wrong and I find myself on the wrong side of natural variance or more worringly that I am doing several things wrong but I am blinded to them for some reason. I suspect there may be elements of both of those in there but in my mind I think it is weighted towards the second reason. I think my pre-flop approach is OK which means it's all going wrong for me post-flop. I acknowledge I struggle when I miss the flop, which is around twice as often as I hit it on average so I need to get help there. I have turned to Miller, Sklansky and Malmuth in the form of their Small Stakes Hold'em book. They seem to suggest that far more mistakes are made post-flop than pre-flop so that's the section I need to focus on. So I'm going to do just that rather than pondering where I could have gone wrong the last couple of days.

I''ll give you the stats before I leave though

Overall Stats
    Hands: 3722
    VPIP: 11.55
    PFR: 6.23
    AF: 2.11
    BB/100: -1.41
    Profit: -$52.34

Race to $200
    Hands: 3199
    Profit: -$74.99
    BB/100: -2.34

28th September 2009
    I'm getting rather slack at updating this as and when things happen - sorry about that.

I had a quick session on Saturday only lasting just over an hour and including play at 5 tables despite the poor recent results. And I'm glad I did as I had a really good run of cards - the deck didn't exactly smack me full in the face but it was at least a glancing blow as I won $34.14 from just 320 hands. I don't think I played any differently to previous sessions but the money just came to me, along with decent cards, which helped.

That's all I really wanted to say about it. So, err, yeah.

Overall Stats
    Hands: 4042
    VPIP: 11.63
    PFR: 6.26
    AF: 2.11
    BB/100: -0.45
    Profit: -$18.20

Race to $200
    Hands: 3519
    Profit: -$40.85
    BB/100: -1.16

28th September 2009 (part two)
    Another session in the bag and another winner :)

This was another hit-and-run session really with 6 tables played simultaneously but the session only lasted 75 minutes taking in 350 hands. I was doing well and was over $25 up so I decided to end the session as a winner. I know it goes against much of the money management advice, stay in the game as long as it is good and all that, but I have recorded a win and with it boosted my confidence in the game, confidence that could easily have ebbed away had I not stopped at this point and lost say $15-$20 of this profit back, or worse. Then I might see the session as one that could have been better had I stopped earlier. As it is I may ponder what could have been and what I could have won but this is low stakes hold'em - the good games are always there because there are so many bad players at this level so it is important to do whatever it takes to keep me on my A game and if that means quitting as a winner for a confidence boost and playing short sessions then so be it. At the end of the day it's a win anyway. It also means I have scratched my poker itch and leaves me free to do something else for the rest of the day if I so desire. I may have another session this evening if I feel like it but it's mission accomplished for today at least with a profit of $27.41 in the bag. That makes the stats look a lot nicer.

A quick word before I go about ending a session as I'm not sure how everyone else does it and I don't recall seeing anything in print about this. How do you end your sessions? Once you've had enough do you just stand up and leave? Not me. Once I have decided to quit a table I untick the "Auto post blinds" checkbox and wait till the BB comes round to me. When I am prompted to post my blind that's when I leave the table. The way I see it is the blinds are a form of pre-payment for the hands I will see when I am not in the blinds. Why pay the blinds and walk away on the button or in late position when you're entitled to see several more hands for free? I have done it this way for years and yesterday provided and excellent example of the benefit of this approach. After posting my SB I unticked the auto post checkbox and waited to see what I'd be dealt for the remaining hands before I would leave the table. On one table I got pocket Jacks twice (snagging the blinds each time) and another my final hands included QQ (which lost against KK), AA (won a small pot) and TT (won a decent pot when they turned quads) - hands I would probably have missed out on without this exit strategy of mine. You've paid for the hands already so it costs nothing to at least see the deal and fold pre-flop. Something to bear in mind perhaps.

Overall Stats
    Hands: 4392
    VPIP: 11.68
    PFR: 6.12
    AF: 2.04
    BB/100: 0.21
    Profit: $9.21

Race to $200
    Hands: 3869
    Profit: -$13.44
    BB/100: -0.35

Laf is offline Win2Win Racing Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by mathare View Post
    28th September 2009 (part two)
    A quick word before I go about ending a session as I'm not sure how everyone else does it and I don't recall seeing anything in print about this. How do you end your sessions? Once you've had enough do you just stand up and leave? Not me. Once I have decided to quit a table I untick the "Auto post blinds" checkbox and wait till the BB comes round to me. When I am prompted to post my blind that's when I leave the table. The way I see it is the blinds are a form of pre-payment for the hands I will see when I am not in the blinds. Why pay the blinds and walk away on the button or in late position when you're entitled to see several more hands for free? I have done it this way for years and yesterday provided and excellent example of the benefit of this approach. After posting my SB I unticked the auto post checkbox and waited to see what I'd be dealt for the remaining hands before I would leave the table. On one table I got pocket Jacks twice (snagging the blinds each time) and another my final hands included QQ (which lost against KK), AA (won a small pot) and TT (won a decent pot when they turned quads) - hands I would probably have missed out on without this exit strategy of mine. You've paid for the hands already so it costs nothing to at least see the deal and fold pre-flop. Something to bear in mind perhaps.
    I use the same strategy when leaving a table. As you said, you're getting to see the cards for free so it's the logical thing to do. Also, I don't play a hand when I first sit down until I am in the BB.

¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʎɯ

Quote Originally Posted by Laf View Post
    Also, I don't play a hand when I first sit down until I am in the BB.
    I never post till I am in the BB. It gives me a chance to check any notes on my opponents at that table, to get settled and also a brief interlude in which to fire up more tables if desired. No point paying more for a hand than I have to so I always wait for the BB

30th September 2009
    I didn't get a chance till now to give you the details of the session I played yesterday afternoon. I had planned a much longer session than the recent hit-and-runs to prove to myself that if I needed/wanted to play full-time I could handle 6 tables at once for more than an hour and a half. I didn't want to go to extremes and put in an 8 hour day or anything at this stage but I wanted to build up the session length so set myself a target of around 3 hours or 1000 hands, whichever was longer. In the end I played for just over 3 hours (182 minutes) and saw 1020 hands playing six tables simultaneously and was perfectly happy doing so. I am taking a lot of positives from that.

The session was a bit uppy-downy to tell you the truth. It started well, slipped into a losing session after around 150 hands before I clawed it back a bit but then around 270 hands onwards the session stayed in the red, finishing down $9.50. I like losing but I don't mind this too much as at one stage I was over $25 down and brought it back. I felt I was playing consistently well across all tables and making good decisions but not always getting the desired results - just as poker should be really. I can't win every session and I don't expect to but I think I did about right here given the way the cards fell.

One thing I have noticed about my PT stats is the number of times I have been dealt certain hands, especially KK. I have been dealt 5412 hands in total (at the $0.50/$1 level on the iPoker network). Of those 312 have been paired hands which equates to 5.76% when the expected value is 5.88% or roughly 318 hands so that's not too far out of line. Each pair is as likely as the others so of those 300 or so hands I should have roughly equal numbers of each rank. But I have only been dealt KK 11 times whereas I would expect to get it more than twice that often. Interestingly I have been dealt AA 36 times which is around 12 times more than expected so taking AA and KK together I am as expected. So I have received more AAs and less KKs than expected. The samples I am working with are still quite small - even 5000 hands isn't anywhere near enough to give a true picture - but I thought it was interesting nonetheless.

Overall Stats
    Hands: 5412
    VPIP: 11.38
    PFR: 5.91
    AF: 1.97
    BB/100: -0.01
    Profit: -$0.29

Race to $200
    Hands: 4889
    Profit: -$22.94
    BB/100: -0.47

30th September 2009 (part two)
    It was a proper massacre this afternoon. There are few positives to take from the session but I am looking hard for them.

The plan was the same as yesterday - play around 1000 hands across 6 tables and see how it goes. That's how I want to spend my afternoons now. It takes around 3 hours (it took longer today as I took me just under an hour to get up to 6 tables because the seats weren't opening up very often) leaving me time before and after to do other things. Plus 1000 hands a day keeps things ticking along at a decent rate, is a nice round target, and also keeps my merit (loyalty) points going up at a decent rate taking me nearer to bigger bonus cash payouts. But today was BAD, costing me a fraction under $50 all told. Not life changing sums of money there by any means but a sure inconvenience when I am trying to drag down $200 profit to start a new bankroll, not lose the one I already have.

So what went wrong today? And don't say "everything". Some tables went really well - I nearly doubled up on one - and some went really badly. In fact I lost my $25 buy-in on one table and nearly all of my buy-in on another table. I felt I played pretty well, not the best I can play but not far off it and I feel well enough to be able to beat the game at this level but events just went against me. There are a few hands I will post hand histories for later and discuss my play because they provide excellent example of what I am up against and the standard of my opponents. They will show that the money is there for the taking and that making the right decision doesn't always lead to the right result.

Those tables where I did poorly, losing all or nearly all of my buy-in, let's take a quick look at them. Bergamot, the table where I lost it all, I won just 1 hand out of the 109 I was dealt. One. I saw 11 flops and won just one hand. I lost with hands like QQ (twice), AQo, TT, QJs and 77. The one pot I won was with TT. On Pandharpur, where I lost almost all my buy-in, I won one hand out of 9 when I saw the flop and won the blinds twice when everyone folded to my pre-flop raise. The hand I won after seeing the flop was a small pot I won with AA. The two hands I won the blinds with were AQo and KK. I lost pots with hands like TT, JJ, AQs, AQo, AKo and AJo so big pre-flop hands that just weren't holding up. And that's pretty much the story of the session.

I said earlier I wasn't playing my best but that I was playing well. There are exceptions to that though. I completely screwed up on one hand where I rivered two pair. I was sure one of my opponents had two pair (QQ and 22) as the board was 2-7-2-Q-9. I held 97o for a rivered two pair (99 and 77) and bet out thinking I could win the hand, completely forgetting how two pair hand rankings worked. I confused myself counting my outs on the turn and thought a 9 would help so lost a bet or two I didn't need to make/call on that hand. Oh well.

Oh yeah, I have a note here that says "KK v QQ v AA". This was one of the last hands I played and it sums up my session fairly well. The table has seen enough pre-flop raising to think I can limp-reraise with KK UTG. A middle position player raises and the button reraises. OK, I'm not folding KK here so I cap it to try and drive out the middle player or at least force him to call two bets cold, which he does and the button calls too. Three of us see a flop of Q-A-T two suited, a flop I can't say I am pleased to see as it pits draws all over the place and makes a set for three hands which could easily be out there against me (TT being the least likely of the three). I bet out anyway as I can't check after capping pre-flop. This round of betting gets capped too and with my gutshot draw I think I have to call so do so. The pot is big and hard to get away from now. The turn is a K giving me a set but putting another potential flush draw on the board along with a straight draw for anyone with a J. It's checked round as everyone is scared by the potential straight. The river is an offsuit 5 and I bet (rather stupidly) and both opponents call. I flip my Kings, middle position shows down QQ and the button has AA for top set and drags the pot. The three biggest pairs in the game all making a set - can't happen in the same hand very often. Just a shame I wasn't the one with the winning hand.

My final note for this session seems to read "misery threshold v acceptance". Mike Caro introduced the concept of a misery threshold, a point at which one has lost so much in the game that they don't care if they lose any more. I'm sure we've all experienced this sort of feeling at some stage but it wasn't like that at all for me today. I knew things were going against me but stick to the plan (OK, I actually fell 2 hands short of the target due to the way the blinds fell but that's not the point) and accepted the way things were going as part of the game. I know this is a setback but I also know I was playing quite well and that in time that money, and more, will come back to me.

Overall Stats
    Hands: 6410
    VPIP: 11.03
    PFR: 5.71
    AF: 1.97
    BB/100: -0.78
    Profit: -$49.76

Race to $200
    Hands: 5887
    Profit: -$72.41
    BB/100: -1.23

30th September 2009 (part three)
    The first of those hand histories I wanted to post (terrorwrist is me):
    GAME #1869973839: Texas Hold'em L $0.50/$1 2009-09-30 13:23:20
    Table Bergamot
    Seat 1: sunnyb123 ($27.03 in chips)
    Seat 2: Galtran ($9.25 in chips)
    Seat 3: InLoveWithAK ($17.57 in chips) DEALER
    Seat 4: archer4x4 ($48.98 in chips)
    Seat 5: Navvare ($20.00 in chips)
    Seat 6: nonossan ($2.63 in chips)
    Seat 7: superkiller87 ($9.06 in chips)
    Seat 8: terrorwrist ($23.75 in chips)
    Seat 10: ghjhtrnjh ($17.47 in chips)
    archer4x4: Post SB $0.25
    Navvare: Post BB $0.50
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to terrorwrist [H10 S10]
    nonossan: Fold
    superkiller87: Call $0.50
    terrorwrist: Raise (NF) $1.00
    ghjhtrnjh: Call $1.00
    sunnyb123: Fold
    Galtran: Fold
    InLoveWithAK: Fold
    archer4x4: Fold
    Navvare: Fold
    *** FLOP *** [C8 H4 S5]
    superkiller87: Bet $0.50
    ghjhtrnjh: Call $1.00
    *** TURN *** [H2]
    superkiller87: Bet $1.00
    terrorwrist: Raise (NF) $2.00
    ghjhtrnjh: Call $2.00
    superkiller87: Call $1.00
    *** RIVER *** [C6]
    superkiller87: Bet $1.00
    terrorwrist: Call $1.00
    ghjhtrnjh: Raise (NF) $2.00
    superkiller87: Call $1.00
    *** SUMMARY ***
    Total pot $17.82 Rake $0.93
    superkiller87: Shows [D8 HJ]
    ghjhtrnjh: Shows [H7 CK]
    ghjhtrnjh: wins $17.82

I have TT in early position and raise, which is a standard play for me with this hand as I want to drive out weak overcard hands. I get two callers. OK. One player cold-called my raise, which is interesting. He must have a strong hand then. The early limper though I'm not convinced is that strong. The flop comes down 8-4-5 rainbow, a great flop for me. The limper bets out and I immediately, instinctively, put him on a top pair type hand. I don't give him credit for a set or the straight draw. Why? He limped and called a raise so has he hand he quite likes but isn't that chuffed with. He could have 44 or 55 and play them like this but I wouldn't play such hands from early position so I assume (perhaps incorrectly) my opponents are less likely to do so too. I'm not ruling those hands out but if he has a set would he bet into a pre-flop raiser. Why not check, wait for me to bet and then raise me trapping the other player too? So I don't put him on a set, and for the straight he needs to have 76 - would he play 76 from early position? Again I think this is unlikely and again why bet a made straight into a pre-flop raiser? So I assume the bettor has top pair or similar and raise with my overpair. When the late position player cold-calls for the second round running I put him on a range that includes big overcards (played quite badly) and bigger pairs. 88 is also a possibility if he is waiting for the turn to raise. The turn isn't quite a brick as it opens up potential straight and flush draws but the straight draws are unlikely. I have to wonder though about the possibility of someone holding two hearts and drawing to a flush. I hold one heart so that cuts down the flush draw chances somewhat. The action is the same as on the flop. If I was ahead on the flop, and at this stage I have little reason to think I wasn't, then I am ahead now. If the late position cold-caller has me beaten he ought to let me know about now but instead he cold-calls again, three times in a row. Is he playing a monster overpair or a set but doesn't know how to get value for it? The river is scary as the 6 completes two straight draws (with a 3 and a 7). I had been trying to protect my hand with raises as it was vulnerable to another heart, overcards and these straight cards but I also thought I was ahead. Now I have to wonder if either of those two got lucky and hit a straight playing a poor hand badly. I call the opening river bet, there's a raise (he's hit something) and I am forced to call by the pot size. The early player has top pair (as I thought) but the late player has a straight.

Let's just look at that again. The early limper called a raise with J8o. That's not a hand to limp with in the first place let alone call a raise with, although calling the raise after investing one bet isn't that big a mistake really. He bets out top pair on the flop and gets raised so he has to think he could be beaten here. The board continues to bring cards that make hands that could beat him but he has top pair and he's not going down without a fight, despite being raised on every street. He doesn't even have top pair with top kicker - his J kicker isn't that strong at all really. But the late position cold-caller takes the biscuit. K7o and he cold-calls an early position raise pre-flop. He then cold-calls on the flop with nothing but a gutshot draw. The pot is $5.25 and he has to call a $1 bet so he has around half the pot odds he actually needs but makes the call anyway praying for a miracle. Actually his Kings could be outs but any reasonable thought at this stage would tell one that hitting a King with a 7 kicker is unlikely to be good enough to win so he ought to discount the King outs to perhaps 1.5 outs meaning he has 5.5 outs and would need around 9/1 on the flop, still way above what he's getting. On the turn he hasn't picked up any additional outs and is getting 4.88/1, still way below what he needs to make the call but he cold-calls for the fourth street. And hits a miracle on the river at which point he makes the raise and drags down a big pot.

I may be biased but I think I played that one pretty well and those two played their hands truly awfully. Shockingly bad in fact. I was fuming when I saw what they had but did my best to stay off tilt. I think I managed it but this was the table I lost my full buy-in at, and I don't feel through any real fault of my own when you see some of the hands I had beaten and what they were beaten by.

By the way, I know it's very easy for me to put the limper on top pair on the flop when I have played out the hand and know what he has but when I go back through these hand histories I try to put myself back in the situation, back at the table with everything go on around me and thinking back to what I thought of the hand at the time. Instinct told me he probably didn't have a made hand bigger than top pair from his position and betting actions. I could have been very wrong but in that case it would have been live and learn. That's how my instincts improve, by subconciously putting players on hands (ranges really) and checking back over hand histories (or having PT3 flash their cards up at the end of a hand) to see how close I was.

30th September 2009 (part four)
    And the second of those hand histories, from the same table:
    GAME #1869984585: Texas Hold'em L $0.50/$1 2009-09-30 13:32:38
    Table Bergamot
    Seat 1: sunnyb123 ($42.81 in chips) DEALER
    Seat 2: Galtran ($7.25 in chips)
    Seat 3: InLoveWithAK ($18.32 in chips)
    Seat 4: archer4x4 ($49.48 in chips)
    Seat 5: Navvare ($18.00 in chips)
    Seat 7: superkiller87 ($4.58 in chips)
    Seat 8: terrorwrist ($17.00 in chips)
    Seat 9: BlackDemonjak ($49.25 in chips)
    Seat 10: ghjhtrnjh ($16.48 in chips)
    Galtran: Post SB $0.25
    InLoveWithAK: Post BB $0.50
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to terrorwrist [SQ CQ]
    archer4x4: Fold
    Navvare: Fold
    superkiller87: Fold
    BlackDemonjak: Fold
    ghjhtrnjh: Fold
    sunnyb123: Call $1.00
    Galtran: Fold
    InLoveWithAK: Fold
    *** FLOP *** [H7 C7 SJ]
    terrorwrist: Bet $0.50
    sunnyb123: Call $0.50
    *** TURN *** [H6]
    terrorwrist: Bet $1.00
    sunnyb123: Call $1.00
    *** RIVER *** [D6]
    terrorwrist: Bet $1.00
    sunnyb123: Raise (NF) $2.00
    *** SUMMARY ***
    Total pot $9.27 Rake $0.48
    sunnyb123: Shows [C6 DA]
    sunnyb123: wins $9.27

I have QQ in middle position and when it's folded to me I raise. I'd always raise this hand regardless of the action before me, even if it means capping it. I only get one caller, the button. The flop comes 7-7-J rainbow, a good flop for me with an overpair. I should get action from smaller pairs, any Jacks and probably overcards not giving me credit for the set and probably forgetting about potential overpairs. I bet and the button calls. I can't narrow his range much based on that. He cold-called a pre-flop raise knowing the flop was likely to be 3-handed at most (if the BB called with one small bet already invested). I don't think he has a 7. He could have a Jack and fear an overpair but that's less likely than at least one good overcard such as an Ace. If he has an Ace he think he might be good here but can't really raise in case he's wrong. The turn is a 6, a brick as far as I am concerned and bet out again. The button calls once more. When the river brings another 6 I am dead to hands such as any 7, any 6, JJ, KK and AA but other than that I think I'm good. I don't fear that 6 as such but it does concern me slightly. If raised I wouldn't reraise, just call, which I have to do based on the pot size and the action thus far. I bet, he raises and I call. He takes the pot with the only hand he could have that makes any sense in this hand, A6.

A cold-call with A6o with a pot that's likely to be played out with 2 or 3 players max to the flop is madness to start with. On the flop he's getting 6.50/1 with very few outs. As in the previous hand he can't really count the Aces as full outs but as they are Aces they are probably worth 2.5 outs or more combined but not the full 3 given his kicker. He has outs to splitting the pot of course and runner-runner 6s or runner-runner 7s will win it for him. PT3 puts him at 13% to win the hand on the flop so he's borderline in making this call really. The 6 on the turn actually reduces his winning chances to 11% so his call on the turn with odds of 4.75/1 is a bad one but he makes it anyway and hit the miracle card on the river to beat me. So I make it one street played reasonably (the flop) but the rest were awful yet he won a nice pot with a rubbish hand and I got a great hand smashed. Again.

In the end I played for just over 3 hours (182 minutes) and saw 1020 hands playing six tables simultaneously and was perfectly happy doing so. I am taking a lot of positives from that.
    Very positive. Especially if you are confident in the way you are playing over-all. Yes I know you are having losses still (or at least not a steady upward trend in profit) but if you are playing good poker then this sort of effort will help even those poor tables.

I like losing...
    No you don't. Don't lie! :D

I may be biased but I think I played that one pretty well and those two played their hands truly awfully. Shockingly bad in fact. I was fuming when I saw what they had but did my best to stay off tilt. I think I managed it but this was the table I lost my full buy-in at, and I don't feel through any real fault of my own when you see some of the hands I had beaten and what they were beaten by.
    I think you played it as well as you could. That is just very poor play on their part. I have never liked limit for the fact that it seems to draw the fish and they play absurd hands often. For someone like yourself who has done a lot of reading on the game and knows how it should be played maybe this game isn't best for you? Or maybe this level? Just from my own experience I hated limit as I felt like all my good folding was pointless and then when I actually had something I felt like the power was reduced as they called/limped with rubbish and if the flop missed, even with something like AKs I started feeling like I was behind...

The river is an offsuit 5 and I bet (rather stupidly) and both opponents call. I flip my Kings, middle position shows down QQ and the button has AA for top set and drags the pot. The three biggest pairs in the game all making a set - can't happen in the same hand very often. Just a shame I wasn't the one with the winning hand.
    That hand is pretty crazy and I'm not the one to speak about getting away from hands, and laying Kings down is tough, especially when you made the set. Doubly so when you consider some of the poor play you had seen earlier (not this table I know but still limit poker can get that).

So I make it one street played reasonably (the flop) but the rest were awful yet he won a nice pot with a rubbish hand and I got a great hand smashed. Again.
    Another example of why I don't like this game. You would/could have pushed him around more in NL and at least made it an even worse call if he was stupid enough. Sadly as you said poker is about making the right moves and sometimes still getting beaten. Small comfort sometimes though...

Quote Originally Posted by crazybadger View Post
    No you don't. Don't lie! :D
    No, I don't, you're right. There is definitely a word missing there.

I have never liked limit for the fact that it seems to draw the fish and they play absurd hands often. For someone like yourself who has done a lot of reading on the game and knows how it should be played maybe this game isn't best for you? Or maybe this level?[/quote]My records show that limit cash is the best game for me, the only one I can consistently make a profit at actually. And I'm playing this level to prove to myself I can beat it and build a bankroll. I think it's the right thing to do. I also find it much easier to multi-table limit poker and I need to multi-table to keep me focused on the game. A mistake in limit will cost you a bet or two but could cost you your whole stack in no limit so I am happy playing limit cash for now

That hand is pretty crazy and I'm not the one to speak about getting away from hands, and laying Kings down is tough, especially when you made the set. Doubly so when you consider some of the poor play you had seen earlier (not this table I know but still limit poker can get that).
    That hand demonstrates one of the quirks of limit poker - the pot was so big I couldn't get away from it. There was still a slim chance I was winning, especially when everyone checked the turn fearing a Jack for the straight so the pot was giving me the odds to call at pretty much every stage of that hand. It was incredibly difficult to fold Kings in that spot, it's just one of those losses you have to take on the chin.

Another example of why I don't like this game. You would/could have pushed him around more in NL and at least made it an even worse call if he was stupid enough. Sadly as you said poker is about making the right moves and sometimes still getting beaten. Small comfort sometimes though...
    I could certainly have pushed him around more in NL and probably won a smallish pot but all too often in NL I don't know where I stand when an opponent bets out as their bet sizing puzzles me. With limit that confusion is gone and I have a much better idea of where I stand. Limit poker is more of a science whereas NL has a large feel element so is more of an art at times.

Yes, poker is about making the right moves and still getting beaten at times. Betting and raising to build a big pot that you're almost certain to win only for a miracle card to come on the river and make someone a bigger hand to snatch the pot away from you. And you know that had they been the one in control of the pot they wouldn't have won anything like that much because you know how to build big pots with big hands and they don't. But it's all part of the game and this is what keeps the fish playing so long may it continue.

As you can probably tell I am in a really positive mood today. I thought more about yesterday's session and honestly feel there is little I could have done to improve things and it certainly could have been a lot worse. Sometimes things just don't run your way and that was one of those times. But today is another day so let's see what happens this afternoon.

1st October 2009
    This afternoon was pretty much the same story as yesterday with my good hands being outdrawn regardless of how hard I tried to protect them and me getting huge swathes of duff cards. Not once in the 859 hands I fitted in was I in profit for the session. It started badly and got worse. I almost got it back to even (at which point I would have quit the session) before the roller coaster decided I needed to be dropped again and down I went, ending the session with a loss of $27.52. But hey, I remain positive. I have to else I will lose a lot more in these sessions. I gotta keep doing what I do and one day this will all work out for me and it'll be payback time. Right?

Overall Stats
    Hands: 7269
    VPIP: 11.05
    PFR: 5.75
    AF: 1.98
    BB/100: -1.06
    Profit: -$77.28

Race to $200
    Hands: 6746
    Profit: -$99.93
    BB/100: -1.48

Hmmm I wrote some replies to this thread last night but it's not here. I must have hit preview and not submit...

I wont go into as much detail but the general idea was that I agree with most of what you said about the game of Limit HE and it's more my personal preference that I don't enjoy playing. It is more of a "science" and in fact if I were to ever write a bot (considered it several times) then it would be for Limit for this reason.

I did have a question for your limit games...how tight do you play preflop? I found in my short stint at it a while ago that the only quasi-success I had was when I felt like I was playing more like a fish pre-flop and then making the decision to get out or stay in (obviously this depends on table aggression and position etc)...It might not be right and might go against Limit HE theory but it's just something I noticed - the good hands don't always hit the flop and then you end up in no-mans-land but you "have to" keep paying because the odds are often there to call (and you cant be sure they hit because they often play with rubbish). Just a thought (keep in mind my lack of experience at this game) :)

Quote Originally Posted by crazybadger View Post
    I did have a question for your limit games...how tight do you play preflop?
    My VPIP is 11.05% which is pretty tight. I'm only putting money into the pot with 11% of my hands which PokerStove says is pairs 77+, A9s+, ATo+, KTs+, QTs+ and KQo. Obviously that's averaged across all positions but it's pretty tight. I see 11.24% of flops which includes those I get a free look at from the unraised BB.

I found in my short stint at it a while ago that the only quasi-success I had was when I felt like I was playing more like a fish pre-flop and then making the decision to get out or stay in (obviously this depends on table aggression and position etc)
    I struggle with those in/out decisions post-flop when I loosen up pre-flop as I never have a clear idea where I am. I also struggle to work out what hands to play where as part of a loose strategy. Tight play is in my blood I'm afraid and going against type is really hard for me. I also think that by playing tight I know where I am against likely hand ranges for my opponents. I know how to play tight holdings as I have had a few years of practice across various games and it's a style that suits me, especially playing 6 tables at once.

the good hands don't always hit the flop and then you end up in no-mans-land but you "have to" keep paying because the odds are often there to call (and you cant be sure they hit because they often play with rubbish).
    This is just an exercise in. counting outs and properly discounting them. Take a board of 9-5-2 rainbow with you holding something like KTo. How many outs have you got? You have two overcards so you have 6 outs right? There are 6 cards that would improve your hand, sure, but would a pair of tens be good enough to take this pot down? They might put you ahead on the turn but you need to worry about an overcard (Q, J or A) coming on the river that makes someone else a higher pair so you can't count those Tens as full outs. The three tens are worth maybe two outs here. The Kings are probably good though but there are potential straight draws, runner-runner flushes could hit etc so even the Kings if you hit may not win the pot. I'd count the two overcards here as maybe 4.5 outs with means instead of needing pot odds of around 13/2 I want odds of around 9/1 - quite a difference. Sklansky et all in SSHE have a great section of counting outs and hidden outs. Some weak looking hands can be as strong as open-ended straight draws thanks to combo draws whereas overcard draws can be weaker than expected. If you have an idea of how many outs you truly have then you can more easily make sure you have the odds you need before continuing in the hand.

2nd October 2009
    From bad to worse, that's the way things are headed for me it seems.

A quick session (105 minutes) this morning with the standard six tables results in a loss of $16.22. The session started with a dip from which I recovered and then it was a steady downhill from there really. My fourth losing session in a row and the past 3500 or so hands have cost me around $95 which is obviously not what I was expecting. Sigh.

I think I have identified a few more weaknesses in my game this morning though and have made notes of them so I can check them out in more detail and look at resolving them.

Firstly, I think I am perhaps calling too often pre-flop after limping and it is raised then folded round to me. Perhaps I call in early position with KQo or something and a middle position player raises. No one cold-calls and the blinds fold so it is back to me for one bet. The pot is small but I am calling because I have one bet in already. That's not so bad but I think I am going to pieces and leaking chips all over the place post-flop in hands like this. I need to properly evaluate my hand strength on the flop and count my outs, especially as I am out of position so any bet could be raised. Should I be check-calling or check-folding? If I have hit any of the flop how vulnerable is my hand and what's the best way to protect it - bet out or check-raise? I think I am seeing too many streets with effectively marginal holdings in short-handed pots. I didn't raise with KQo in early position as I think it is too weak to raise with from there but too strong to fold so I limp looking for a few players to be in with me as I am playing it as a drawing hand really. When the pot is short-handed I need to play 'fit or fold' on the flop really. I think I'll try that approach and see what happens.

Secondly I think I am staying in too many pots for one bet on later streets, especially when the bet size has doubled, because I have convinced myself the pot is big. But is it? SSHE defines a big pot as one that is six-handed or more pre-flop OR raised pre-flop and four-handed or more OR three-bet or more pre-flop OR at least two opponents will usually go to the river. This means pots that are 6 big bets on the turn are generally not big pots but I am often treating them as they are. These are medium pots than I can fold my way out of. I hope I can start to save bets in these situations now by folding more in these medium pots when I don't have the outs and odds I need to draw. Sometimes I know I am beaten but still can't fold. I need to work through that.

Another potential leak I have found is I am stuggling to protect my hand at times when just betting out doesn't work. Suppose there are 6.5 small bets in the pot - perhaps I raised preflop and got two callers with the SB folding. If I bet out now when the board has a two flush then any flush draw has the odds to come along. The first caller is getting 7.5/1 which is enough to play a draw with 6 outs. If I can check-raise (assuming I am confident that someone will bet into me) then the odds maybe reduced but ideally I'd want the better to my immediate right to get this to play out as desired. I think I need to re-read the SSHE chapter on protecting hands.

Finally I am getting into trouble with overcards when they miss the flop, one of the trickiest situations in what is otherwise a pretty straightforward game. I think the answer again is to re-read the relevant SSHE chapter so that I know whether to bet out with AKs in early position on a board of 2-6-8 rainbow or not.

That's pretty much it for my notes this session other than one that says "runner-runnered again & again & ..." - it was like that this morning. Oh, and one that says I should start posting my session graphs again so I'll do that now.

Overall Stats
    Hands: 7855
    VPIP: 10.94
    PFR: 5.73
    AF: 1.94
    BB/100: -1.19
    Profit: -$93.50

Race to $200
    Hands: 7332
    Profit: -$116.15
    BB/100: -1.58