Cookie Policy: This web site uses cookies. By using this site you agree to our cookie policy.
Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to the T&C. This is an information forum, and it is just that information, all views are of the individual poster and not that of the site owner. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material without the owners permission. If you copy news or articles include a link back to the original site. Threads/Posts may be deleted on request. No other links without permission.
BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION: Your question has probably been asked before, so please use the
SEARCH FUNCTION, as we grow tired of answering the same question again and again.

Thread: Footie in all its Glory

Post Footie in all its Glory

All right. We're doomed. That's the bitter Huth. Let the clouds of smog roll in and enclose this sorry bit of turf so that we might sit, motionless as our central defenders, and weep quiet men's tears into the pint pots of history. Sigh.

This weekend's footie proved one thing - there's Real Time and there's Big Four Time. Real time is counted in minutes and seconds but in Big Four Time you get these strange units called Superseconds, which can be added whenever you need them and you get at least 120 more of these than you would in normal life.

It is perfectly possible, of course, in the right circumstances (Manchester United or Liverpool are a goal UP with 90 minutes on the clock, say) that Superseconds can be lost as well as found. What this proves is that, in footballing terms Time is the Big Fourth Dimension.

What you can't deny is the entertainment provided by this weekend. I'm not talking Shearer here, mind. How he's going to mend that shenanigans of a defence I do not know. I doubt Dowie does, but I'm glad he's back, if only 'cos his face looks like it must have been formed from undersea volcanic activity.

Coloccini, so dependable early doors, is looking less like a footballer and more like one of them frothy cappuccinos with cinnamon sprinkles all over it. He tackles like one, too. It's a miserable consolation but at least the Magpies are coming down with us.

No, I'm talking about that immense five-goal thriller. You didn't see Luton win the Johnstone Paints Trophy? Shame on you. I swear that cup should be a massive silver plated five-litre tin of brilliant white emulsion with a five-week-old dried up brush sticking out of it. But I shouldn't jest. The Boro'll be playing for it soon enough.

Man U-Villa was almost as good. At 2-1 down, with United playing like numpties and Carew vs Neville looking more like Godzilla vs a Vauxhall Corsa, the game looked up.

Benayoun's late winner, after Liverpool had hit the woodwork more times than Gepetto, seemed to be too much for the flailing champs. Fergie was sitting there on the bench Allardycing his chewing gum like a sheep who's whiffed a Rottweiler at the end of his field.

Worse still, he'd looked in his reserves and found that the cupboard was bare. Not a Forlan to be seen. So he sends on some 17-year-old no-mark who no one's ever heard of. "Macheda?" said me mateTony Thompson, "Isn't that some sort of Spanish cheese?" Some spod muttered darkly about the lad having scored a hat-trick against Newcastle reserves on Monday - but having seen the first team, just imagine how easy it would be to score against a bunch of second-string barcodes.

The ale flowed, as did the sniggering behind the hands, as Man U didn't so much attack in waves as in ripples and Davies and Cuellar looked fine and dandy. But then United do have the Gelled Tumbler. (A lot more gel than tumble on Sunday I'm pleased to say).

As I've said before, the lad's a pouting little prancer and about as charming as a pickled egg, but by heck he's a threat. He did nowt except score two cracking goals. If he does go to Real there's no one to replace him.

But the suspiciously middle-aged looking teenager was the superstar. It was one of them goals that you won't forget. Like Rooney's winner against Arsenal when he was nothing but a hairy 16-year-old. And Gazza lifting the ball over Colin Hendry and leaving the defender flat on his back like a slapstick vaudevillian's stooge before driving in the volley.

Goals that make you sneak out on to some dirty lump of open ground in front of a slumped and rusty white rectangle of a goal, and make your mate be Giggsy so you can be the glory boy. Looks like the lad enjoys a bit of limelight too, although I could do without this kissing the camera malarkey. I'm still having nightmares about Gerrard's full-frontal snog on my telly (although I'm guessing the average Liverpool fan has got it as a knee-weakening screen-saver now).

But these late twists just go to prove summat that I've known since I was able to shape me own jumper into a goalpost. Football is the greatest game on earth. And even though them herberts who go out there and for the cost of two terraced houses in a Northern town a week, pose and plummet and whinge and wail, they're still just trying to stick a pig's bladder between two sticks.

Some people say that to devalue the sport. To me it makes the whole thing way, way better. 'Cos anyone - from a porky lump like meself to a cocky Roman adolescent - can enjoy that unbelievable feeling.

Of the three goals I have scored for the Blue Bell, one was a ricochet off me knee, another one had me team-mates saying it was converted by the Hand of Sod, but the third... oh dear readers the third...!

A cleared header came looping out to us - some say it was at the edge of the penalty box but since when have penalty boxes been 40 yards long? As it dropped I was being closed down by the full force of a midfield populated by inhabitants of Acklam.

Suffice to say it was like sidestepping a slow angry traction engine. With my left foot I flicked it up and with the right I delivered the whipcrack thunderbolt that dipped and swerved and picked out the keeper's top corner with a pinpoint accuracy that would make Phil the Power Taylor blench.

Now if you ask regulars about it, they'll just lie about the distance, power of the shot and the weight and height of their keeper. But if you'd have been there, boys and girls, you'd all be trying to recreate it in your local park as we speak.

More...

If we have to have blog posts published from external sources, can we have a better one than Derek Robson's please? It's so badly written, it makes my blood boil. Thanks.

Please take a look at:
    My Photostream on Flickr

It's topical to the forum, this is not a grammar forum.

FREE Live Odds Comparison Software

Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Filipino UK Filipino Forum | Win2Win Racing - Free Tips

Keith, I only asked.

I can't stand phrases like "them herberts who go out there and for the cost of two terraced houses in a Northern town a week, pose and plummet and whinge and wail, they're still just trying to stick a pig's bladder between two sticks."

What does that mean?

I quite like reading the good RSS footy posts - but given that there are so many good football blogs on the Internet, I don't see why you won't even consider using another source. Or if not, surely there are better footy blogs than this one on the BBC website?

Please take a look at:
    My Photostream on Flickr

Footballs used to be made of pigs bladders in Ye Olde Days John. The rest can be worked out. :)

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post

I can't stand phrases like "them herberts who go out there and for the cost of two terraced houses in a Northern town a week, pose and plummet and whinge and wail, they're still just trying to stick a pig's bladder between two sticks."

What does that mean?

John it means no matter who's playing the game and at what level the aim is the same, to score a goal and it gives the same pleasure and has the same twists and turns that make the sport so good that it doesn't matter who is playing it or where it is played it is essentially the same.

"I put a skylight in my apartment...... the people upstairs are furious." - Stephen Wright

My Website : http://www.mrmrsportssystems.co.uk
    Now offering three subscription based betting systems and daily free bets.
    Free bets 34.7pts up in October

Quote Originally Posted by MattR View Post
    John it means no matter who's playing the game and at what level the aim is the same, to score a goal and it gives the same pleasure and has the same twists and turns that make the sport so good that it doesn't matter who is playing it or where it is played it is essentially the same.
    Terrible when us oldies have to translate for the younger generation!

Thread Information