Cookie Policy: This web site uses cookies. By using this site you agree to our cookie policy.
Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to the T&C. This is an information forum, and it is just that information, all views are of the individual poster and not that of the site owner. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material without the owners permission. If you copy news or articles include a link back to the original site. Threads/Posts may be deleted on request. No other links without permission.
BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION: Your question has probably been asked before, so please use the
SEARCH FUNCTION, as we grow tired of answering the same question again and again.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Silly Season (Summer Transfer Window 2009)

Silly Season (Summer Transfer Window 2009)

I normally wait a little while before starting this thread but it seems that, this summer, silly season has started earlier than usual.

No sooner has the transfer window re-opened than two players who were most definitely not leaving their respective clubs for all the tea in China now appear to be on the move!

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...360063,00.html

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...360176,00.html

Champions League, we're 'aving a laugh, Champions League, we're 'aving a laugh!

Doesn't take long to start does it! Can't help thinking that's an awful lot of money to pay for Barry. He's decent but I'm not convinced he's that good.

"I put a skylight in my apartment...... the people upstairs are furious." - Stephen Wright

My Website : http://www.mrmrsportssystems.co.uk
    Now offering three subscription based betting systems and daily free bets.
    Free bets 34.7pts up in October

Quote Originally Posted by MattR View Post
    Doesn't take long to start does it! Can't help thinking that's an awful lot of money to pay for Barry. He's decent but I'm not convinced he's that good.
    Didn't Villa turn down at least 15 million from Liverpool!?

Quote Originally Posted by jonahjones View Post
    Didn't Villa turn down at least 15 million from Liverpool!?
    I didn't realise he hadn't signed a new contract at Villa when he failed to sign for Liverpool last summer.

His contract at Villa was due to expire next summer and so a very good deal for the selling club in my opinion as his head had obviously been turned and it appears that he had no intention of signing a new one.

I agree with you by the way, Matt, decent enough player but 11 million is silly money.

I'm afraid we are going to have to get used to this where Manchester City are concerned.

I fear they are going to come after Lescott. :(

Villa were after 18 million last season!

I though Barry going to Liverpool was a cert this summer, but I guess he thinks City's the place to be at! Maybe disappointed with Liverpool's inability to pay Villa's asking price!

Or maybe they've offered him a fortune :D

The Vegster!

Winner of Ada's Eurovision Game 2014

I'm probably being cynical here, but the fact that Barry's gone to City for financial luxury and other purple velvetty clauses wouldn't surprise me... then again that probably ain't too far from the truth.

Great player on the ball - yes. 12 million? No. 10 Million? No. 8 Million? Maybe.

Please take a look at:
    My Photostream on Flickr

Barry's not really a toug'un anymore in the footy world, so he's just doing what most of us would do, and get his retirement fund in.

FREE Live Odds Comparison Software

Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Filipino UK Filipino Forum | Win2Win Racing - Free Tips

It was obvious Barry would leave Aston Villa at some point this summer so it was only a question of where he went. None of the major European clubs were interested in him so it was going to be Liverpool or Man City realistically.

Expect Man City to 'hijack' more deals this summer too, even if they don't need the players. Man Utd have done this before - sign players they don't really need but it stops other clubs having them.

The curious thing about the Barry deal is he is turning down European football with Villa to go to Man City so there must be some financial sweetener to the deal for the player.

Quote Originally Posted by mathare View Post
    The curious thing about the Barry deal is he is turning down European football with Villa to go to Man City so there must be some financial sweetener to the deal for the player.

But wouldn't hit have been even sweeter to wait until his contract finshed and clean up with a few million quid in his pocket from from a signing on fee?

The Vegster!

Maybe Vegy, but he'd also have been 29 and what if he didn't have a good season? Guess he thought he'd take it while it was on offer. Let's be honest much as it's easy to sit here and say he's gone there for financial reasons we'd probably all do the same in any other job in the world.

"I put a skylight in my apartment...... the people upstairs are furious." - Stephen Wright

Maybe Vegy, but he'd also have been 29 and what if he didn't have a good season? Guess he thought he'd take it while it was on offer. Let's be honest much as it's easy to sit here and say he's gone there for financial reasons we'd probably all do the same in any other job in the world.
    Vegy would do it for a pound

Let's be honest much as it's easy to sit here and say he's gone there for financial reasons we'd probably all do the same in any other job in the world.
    Absolutely, and I'll happily admit that. Your earning potential as a footballer is limited by the length of your career, and in the top flight you're spent by 35 and the big money doesn't come in till you're early to mid 20s really. So you have less than 15 years to make as much as you can and set you up for life. I'd be chasing every penny I could too if I were a professional footballer.

Let's be honest much as it's easy to sit here and say he's gone there for financial reasons we'd probably all do the same in any other job in the world.
    But in most other jobs more money probably means a better position, and or higher rank,

That is not (necessarily) the case in football.

The Vegster!

I fear they are going to come after Lescott. :(
    No worries there - although he does score goals...

Gareth Barry is probably the nearest thing that City have to a holding player - the big concern is that the current back 4 will probably see that as an invitation to play just behind the front 5

Wasn't Kompany brought in for the holding role?

Hamman does a great job in that role, or rather did as he's probably past it now.

Yeah I think so. So was that De Jong as well wasn't he? Not that he looked up to much for 16m from what I saw of him.

Kaka 56 million anyone! What Credit Crunch?

The Vegster!

or 73 million to chelsea as sky are now saying

It's over to you then madrid!

"Listen to me. I can just about handle you, driving like a pissed-up crackhead and treating women like beanbags, but I’m going to say this once and once only, Gene: stay out of Camberwick Green!"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_cIbBTkn70&feature=related

milan are just using chelsea to up the price, if you believe all the rumours chelsea are after just about every player in the world :D
    the word around chelsea is that we are after alonso, bibery and villa but carvalho has hinted that he wants away so we might be in the market for a center back and maybe a left back as cover for cole, a few fringe players will be leaving this summer but my personal opinion is cash in on anelka now while we can still get good money for him as he's not a team player and never has been.

I have an impressive bank of knowledge and experience. Unfortunately, I've lost the combination to this bank.

I didn't think Anelka had ever been a player!

united are going to bid for torres so it says in the daily express (yes of course they are ) would be hilarious tho.

¦19¦ YEARS ¦34¦ YEARS SUBJECT TO CHANGE :(

G L A Z E R O U T !

Quote Originally Posted by peza2605 View Post
    united are going to bid for torres so it says in the daily express (yes of course they are ) would be hilarious tho.
    Is that a FACT?! :D

lowe1 is offline Win2Win Racing Club Member

Leyton Orient have just got a bargain

Ben Chorley (CB) from the Tranmere , signed on a free wanted to be nearer his family in London

Was our second best player last season behind Antony Kay , exellent defender and will be a great addition for you

Quote Originally Posted by lowe1 View Post
    Leyton Orient have just got a bargain

Ben Chorley (CB) from the Tranmere , signed on a free wanted to be nearer his family in London

Was our second best player last season behind Antony Kay , exellent defender and will be a great addition for you
    Was Chorley well-liked by the fans Tony?

I went to watch you at home to Bristol Rovers last season and he was getting slated by the elder statesmen around me in the Main Stand, however, they did all remind me of Waldorf and Sadler. :)

Blackburn Rovers have signed Danish international Lars Jacobsen who spent last season on loan at Everton from German side Nurnberg. Are you sure we couldn't interest you in Tony Hibbert instead Sam?!

Wolves will tomorrow announce the signing of striker Kevin Doyle from Reading for around £6million.

Strong rumours also that Manchester United are close to signing Antonio Valencia from Wigan for circa £16million.

Strong rumours also that Manchester United are close to signing Antonio Valencia from Wigan for circa £16million.
    It is now a done deal.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...408310,00.html

blimey, someone signed for united without it dragging out all summer, whats the world coming to. wimbledon will have a roof next....

¦19¦ YEARS ¦34¦ YEARS SUBJECT TO CHANGE :(

G L A Z E R O U T !

Quote Originally Posted by peza2605 View Post
    wimbledon will have a roof next....
    That will be to stop them from playing the long-ball game Pez. :)

Brilliant.

Thread Information