Cookie Policy: This web site uses cookies. By using this site you agree to our cookie policy.
Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to the T&C. This is an information forum, and it is just that information, all views are of the individual poster and not that of the site owner. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material without the owners permission. If you copy news or articles include a link back to the original site. Threads/Posts may be deleted on request. No other links without permission.
BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION: Your question has probably been asked before, so please use the
SEARCH FUNCTION, as we grow tired of answering the same question again and again.

Thread: books

books

I feel that one of the nicest things you can do is recommend a book which you have enjoyed in the hope that others will derive the same pleasure of course we all have different opinions and taste but i am thinking better to have tried and failed ect.

My all time fav book one that i have re read more than any other over the years was in fact written over 50yrs ago but is still well worth reading to day it is HMS ULYSSES by ALISTAIR MACLEAN it is fiction based on fact and revolves around the men of the royal and merchant navy who took the convoys to Russia during ww2.
    I kind of use this book as my bible because when ever i am feeling hard done bye or a bit of pain i realise this is nothing in comparison to what these brave men went through unsung heros for sure.

From a betting point of view one of my fav which was published in 92 is THE HIGH ROLLERS OF THE TURF i love reading about these big backers and it would be great if the author RAYMOND SMITH could bring out an updated version covering those who are new on the scene since 92

well thats it if you read them i hope you get as much enjoyment as i did

Books - Favourite authors

Two years ago I was introduced to an author called Clive Cussler. Having now read 20 of his books I must say he is now my favourite author.

He started writing in the 80's and is still going strong to this day. His style is action/adventure, with his main character being a marine engineer called Dirk Pitt who works for NUMA - National Underwater Marine Agency in the USA.
    Dirk is a real man's man who has adventures all over the globe saving the world. He even raised the Titanic!!

Another' great author is Lee Child. His main character is a 250 lb, 6' 5" ex Miltary Policeman called Jack Reacher. Adventures are mainly in the USA and he goes after the bad guys. He is the sort of person you would certainly want on your side if you were in trouble! 'Killing Floor' is the first Jack Reacher novel and a great place to start.

Hope they give you as much pleasure as they have me.:)

books

cheers Jonty will try both , i have often found some of the best fiction is written by Americans i don't think they have a better imagination than us but may be higher expectations !

If you like crime fiction, a couple of great US crime writers are James Lee Burke, and Robert Crais. Burke's novels are set in the deep south, and the way he describes the area, the sights, sounds and smells is amazing, you feel as if you're totally immersed in the place. He's won many awards through his career (he's in his 70's now). I'd put him up there with the greats - Chandler, Hammett etc.

Crais isn't far behind either - if you saw the excellent Bruce Willis movie Hostage a couple of years back, that was one of his novels. His main series character is Elvis Cole, a former US Army Ranger, and his partner Joe Pike, a less than talkative ex Marine and LAPD officer. The interplay between these two is great and the stories really scoot along at quite a pace.

My keyboard's running out of ink....

books

Quote Originally Posted by bigcumba View Post
    If you like crime fiction, a couple of great US crime writers are James Lee Burke, and Robert Crais. Burke's novels are set in the deep south, and the way he describes the area, the sights, sounds and smells is amazing, you feel as if you're totally immersed in the place. He's won many awards through his career (he's in his 70's now). I'd put him up there with the greats - Chandler, Hammett etc.

Crais isn't far behind either - if you saw the excellent Bruce Willis movie Hostage a couple of years back, that was one of his novels. His main series character is Elvis Cole, a former US Army Ranger, and his partner Joe Pike, a less than talkative ex Marine and LAPD officer. The interplay between these two is great and the stories really scoot along at quite a pace.
    cheers bc i had not tried either of these and will give them a go they both sound interesting that's what i like about good fiction it not only entertains it educates you it takes you there

My missus reads a lot of Clive Cussler and tried to get me into them. I found them too long and a bit far-fetched and hated the cameo appearances by the author

My mum is having a bit of a chuckle (rare thing these days) reading Jack Dee's - Thanks For Nothing, I was thinking about recommending it at some point.

Thread Information