Cookie Policy: This web site uses cookies. By using this site you agree to our cookie policy.
Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to the T&C. This is an information forum, and it is just that information, all views are of the individual poster and not that of the site owner. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material without the owners permission. If you copy news or articles include a link back to the original site. Threads/Posts may be deleted on request. No other links without permission.
BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION: Your question has probably been asked before, so please use the
SEARCH FUNCTION, as we grow tired of answering the same question again and again.

Thread: most memorable win

most memorable win

I have been trying to think of a thread which might generate some interest and help get us through this weather
    My most memorable win comes from a long time ago it is the 1985 Cambridgeshire won by TREMBLANT.When the weights where published i analyzed the race and he came out top by 5lbs,which on my figs is a massive amount especially in such a competitive race,i was tempted to jump straight in but having come unstuck in the ante post market on several past occasions waited until the day,all the conditions appeared right for the horse and i went in at 16/1.
    I no it will sound silly but i felt so confident it was almost like i already knew the result.Then sat lunchtime we received call saying a relative had been rushed to hospital.It was not until the off time of the race that the doctor was able to inform us that the person was out of danger and would be OK
    One receiving this news i made a very undignified sprint for the day room where fortunately two patients where watching the racing and i was able to see the horse win
    I understand that it is considered bad form to mention the amount of a past win on these forums,so i will finish by saying that i have a large framed picture of the horse on my lounge wall, and even after all these years i never get bored with looking at it.
    So that's mine i would be interested in reading yours.

I don't think anyone would mind you stating the amount won Mick. It wouldn't be seen as gloating I don't think in this context. Of course if you'd rather not say that's fine too.

I have had two memorable situations with the correct score markets on football. One a win the other an agonising outcome to a decision I made on a bet.

The latter came out about 4 years ago (maybe even 5). At that time I was doing some betting at bookmakers and laying off on betfair before that became pretty rare to find opportunities to do so. I had bet a correct score of 1-0 in a French game for I think around £50 at odds of 8/1 and had managed to get it layed at 5/1 on betfair. I then decided well I might as well spread some of that profit around a bit, so decided to bet a couple of pounds here and there on other scores and on those scores that were very high odds then I put a pound on them. The home team were heavy odds on favourites so most of the away scores were in the 100's plus Anyway 3-3 was 1000 (999/1) and that meant I couldn't bet under the £2 limit on betfair so I thought well that won't happen anyway and didn't bet it. Oh how wrong could I be!!! 3-3 was the final score!! I could have won £2000 if I'd just put the £2 on.

The memorable win came about 3 weeks ago with a correct score system I am currently running. It's a system based on the value of the odds of correct scores compared to the predicted odds. It threw up a bet of £4.25 on Fulham to beat Man Utd 3-0 which I got at 200/1 I was nowhere near a computer when I heard on the radio they had gone 3-0 up and there were still 15 minutes to go so there was no way I could lay off my bet on betfair to at least guarantee a win should there be another goal. Thankfully there wasn't!

"I put a skylight in my apartment...... the people upstairs are furious." - Stephen Wright

My Website : http://www.mrmrsportssystems.co.uk
    Now offering three subscription based betting systems and daily free bets.
    Free bets 34.7pts up in October

most memoral win

Mattr i don't no anything about betting on football ,but enjoyed reading your post,some odds well done.

I have a few memorable wins that i can think of the most satisfying at the time was electrocussionist the godolphin horse which won at about 9/4 but 8 of my rsb systems picked it and as i was punting for aliving at the time it was avery sizeable return.

I backed persian punch in the goodwood cup to win £2170 that was an amount i remember as i picked the winnings up in cash.

Another couple that spring to mind were zucherro in the lincoln at 33/1 and amassive punt on ahorse called riska king of richard faheys at york one sunday a year or 2 ago was psssst out of my mind in the dine and view and woke up a few hours later on my sofa at home with my suit pockets full of reddies ha ha ha ha ha ha

My all time favourite though was penzance in the triumph hurdle which i had backed heavily antepost at a series of big odds i remember he travelled well all the way and then went clear but tony dobbin pursued him up the run in and as i was listening on the phone it was very tense but he held on gamely.

The most heavily i think i ever backed anything though was gunner welburn ew in the national the year montys pass won it i had an overwhelming certainty that the horse would win and put £20 ew on it every time i won a bet in the months leading up to the national he got in the money for me but a bad error cost anything more.

Nice to reflect aint it

‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’

What about the muppet who threatened to 'do in' Conduit and its owners Reminded me of the Catherine Tate Xmas sketch with the lottery money :D

FREE Live Odds Comparison Software

Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Filipino UK Filipino Forum | Win2Win Racing - Free Tips

most memoral win

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    What about the muppet who threatened to 'do in' Conduit and its owners Reminded me of the Catherine Tate Xmas sketch with the lottery money :D
    dont recall this could you enlighten

most memoral win

streetcry,i well remember the Penzance race,i can also recall the heady feeling which goes with leaving the racecourse or bookies with your pockets crammed with cash(very occasionally)my betting is all done on line now and i guess the aforementioned was never the wisest thing to do even years ago, but a bloody good memory never the less.

Quote Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
    It was in the papers today. Some fella should have put a bet on for a syndicate and all the selections up to Conduit had won so he threatened to kill the horse if it ran because if it won he would be massively out of pocket

Quote Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukp...wWejySw4d2tT5g

How NOT to make friends, and influence people :D

My biggest win was just over £17,000 with a Trixie abotu 10 years ago, and I can't remember one horse :splapme I do remember that I placed it with a small bookie who took 2 months to pay-up . I'd only opened the credit account 2 weeks earlier

most memoral win

I am enjoying this thread so will weigh in with another one (i wish) to put the monetary sums into context,if i tell you that at the time this occurred you could buy a house for 5k and £100 was considered a huge bet a few of you will be able to empathise.
    I became friends with a guy who serviced my car and he was a leading light in the local CORALS shop,anyway i was having a good run and he took to phoning every day to find out what i was backing.One morning he phoned, and i told him i was not betting that day i could not find anything ,but being in funds and needing to bet he persisted,"comeon mick you must have something for to day".So to end the conversation i told him there was only one i fancied a little which was called starlight , but i would not be backing it
    Anyway the next afternoon when i went into the CORALS the place was in uproar the regulars actually started clapping,coming up shaking my hand and sticking £5 notes in my pocket,the shop manager just glared at me.
    It turns out that the previous afternoon my mate had gone in to back star light and told all the regulars that i had gone to Lingfield to have £1000 win on it.The horse won at 33/1
    Apart from the fact that i did not have a penny on the horse the most annoying thing was when i tried to tell them this they point blankly refused to believe me!.

Me and a guy I worked with used to have £1 each on the Saturday Tote Jackpot and occasionally picked up a 'consolation prize'. We had been doing it for about 10 months and it was the summer holidays. By coincidence, we were both on the same coach to Blackpool and I joked that if the driver got his foot down, we could still get a bet on.

You can imagine the look on my face when I picked up the paper on the Monday and there he was holding up a cheque for £50,000 (I'm going back a long way - that was about 10 years wages!).

Tight beggar didn't even buy me a drink out of the winning!

most memorable win

I am hoping we can keep the momentum going on this thread, because it has been interesting reading some of your memorys.

Here's another one from me occurring many years ago it concerns a horse called Emperors Shadow running at Newmarket,i had built a good case for the horse but its recent form was not good,and in a smallish field with a claimer riding it was fc at 15/2.I had not been having a very good run and i almost bottled it,but going over my notes on the race again i finally decided to place the bet,

I had to work that afternoon,and about an hour after the race ,we had a delivery driver call in who i knew was a betting man,when i asked if he had been in the bookies and how emperors had done he replied yes, and no good.

Oh bother,i though another loser,i did not get home from work until 10pm,all in all it had been a trying shift and a day i wanted to forget about so went straight to bed

You can imagine my delight the next morning when opening the sporting life to read that emperors shadow had in fact won the race at 12/1.For years after that guy was protesting it was a genuine mistake ,and i am still not sure whether or not to believe him, but under the circumstances its difficult to hold a grudge!.

I guess it should be more memorable considering, but I can't remember the name of the damn horse , but it was a system bet a few years back that was a winner at SP of 33/1 and I got over 90's on Betfair... and £28 on it... other than that there was a huge wad on the classy Hunter Chaser Earthmover, odds on to win, something like 8/13, and won by around half a mile! Won a few times on that old boy...

My keyboard's running out of ink....

Quote Originally Posted by bigcumba View Post
    Won a few times on that old boy...
    I remember you going on about Earthmover over the years, aye.

One of the wins that stands out for me was perhaps my first win, a couple of quid (I think, it would have been a fiver at most and could even have just been a quid, I can't remember) on Batistuta to score first in the World Cup match between England and Argentina. 1998 I think it was, the one where Beckham got sent off for kicking out while on the floor, that one.

Other wins that spring to mind include a nice free bet on the Pittsburgh Steelers off a scratch handicap against the Miami Dolphins back in 2006. It was a promotion Mansion were running to celebrate their sponsorship of Spurs. I had £580 on it which was I think the maximum under the Ts&Cs. If it won, I won and if it lost then I got my stakes back. I remember it being a massive pain getting my money into Mansion and it took me a few days to get the cash in there and get the bet on but I am glad I did as the bet came in at 1.91 so it was effectively a free £527.80 thanks to Mansion. Whom I haven't used since

Laa Rayb last summer is also up there. I had what for me was a chunky bet on it at 33/1 as it was a qualifier in the Mark Johnston system and won nicely.

My biggest win is also a memorable won. That came courtesy of Chelsea a few weeks back during their 3-3 draw with Everton. I had nearly £300 on the draw (again, the stakes were set by a system I follow) and it came in at a nice price of 9/2 netting me nearly £1300 in profit.

mo

[QUOTE=bigcumba;520842]I guess it should be more memorable considering, but I can't remember the name of the damn horse , but it was a system bet a few years back that was a winner at SP of 33/1 and I got over 90's on Betfair]

I love reading about other peoples big wins,90/1 fantastic.
    In my whole life i have only backed one 33/1 winner but i remember it well, i think i was 19 and had not been betting for long.At the time i was earning £5 a day as a hod carrier and this was fantastic money.The horses name was cupid running in the big 3yo hcap at the good wood meeting,it was a pure fluke that i decided to back i still could not tell you why,but i had £5 ew at the morning price of 33/1.,with the local Jennings bookies,and when we went back after the horse had won they did not have enough money to pay me the lot in one go,i well remember the elderly fellow who was the board boy saying to the manager "i just don't no how they pick them" never to be repeated but a lovely memory never the less.

On the Jockey/Trainer system I used to put up on the site some years back, I had a 124/1 and 118/1 . It's a lot of working keeping those systems up-to-date, and has a very low SR.

Cant remember the year it was at least 6 years ago, but it was the November Cheltenham meeting,

We were at uttoxeter for a alcohol fuelled weekend at the races :D

Exotic Dancer was 33/1 and my mate liked the name, 4 of us all had a tenner e/w, obviously it won, which was great, but walking back from the races stopping at the bookies in town and taking nearly 2grand between us off them was a bloody nice feeling

most memorable win

I find it interesting that the majority of posts on this thread so far,refer to the biggest price winner,as opposed to largest amount won,i don't no if there is a moral here?.

I think it's probably down to the fact of 'getting one over' on the bookies I suppose and picking that big priced winner which makes it more memorable. I think for the same reasons it's equally satisfying to lay an odds on horse/team, whatever it may be, and get a win.

"I put a skylight in my apartment...... the people upstairs are furious." - Stephen Wright

My Website : http://www.mrmrsportssystems.co.uk
    Now offering three subscription based betting systems and daily free bets.
    Free bets 34.7pts up in October

most memorable win

I don't do them myself so cannot give you an example, but i would love to hear from any member who has got a big multiple bet up. or come close.

most memorable win

Quote Originally Posted by MattR View Post
    I think it's probably down to the fact of 'getting one over' on the bookies I suppose and picking that big priced winner which makes it more memorable. I think for the same reasons it's equally satisfying to lay an odds on horse/team, whatever it may, be and get a win.
    yes i think you are spot on there matt,it is a very satisfying feeling when you go against the majority view and get it right,perhaps particularly when the successful selection is the product of your own efforts.

most memorable win

As i have been whining about missing out on bigger priced winners recently i thought i would share with you a memory from last year when this was not the Case

Sat jun 20th a lot of racing on but after spending many hours the day before analysing the races of interest i could only come up with two possibles,and to be honest i did not feel confident about either.

They both came into the category of what i term default bets ie it was not so much the case i could build for them winning,but rather the strong case against the opposition,for me this type of opportunity does not occur frequently nor produce a high s/r, but i have found over the years that the ROI on these type of bets was very worthwhile.

So i placed my normal stake on both, the first was La zamora in the 3.50 i watched this win @ 9/1.The other one Oneway or another was in the 8.05 at haydock ,i knew i had already earned well on the day whatever happened,and went to a friends birthday party that evening,in a great frame of mind,i then made what i considered at the time a real blunder,as talking to one of the guests whom i did not no that well ,when it transpired he was a betting man i could not resist telling him of my afternoon success and the bet yet to run that evening,

I don't no about you guys but i normally refrain from giving tips to friends who are not seriously in to racing and have no inclination to think about long term profits ect,i guess in this instance it must have been the drink talking.

So you can imagine the pleasant surprise i received when at 8.15 this guy burst out into the garden shouting his head off about just winning over £800 yes after our conversation he had phoned his bookie and had £50 e/w the horse i had told him about which he had just discovered had won 14/1.

He did eventually have the manners to inform everyone it was thanks to me,and i reciprocated by keeping quiet about the size of my total winnings on the day.It was a good party!.

With the festival fast approaching i wondered if any members would care to share thier most memorable win at this event.This is a post whereby unfortunately i cannot start the ball rolling as the meeting has never been kind to me,and this is one of the reasons i would be most interested in reading about your successes.

Cheltenham is one of my worst courses so like you Mick I don't really have any good tales to tell.

lowe1 is offline Win2Win Racing Club Member

Away from Cheltenham

1998 i was a member of a racing club in our local pub and we had £1000 e/w on Sunny Bay , if i remember correct we got around 14/1 weeks before the race. Watching the race nearly killed us all , sunny bay came round the bend well in front and looking like the next national winner but the mud got the better of him and earth summit caught him up to win by a big distance

We still got just under 4 grand in total back but for a while were looking at a lot of money

most memorable win

Hi lowe 1 ,i was part of something simular in a pub many years ago when RED RUM won the last of his 3 nationals.In those days the opening hours where more restricted and the doors had been locked. The pub was full of us privileged regulars and to a man and woman we where on Red Rum i can still after all these years hear the roars of encouragement that where unleashed on that long run in and the landlords completely ineffectual appeals to keep the noise down lads you will have old bill on us.

Fortunately the police stayed away and the party went on for two days.Great horse great memory shame about the hangover.

Thread Information