Cookie Policy: This web site uses cookies. By using this site you agree to our cookie policy.
Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to the T&C. This is an information forum, and it is just that information, all views are of the individual poster and not that of the site owner. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material without the owners permission. If you copy news or articles include a link back to the original site. Threads/Posts may be deleted on request. No other links without permission.
BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION: Your question has probably been asked before, so please use the
SEARCH FUNCTION, as we grow tired of answering the same question again and again.

Thread: "himself"

"himself"

My entry for the hall of fame has got to be the greatest horse that ever lived -ARKLE, named after a mountain in Scotland. Peter O'Sullivan called him "A freak of nature"

A grandson of the great NEARCO, an Italian horse that ran 14 races and won 14, Arkle was a blood relative to all the great horses. Northern Dancer, Secritariat, Seattle Slew, Ballymoss, Never Say Die, Nijinsky, Sir Ivor and many more.

My "favourite" horse from that era was Mill House and it was sad to see Arkle break his heart on three occasions although Mill house did beat him once by 5 lengths.

I think Mill House won the Cheltenhjam Gold Cup in 1963 then Arkle won in 1964 (Mill House 2nd) then Arkle again in 1965 (Mill House 2nd again)
    then Arkle again in 1966(Dormant 2nd )

He also won the 1965 Whitbread Gold Cup (Mill House 2nd I think) but his greatest victory, was in the 1964 Irish Grand National which he won by one length, carrying 13 Stone - all the others carried 10 St 7 lb, what a performance!

The Irish Jockey Club had to create two sets of handicap weights, one set for when Arkle was in the race and another set for when he wasn't.

Kauto Star, Denman, Best mate wouldn't have been able to live with him. He was the highest rated Chaser of all time on 212.

I agree with Sir Peter, he was a freak of nature and I dont expect to see another "HIMSELF" in my lifetime.

He died at age 13 from cancer.

himself

cheers for sharing that tovarich a most interesting read,i never knew about the 13 stones fantastic but i bet that sodded up the private handicappers!.

I don't think there was as much info then as today for private handicapping, Mick.

Certainly I spent most of the 60's overseas so found it hard to keep up with it all but I do remember seeing "HIMSELF" on various occassions. I don't think I mentioned that he won 27 races out of 35 starts. Great Record.

Quote Originally Posted by tovarich View Post
    I don't think there was as much info then as today for private handicapping, Mick.

Certainly I spent most of the 60's overseas so found it hard to keep up with it all but I do remember seeing "HIMSELF" on various occassions. I don't think I mentioned that he won 27 races out of 35 starts. Great Record.
    HI what about dick francis who i did a thread on today,also would love to hear some of your racing experiances from those days.

Would have loved to have been around to see him live in action.

It is not the cards you are dealt but what you do with them that counts

himself

Quote Originally Posted by tophatter View Post
    Would have loved to have been around to see him live in action.
    agree tops i wonder if we could persuade some of our senior members to start a thread about those days,i would love to read thier experiences of the betting shops illegal or otherwise what a day at the races was like etc beats politics any day.

Google up Arkle, scroll down to you tube and you'll get his three Gold Cup wins on video.

Thread Information