Cookie Policy: This web site uses cookies. By using this site you agree to our cookie policy.
Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to the T&C. This is an information forum, and it is just that information, all views are of the individual poster and not that of the site owner. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material without the owners permission. If you copy news or articles include a link back to the original site. Threads/Posts may be deleted on request. No other links without permission.
BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION: Your question has probably been asked before, so please use the
SEARCH FUNCTION, as we grow tired of answering the same question again and again.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: World book day , what are you reading

world book day

Hi bill i read it over 30yrs ago so hope it is still available because it is hilarious and also recalls some of spikes military experiences which made me think it was one you where referring to ,if you can find a copy i am sure you will enjoy.

I remember reading his war one's in the eighties. Something like Hitler, my part in his downfall, or something like that. Very funny and like him totally mad too!

Currently reading Adventures On The High Tea: In search of Middle England by Stuart Maconie. Quite amusing and irreverent.

Fave book is a difficult one. Read just about all of Dean Koontz's books and they are usually very good. Enjoy Andy McNab's Nick Stone series as well. Countless others too but don't have a definitive favourite. Off the top of my head i'd say IT by Stephen King would be thereabouts.

"I put a skylight in my apartment...... the people upstairs are furious." - Stephen Wright

My Website : http://www.mrmrsportssystems.co.uk
    Now offering three subscription based betting systems and daily free bets.
    Free bets 34.7pts up in October

lowe1 is offline Win2Win Racing Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by MattR View Post

Currently reading Adventures On The High Tea: In search of Middle England by Stuart Maconie. Quite amusing and irreverent.

Is that any good Matt ?? i did pick it up at the airport and was thinking of buying it, i imagine it to be a bit like one of Brysons books, notes from a small island for example

Quote Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
    Hi bill i read it over 30yrs ago so hope it is still available because it is hilarious and also recalls some of spikes military experiences which made me think it was one you where referring to ,if you can find a copy i am sure you will enjoy.
    Plenty on Amazon Mick. Cheers.
    The book I was thinking os was Adolf Hitler: My Part in His Downfall. Absolutely hilarious

world book day

cheers bill not read that one will do so

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Adolf Hitler: My Part in His Downfall. Absolutely hilarious
    totally agree, all 7 volumes of his war memoirs are brilliant.. worth a look too are his spoofs of classic books.. if you know any bible bashers buy them a copy of the Bible According To Spike Milligan.. very funny.. he also did Lady Chatterley.. Frankenstein, quite a few others, some are a bit hit and miss, but always a few laughs in them

My keyboard's running out of ink....

world book day

Posting about a book i had not read for many years PUCKOON,brought to mind a series of books i read years ago by G MacDonald fraiser The Flashman papers ,They where brilliant and follow the fictitious life of flashman the bully from tom browns school days.

Each book cleverly covers an accurate period and events from history in which the author involves a reluctant flashman who continues to be in his own words a coward and rascal,They are really funny but you at same time get an accurate portrayal of historical events two where the charge of the light brigade(which flashman claims to have started by breakingwind and startling lord cardegans horse) the other one he was at custers last stand,but there where several and all well worth the read.

Infact i am going to do so myself

claims to have started by breakingwind and ......

amazing what a bit of judicious editing can throw up :D

Seriously though Mick, I've been meaning to read the Flashman books for years and just never got around to is as they have been recommended to me several times.. I'll get there eventually.

At the moment I've restarted reading Stephen King's Dark Tower series.. I read the first 3 probably 20+ years ago, and now it's a complete 7 book series I'm going to read them all the way through.. got them on my ebook reader to take to work..

MattR - now I've mentioned King.. I remembered you saying IT was your fave.. that one is a classic definitely.. of his I also think the full version of the Stand is brilliant.. I'd also recommend anything by Clive Barker.. from his Books of Blood through all his novels he's always been brilliant. Weaveworld, The Damnation Game, Everville.. every one a classic.

world book day

Nice one BC wish you would edit my losing bets in the same way,

Posting about a book i had not read for many years PUCKOON,brought to mind a series of books i read years ago by G MacDonald fraiser The Flashman papers ,They where brilliant and follow the fictitious life of flashman the bully from tom browns school days.

Each book cleverly covers an accurate period and events from history in which the author involves a reluctant flashman who continues to be in his own words a coward and rascal,They are really funny but you at same time get an accurate portrayal of historical events two where the charge of the light brigade(which flashman claims to have started by breakingwind and startling lord cardegans horse) the other one he was at custers last stand,but there where several and all well worth the read.

Read them all when I was a lot younger. Great reads.

world book day

hi bill have just looked up the author on line and there are at least five flashmans that i had not read the last published 2005,also i did not no he has written some non fiction which looks interesting great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by lowe1 View Post
    Is that any good Matt ?? i did pick it up at the airport and was thinking of buying it, i imagine it to be a bit like one of Brysons books, notes from a small island for example
    Only about half way through so far but yes I'm enjoying it. It started a little slowly but I quickly got into it and there's some very amusing bits in there including a two page bit on marmite which was excellent.

"I put a skylight in my apartment...... the people upstairs are furious." - Stephen Wright

Quote Originally Posted by bigcumba View Post
    amazing what a bit of judicious editing can throw up :D

I've been Flashman for years and just never got recommended .. I'll get there eventually.

At the moment I've probably 20+ full Books of Blood. .. every one a classic.
    Yes, so I see :D

I seem to remember reading a Barker book some time ago, I'll have to keep an eye out for them. I really enjoyed The Stand too. Have you read any of his more recent books BigC, I haven't read any since hmm possibly Dolores Clabourne (spelling?) I thought his books started to get a bit long winded with large uneccessary padding in places. His earlier stuff was always excellent though and I should really pick up some of the more recent ones at the library

Right now this moment I am reading this topic. :wink

Bookwise I have just finished Walking with Angels, and I am about to start Dirty Leeds.

Fave book I just couldn't say.
    I prefer true life and autobiographies but fiction wise I loved reading Stephen King, and James Herbert

'SOULMATES NEVER DIE'
    MySpace
    PHOTOS

Very good Matt! I think the only recent King book I read was Cell.. that was pretty good, a bit shorter than some of his others.. well worth a read.

Books I dip into every now and again:

1. God: The Failed Hypothesis - How Science Shows That God Does Not Exist
    2. The God Delusion (Dawkins)
    3. The Unbearable Lightness of Being. This one's more of a "story" book that I keep starting and then get out the habit of reading.

I'm not very good at books you have to read all the time. I prefer books you can read a bit of, put down, pick up in 6 months, read some more. Fiction isn't really my bag, unfortunately.

Another book I'm thinking of buying is Decoding Reality: The Universe as Quantum Information.

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson is a great read.

Nothing to heavy then as you can see.

I read Pete Doherty's and Ryan Giggs' autobiographies - both brilliant reads. Doherty is in fact a genius. Wasted brains, wasted intellect I'm afraid to say.

Please take a look at:
    My Photostream on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Books I dip into every now and again:

1. God: The Failed Hypothesis - How Science Shows That God Does Not Exist
    2. The God Delusion (Dawkins)
    Shame ol' Dubya hadn't read those. But here's one I'll be looking out for once / if ever, it becomes more available:

'Duped by a supposed ally.'

US / Israel: The Special Relationship
    An Entangled Alliance

Interview With Jeff Gates By Press TV

To restore national security requires a reappraisal of the U.S.-Israeli “special relationship.”

Jeff Gates is A widely acclaimed author, attorney, investment banker, educator and consultant to government, corporate and union leaders worldwide.

http://www.informationclearinghouse....ticle24961.htm Quality little video!

PS: GS can now be followed on Twitter as @themastarata

Quote Originally Posted by bigcumba View Post
    Very good Matt! I think the only recent King book I read was Cell.. that was pretty good, a bit shorter than some of his others.. well worth a read.

Thanks, I'll look out for that BigC. :)

Thread Information