Cookie Policy: This web site uses cookies. By using this site you agree to our cookie policy.
Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to the T&C. This is an information forum, and it is just that information, all views are of the individual poster and not that of the site owner. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material without the owners permission. If you copy news or articles include a link back to the original site. Threads/Posts may be deleted on request. No other links without permission.
BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION: Your question has probably been asked before, so please use the
SEARCH FUNCTION, as we grow tired of answering the same question again and again.

Thread: Going to Cheltenham

Going to Cheltenham

hi folks

Im going to Cheltenham on the 19th for Gold Cup day, has anybody else been before and have any advice?

All ive been told so far is to take binoculars!

Matt

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I hope you like crowds! Cheltenham is always busy so plan ahead. If you leave your bets till the last minute you may not get through the crowds to get on. If you want a beer or some food between races, go straight after one race to make sure you get served and can get any bets on before the next race.

Get there early, if you can, to get your bearings. It'll serve you well later on.

There is an indoor bit whose name eludes me at present but they often have some live music on in there after the racing if you can stick around for a few beers. It's a good atmosphere too.

It will be very busy on Gold Cup day. Ive been a couple of times. Try to resist having a serious bet in every race because if you are selective the big races are good earners as only 2 or 3 of the horses have a real chance.

It is not the cards you are dealt but what you do with them that counts

It was hard work getting bets on at Ascot last summer so i take from your replies, its going to be even worse, i like to see the parade ring before the races so i will proberly put a few bets on at home beforehand.

Cheers

going to cheltenham

Hi matt, when i think of cheltenham,i always think about the Irish, they have an expression "The Crack is good" although i think they spell crack different,but what ever this to me is a delightfully concise way of summing up the meeting.

Despite the crowds and other irritations every racing fan should try and go at least once because the atmosphere is incredible. enjoy your day.

There is a nice pub called The Dawn Run which is only about a 10/15 minute walk from the racecourse which is located in the town.

Just along from the pub there is a William Hill & Ladbrokes so that may be worth noting if you want to put bets on boforehand. If you're planning to have a breakfast then there is a nice cafe which is just a few shops away from the Ladbrokes betting shop (same side).

If you want to park for free then you'd better get there early (no later than 10.00/10.30) you should be able to find a space just down by the park which is just a few minutes from the course on the main road.

Hope you have a great day.

Frontrunner

A BAD DAY AT THE RACES IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAT AT WORK.

Quote Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
    Despite the crowds and other irritations every racing fan should try and go at least once because the atmosphere is incredible. enjoy your day.
    Exactly going just to experiance it, trying to do all the big meets, went to Royal Ascot last summer, next year hopefully Aintree for the National.

Quote Originally Posted by frontrunner View Post
    There is a nice pub called The Dawn Run which is only about a 10/15 minute walk from the racecourse which is located in the town.
    Always good to know

Quote Originally Posted by frontrunner View Post

If you want to park for free then you'd better get there early (no later than 10.00/10.30) you should be able to find a space just down by the park which is just a few minutes from the course on the main road.
    Getting the Train down so all sorted on that front, apparently buses run from the station to the course

:)

Quote Originally Posted by Mattw07 View Post
    Getting the Train down so all sorted on that front, apparently buses run from the station to the course
    Yep, from the main station concourse. It's all very easy to find but be prepared to queue.

And if you've never been on the train before it is quite surprising at one stage when the train pulls into a station (I forget which), stands there for a few minutes then pulls back out the way it came from. All these heads pop up from behind their copies of the Racing Post with a puzzled look on their face as if to say "Hang on, was that Cheltenham and we forgot to get off?" At least that's how I was went I went up from London a few years back.

going to cheltenham

Any one starting to get excited about cheltenham,or betting wise do you treat it the same as any other meeting ?.

I've been counting down the days since last weekend! Ooh.. not long now!!!

The Vegster!

Winner of Ada's Eurovision Game 2014

other meetings im fine, Cheltenham ive been weting my self :)

proberly should take a look at that get a girlfriend thread :(

One tip for folk who have a drink at big meetings, drink wine, you don't want to be standing in a male queue for a pee inbetween races after each pint

FREE Live Odds Comparison Software

Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Filipino UK Filipino Forum | Win2Win Racing - Free Tips

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    One tip for folk who have a drink at big meetings, drink wine, you don't want to be standing in a male queue for a pee inbetween races after each pint
    if i start drinking wine i will spend the night stood on my own face Keith thats a bad tip!!

Any one starting to get excited about cheltenham,or betting wise do you treat it the same as any other meeting ?.
    Only since yesterday have I started to get a real taste for the Festival this year but now I can't wait for it, although I'm glad it's not for a couple of days so I can continue to crunch all the form and hopefully find a few winners.

i was really looking forward to it, i had a few days holiday left at work so had the four days off, my boss broke his leg today which means i will be needing to go into work for at least 2 out of the 4 days..

still looking forward to it as i should be off for Friday

1st Experiance of Gold Cup day?

I really hope i never go again!

Experiancing the Gold Cup was brilliant, the roar and the atmosphere was something id never heard before at a racecourse, it was immense.

Yet id rather go to Royal Ascot any day.

Im not the greatest at puting my thoughts into words but i will try and explain tomorrow.

Matt.

Thread Information