Cookie Policy: This web site uses cookies. By using this site you agree to our cookie policy.
Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to the T&C. This is an information forum, and it is just that information, all views are of the individual poster and not that of the site owner. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material without the owners permission. If you copy news or articles include a link back to the original site. Threads/Posts may be deleted on request. No other links without permission.
BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION: Your question has probably been asked before, so please use the
SEARCH FUNCTION, as we grow tired of answering the same question again and again.

Thread: Betting bargument

Betting bargument

I was watching Cheltenham in the pub yesterday with a few mates, including one who had never bet on a horse off-course before and wanted some money on the Gold Cup. There's a William Hill shop across the road from the pub and the landlord is a big racing fan so he always has a stack of betting slips behind the bar so we got one of those to show this guy how to fill it in. Anyway, in the course of the discussion about him going each-way on Imperial Commander (git!) he said he wanted £2.50 each-way. Then a couple of minutes later he said in jest that he might go £3 one way and £2 the other. He didn't know what he meant by this but just liked saying that rather than having a sum each-way he could have different sums one way and another. This lead to an argument (which with beer involved becomes a bargument) as to whether a bookie will let you have different amounts on the win and place parts of an each-way bet. I seem to recall that you could have more on the win than the place but not the other way round but I got shouted down and was told by several people that the stakes had to be the same as you couldn't have a place-only bet so you just wrote "£2.50 e/w" or whatever rather than "£3 win, £2 place".

Who's right?

i have placed bets like that a few times in my local bookies always with more on the place part

Quote Originally Posted by TooTall View Post
    i have placed bets like that a few times in my local bookies always with more on the place part
    More on the place, interesting. I was sure the stakes didn't have to be equal but didn't think the place stake could exceed the win stake.

They are not supposed to accept bets with more on the place, it is in the rules. If they do by mistake they usually settle the extra at Tote place odds.

FREE Live Odds Comparison Software

Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Filipino UK Filipino Forum | Win2Win Racing - Free Tips

I'm almost certain that ewach way bets can be placed with any percentage from 50 upwards on the win part.

However, I have never done so as I never knew how you would write it on a slip, and to be honest I never saw the necessity as if I didn't want to make the most of the place part of an each way bet, I'd just do a win bet.

Also, betting online makes this impossible, and even eikipedia doesn't seem to shed any light on tis, so I'm imagining that this each way bet thing is not very well known by anbody at all anymore.

The Vegster!

Winner of Ada's Eurovision Game 2014

You can have 90/10, 80/20,50/50 etc.... but not 40/60.....

So I was right. That's good enough for me

The reason you can have more on the win is because you could simply have 10 EW and then 50 to win giving an effective 60/10 bet.

Few (if any) will take a higher stake on the place part of the bet - but it is dependent on the individual bookie; if they advertise place-only betting, then both bets would be permissable based on the above premise.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOldhamWhisper View Post
    The reason you can have more on the win is because you could simply have 10 EW and then 50 to win giving an effective 60/10 bet.
    Of course :splapme

Thanks Oldham

So, with what Oldham has said in mind, is it therefore true that you can't make place-only bets in bookmakers?

If that's common knowledge, I apologise, but I've never set foot in a bookmakers in my entire life.

Please take a look at:
    My Photostream on Flickr

You can bet Place Only but they are settled at Tote odds unless the bokkie specifically offers place odds.

Looks like i got away with it then mind you it never placed anyway

Thread Information