Cookie Policy: This web site uses cookies. By using this site you agree to our cookie policy.
Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to the T&C. This is an information forum, and it is just that information, all views are of the individual poster and not that of the site owner. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material without the owners permission. If you copy news or articles include a link back to the original site. Threads/Posts may be deleted on request. No other links without permission.
BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION: Your question has probably been asked before, so please use the
SEARCH FUNCTION, as we grow tired of answering the same question again and again.

Thread: Wonders of the Solar System

Wonders of the Solar System

The BBC never stop making incredibly beautiful programmes and this is no different. I've been keeping a close eye on this and I've just watched the latest episode, "Dead or Alive" [ep 4] on iPlayer, as I missed it earlier on this evening [Sundays, BBC 2, 9.00pm].

Brian Cox is such a personable character too, he explains things in context with a much greater level of simplicity than that of the presenters on say, Horizon, and because of this I imagine it holds more appeal to a wider audience.

I'm fascinated by astronomy as it is, so footage like this for me is goldmine viewing. I think the first episode is probably the most captivating of all so far as it discusses and challenges the great questions of the makings of the Solar System and its key elements.

I learned that each second the Sun burns 4 times the amount of energy used by the United States over an entire year! Which to be frank wasn't too surprising, but it's these kinds of comparisons that start to give an idea of the sheer size of what's out there. Episode 2 focuses mainly on Saturn and its rings, and is quite remarkable information to take in and think about.

Released on DVD, I believe on April 12th. Has anyone else been following this and if so what are your thoughts?

Please take a look at:
    My Photostream on Flickr

I've been watching them all on iPlayer. Brian Cox rox.

I just wish I was a few years younger so could have gone to Manchester Uni to study physics when he was a professor there, not when he was a pop star

A great programme, John, all very interesting. One thing I can't get my head around, as you say the sun burns up an enormous amount of energy and has done for thousands of years so how does it replenish the helium/ hydrogen it uses up? Must fizzle out sometime surely.

Be a cold day in Hell when it does.

Quote Originally Posted by tovarich View Post
    the sun burns up an enormous amount of energy and has done for thousands of years so how does it replenish the helium/ hydrogen it uses up? Must fizzle out sometime surely.
    Exactly. There's no replenishment, it's just using it up steadily and one day will run out. We'll all be long dead by then though.

In that case I hope I don't go to Hell!

Nice one I'm pleased there is interest! I've been iPlaying them too. The one about Saturn's rings was pretty breathtaking actually. And last night's was interesting because they were discussing how, previously, it was thought Jupiter was our protection, which it still is but now it's been recognised that because of its sheer size, mass and gravity it can throw asteroids and debris off course on a collision with Earth. I found it fascinating when they showed photographs being compared and they were tracking changes across each one. Amazing stuff. Also fascinating was learning a bit about Jupiter's [and Saturn's, previously] moons and not just the planet itself.

Please take a look at:
    My Photostream on Flickr

One day it'' go BOOM ..... form a gas cloud that mixes with other blown up stars.... collapse ... form a star & planets .... life evolves ... we have a world full of Gordon Brown clones .. (or maybe clowns )...

FREE Live Odds Comparison Software

Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Filipino UK Filipino Forum | Win2Win Racing - Free Tips

I started watching this last night on series catch up on iPlayer. I have to admit I am not intelligent enough to understand it all-physics involves too much maths for me... but found it a fascinating programme and I am looking forward to watching the rest of the series. I thought you had to be at least 60 to be a professor too! :wink

"Listen to me. I can just about handle you, driving like a pissed-up crackhead and treating women like beanbags, but I’m going to say this once and once only, Gene: stay out of Camberwick Green!"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_cIbBTkn70&feature=related

Quote Originally Posted by scoobydoo View Post
    I started watching this last night on series catch up on iPlayer. I have to admit I am not intelligent enough to understand it all-physics involves too much maths for me... but found it a fascinating programme and I am looking forward to watching the rest of the series. I thought you had to be at least 60 to be a professor too! :wink
    I don't understand the half of it either Scooby, I just watch it and enjoy.

For those who wouldn't be seen dead reading the Daily Mail, let me tell you that they gave a full page biog on Wed of Professor Brian Cox, who looks about age 17 but is in fact 42. H e says that when he was 6, he collected astronomy cards, sticking them in a book, and going to Manchester Airport on Sundays to do some plane spotting, he thinks he was very,very,very nerdy. When he was 15 his sister took him to a Duran Duran concert and it all changed, he wanted to be a pop star so he taught himself to play keyboard and joined a local (Oldham) band called DARE (like Bon Jovi with massive hair )and managed a grade D in Maths A-level.

DARE made two albums and toured constantly until one night in Berlin "tired, emotional and thoroughly pissed" The group had a ding dong punch up then split up. So he came home and started a Physics Degree course at Manchester Uni. He was 23. He went on to gain a first class Honours degreeand stayed on to pursue a PhD. In 1993 he joined D:ream (who sang Labour's 1997 election anthem "Things Can Only Get Better" ) by accident- he was filling in for some else - and appeared on Top of the Pops in a dodgy tartan suit with enormous hair. Eventually gave up on pop to concentrate on his studies. One of the last times he played with D:ream was at Labour's Election night party at the Royal Festival Hall.

Apart from his TV work ( a second series starts filming in June)there's his day job at Manchester University professoring, Publicising his book "Why does E= mc2?" and babysitting his 10 month-old son George. He was voted No. 70 in People Magazines 100 sexy men of the year -- one place behind Prince Harry. He says that what excites him most is planespotting and bus spotting.

I think in the wrong hands, this guy could be dangerous. :D

For those who wouldn't be seen dead reading the Daily Mail, let me tell you that they gave a full page biog on Wed of Professor Brian Cox
    And everything they had to say is documented on Wikipedia (amongst other places) so there is no need to lower yourself to reading that rag if you don't want to :wink

Trust the Daily Mail to get it wrong as per usual... Dare have never split up, they are still recording and touring, as I should know having seen them a handful of times over the last 25 years.. they were dropped by their record company after the second album because of poor sales, but got another deal and have now released 6 albums and a live DVD..

My keyboard's running out of ink....

Quote Originally Posted by mathare View Post
    And everything they had to say is documented on Wikipedia (amongst other places) so there is no need to lower yourself to reading that rag if you don't want to :wink
    Wow! On Wikipedia is it, now I never thought of that.

(What is Wikipedia?) :)

(What is Wikipedia?) :)
    It's the future :D

The Vegster!

Winner of Ada's Eurovision Game 2014

Quote Originally Posted by vegyjones View Post
    The future looks grim. :)

Quote Originally Posted by vegyjones View Post
    Google just gave them £2M to help with server costs