Cookie Policy: This web site uses cookies. By using this site you agree to our cookie policy.
Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to the T&C. This is an information forum, and it is just that information, all views are of the individual poster and not that of the site owner. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material without the owners permission. If you copy news or articles include a link back to the original site. Threads/Posts may be deleted on request. No other links without permission.
BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION: Your question has probably been asked before, so please use the
SEARCH FUNCTION, as we grow tired of answering the same question again and again.

Thread: Old school

Old school

Things appear a bit quiet on the forum racing wise at present,it is possible that many members are having a hard time of it so far this year,and that can take away the incentive to post on betting matters.

Yesterday a member made reference to old school,and how online betting and the exchanges have changed the face of horse race betting.So i have started this thread in the hope that older members may feel able to reminisce,about thier betting experiences from years ago,and hopefully this will be of interest to all ages.

One art form that younger members may have missed out on is the Board Boy,strange terminology because usally this job was done by a person in thier 50s or older. I remember the days when all results and betting shows where put up with chalk,and in some cases they could be considered a work of art,which should never have been wiped away at the end of the day.

I recall being on a boating holiday on the Norfolk Broads stopping at a small village and while the others went to the pub i went in the bookies the board boy here must have been 70 but his work was a joy to watch multi coloured chalks where used to display results betting and NR,with incredible precision and neatness,multi tasking before the phrase was invented.It was almost a pleasure to lose.

So that is one old school memory hope other members will share thiers.

Old school..... Jeez, you mean like spending hours going through form manually, getting through a racecard in about 2hrs if your lucky, and then driving round bookies to get the best prices

I do more now in 5 minutes than I ever could manage in a day back in the 80's.

FREE Live Odds Comparison Software

Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Filipino UK Filipino Forum | Win2Win Racing - Free Tips

Don't you miss the camaraderie ,of the betting shop the characters,the atmosphere, i agree there are practical advantages in working on line,but all the forementioned is missing.

Quote Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
    Don't you miss the camaraderie ,of the betting shop the characters,the atmosphere, i agree there are practical advantages in working on line,but all the forementioned is missing.
    The smell of smoke....drunks .... idiots who think they know it all, but know nothing.... nope .... it you want that use the Betfair forums :D

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    The smell of smoke....drunks .... idiots who think they know it all, but know nothing
    Yes sometimes you had to put up with the above,but there was also plenty of entertainment via the many characters.

Quote Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
    it is possible that many members are having a hard time of it so far this year,and that can take away the incentive to post on betting matters.
    From October to the end of January I was struggling to maintain the banks, but since January I have profited enough to pay for three cruises:D,

The minute you start talking about what you're going to do if you lose, you have lost.
    Got to update this when I have time please be patient ,thank you ,Open Forum...Total Lays......?Total Backs....?Hidden Forum Total Backs....?Total Lays......?

Quote Originally Posted by plater View Post
    .....I have profited enough to pay for three cruises:D,
    See you on the Mersey ferry then

The minute you start talking about what you're going to do if you lose, you have lost.
    Got to update this when I have time please be patient ,thank you ,Open Forum...Total Lays......?Total Backs....?Hidden Forum Total Backs....?Total Lays......?

Frontrunner

A BAD DAY AT THE RACES IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAT AT WORK.

Quote Originally Posted by frontrunner View Post

Frontrunner
    Is that computer enhanced :)

Yes it is :wink

Frontrunner

A BAD DAY AT THE RACES IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAT AT WORK.

Please take a look at:
    My Photostream on Flickr

Thread Information