Cookie Policy: This web site uses cookies. By using this site you agree to our cookie policy.
Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to the T&C. This is an information forum, and it is just that information, all views are of the individual poster and not that of the site owner. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material without the owners permission. If you copy news or articles include a link back to the original site. Threads/Posts may be deleted on request. No other links without permission.
BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION: Your question has probably been asked before, so please use the
SEARCH FUNCTION, as we grow tired of answering the same question again and again.

Thread: Fishing

Fishing

Perhaps not so off topic as they bet on the big matches.I love course fishing and need a distraction from the racing at present!.Any other members likewise is it worth a thread?.

I used to go with my father a lot until he died but never really felt like going since as it was always the one thing we did together...:(

“One hundred years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, how big my house was, or what kind of car I drove. But the world may be a little better, because I was important in the life of a child.”

-Forest Witcraft

Used to do a lot of seas fishing but my health screwed it up, started with coarse fishing but found it boring once I'd tried sea fishing.

FREE Live Odds Comparison Software

Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Filipino UK Filipino Forum | Win2Win Racing - Free Tips

fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Chris View Post
    I used to go with my father a lot until he died but never really felt like going since as it was always the one thing we did together...:(
    Hi chris a mate of mine had exactly the same experiance and feelings,then about two years on he started again,and now cannot get enough,he says that when he is at the lake he feels his dad is with him,and its a good feeling.

Because it was something you and your father enjoyed,your father would want you to continue that enjoyment.Just a thought hope it helps.

I was out one day and got a great looking fly rod and reel for my wife,

Best trade I ever made...

The Vegster!

Winner of Ada's Eurovision Game 2014

fishing

My fishing mates call me Dark Pole!,because i like pole fishing and they say that because i catch more than them,i must be using the dark side of the force.Wish i could apply the same to betting!.
    But apart from the battle of wits with the fish,there is constant wind ups and laughter,fresh air and lovley countryside.A good combination.

Quote Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
    My fishing mates call me Dark Pole!,.
    I think maybe you need to clean your erm.. rod a bit more often Mick

My keyboard's running out of ink....

lowe1 is offline Win2Win Racing Club Member

I like fishing :D:D:D

Tend to do a bit of both , normally set one carp rod up and a waggler set up as well when i go , like to go Lymm Damm near warrington which is a good lake to sit by on a summers day

fishing

Quote Originally Posted by bigcumba View Post
    I think maybe you need to clean your erm.. rod a bit more often Mick
    Boots are dirty,rod is clean.:)

fishing

Hi lowe1 I fish match style, pole, waggler,method feeder,my mates are mostly carpies,i am often surrounded by buzzers,and strange people dressed in camo.You can imagine the windups.

I have started to try and write a book entitled IN THE COMPANY OF CARPIES,it will contain some hilarious episode's but the funniest thing is that they are all true.

Quote Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
    Hi chris a mate of mine had exactly the same experiance and feelings,then about two years on he started again,and now cannot get enough,he says that when he is at the lake he feels his dad is with him,and its a good feeling.

Because it was something you and your father enjoyed,your father would want you to continue that enjoyment.Just a thought hope it helps.
    Possibly Mick, my son is 10 next month but loves his football and is very active so I don't know if I could keep him still and quiet for long enough...

All the old gear is still in my dads' shed so it is still a possibility...:)

“One hundred years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, how big my house was, or what kind of car I drove. But the world may be a little better, because I was important in the life of a child.”

-Forest Witcraft

fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Chris View Post
    Possibly Mick, my son is 10 next month but loves his football and is very active so I don't know if I could keep him still and quiet for long enough...

All the old gear is still in my dads' shed so it is still a possibility...:)
    chris i think fishing is a great sport for children to get involved with,if you take him to a prolific water where he is bound to catch a few first time,he might get the bug,and that's another thing which would probably please your dad.

i love fishing but due to my hands being knackered i mainly do feeder fishing now because i can make the rigs up the night before, tried the waggler yesterday but it took me half an hour to thread the rings and tie a hook on, had 3 hours tiddler bashing for a bit of fun though about 40 roach up to 4oz.

I have an impressive bank of knowledge and experience. Unfortunately, I've lost the combination to this bank.

Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    had 3 hours tiddler bashing for a bit of fun
    Doesn't that give you a sore wrist?

fishing

Hi piggy no what you mean about threading line through tiny rod rings,i take made up rods now,its great.But the other thing you could try is a line threader,only costs £1 its like a big darning needle,and really speeds up the processe.

I was a late convert to feeder fishing but now like it , we seem to get so much wind in recent years that sometimes its the best method anyway.

Being a Scot, I only ever did trout fishing, mainly at the local reservoir (Hillend loch), and the nearby Lily loch, my dad and grandad were founder members of the Airdrie Angling club back in 1949.. my dad is 74 now but still fishes there twice a week.. we also paid regular visits to the river Tay from Kenmore to Aberfeldy and a few miles down from there.. got a lot of very fond memories of holidays and days out up there.. also fished the Lyon, the Isla and Ericht, the Tummel.. did some pike fishing on Loch Tummel.. caught the biggest fish of everyone on the bus that day! Good memories also of winter pike fishing on the Forth and Clyde canal, near Kilsyth.. most unusual fish I caught was a Char in Loch Tay, lovely reddish coloured fish.. good times. Gave it all up though when I started playing golf.. and gave that up too when I moved down south!

HI BC,i have never tried fly fishing,but one of the most exciting methods i find is surface fishing for carp in the summer,and some anglers have had a lot of success by using a fly rod and casting techniques to plop a dog biscuit in front of a cruising carp.

Actually Mick, when I was a youngster my dad never trusted me with proper fly fishing, so it was the bubble and fly for me.. or a weighted worm.. or a spinner - my dad was a metal worker, so he made his own spinning lures, and he's been an amazing fly tier for years, until a couple of years ago he used to take a class for the club members during the close season. Just thinking back to those days, I remember once catching 2 trout on the same line when I was only 6 - one on each fly.. and fishing after dark one night, my uncle cast out.. didn't hear the familiar 'plop' but still felt a tug on the line.. he'd hooked a bat in mid air!

Hi BC i think that's one of the nice aspects to fishing,making some of your own gear,i no its all available in the shops but there is a lot of satisfaction in catching with a float you have made yourself.

Regarding the Bat,i had simular with a duck was using a surface bait and could see a big carp swimming towards it and from the other direction a duck.The duck got there first,i managed to get it in and unhook it,but it then jumped up the bank and broke the tip of my rod.I am not a fan of ducks.

Yeah indeed Mick, definitely some satisfaction when something you made yourself works.. my dad also built his own rods.. from the old cane fly rods, to the fibre glass ones.. he'd buy the blanks and work on them for hours.. and they were good. The duck... you should have whacked it on the head and took it home for dinner!

Thread Information