Cookie Policy: This web site uses cookies. By using this site you agree to our cookie policy.
Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to the T&C. This is an information forum, and it is just that information, all views are of the individual poster and not that of the site owner. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material without the owners permission. If you copy news or articles include a link back to the original site. Threads/Posts may be deleted on request. No other links without permission.
BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION: Your question has probably been asked before, so please use the
SEARCH FUNCTION, as we grow tired of answering the same question again and again.

Thread: books

books

I think there is nothing finer than being able to recommend a book in the hope that the person will get the same amount of enjoyment as you did.

Frequently when i do this,the response is"i would love to read more but do not have the time".I have just read published figs for the first quarter,which show people spent an avg 4hrs per day watching TV.

I have no problem with that,spend your leisure time as you will,but if you do not do so at present,i would recommend sacrificing some of your TV time for reading,you may come to consider this time well spent.

With so much in our country that needs fixing,one of the things that politicians have got right is our Libraries,they are IMO something to be proud of and should be payed a visit by all.

Couldn't agree more there Mick.. I can't understand anyone not enjoying reading.. I've always got a book on the go.. at one point was in something mad like 7 or 8 book clubs, so I ended up with hundreds of great books.. many still to be read! I now own an e-book reader as well which thanks to the internet I've stocked up with loads of goodies.. currently plowing through Stephen King's Dark Tower series.. I'd read the first two twenty odd years ago and never followed up the rest, so I've had to start at the beginning again, now around a third of the way through book 3 of 7... and they get bigger as the series progresses.. but thoroughly enjoying them.

My keyboard's running out of ink....

books

Quote Originally Posted by bigcumba View Post
    I'd read the first two twenty odd years ago and never followed up the rest, so I've had to start at the beginning again, now around a third of the way through book 3 of 7... and they get bigger as the series progresses.. but thoroughly enjoying them.
    hi the same thing happening for myself at present with the Flashman books,its great.

I now own an e-book reader .
    I have to say that I haven't warmed to those e-book readers?

I am a traditionalist and prefer to feel the book and the pages between my fingers.

But I suppose I should embrace technology and try one. Do you like it BigC? Is it the future?

The Vegster!

Winner of Ada's Eurovision Game 2014

I certainly think they're great Vegy.. it's a lot easier to carry one ebook reader with a couple of hundred books than it is to carry the real thing! You soon get used to the screen as well, as the contrast on it is about the same as on paper.. it all works very well. Plus when you have sources of free books.. :wink instead of paying the inflated prices the likes of Waterstones charge for the ebook versions.. they can read PDF files, text files, Word docs.. and you can get free software to convert from other formats to whatever reader you use. I wouldn't part with mine at all now!

My keyboard's running out of ink....

I certainly think they're great Vegy.. it's a lot easier to carry one ebook reader with a couple of hundred books than it is to carry the real thing! You soon get used to the screen as well, as the contrast on it is about the same as on paper.. it all works very well. Plus when you have sources of free books.. :wink instead of paying the inflated prices the likes of Waterstones charge for the ebook versions.. they can read PDF files, text files, Word docs.. and you can get free software to convert from other formats to whatever reader you use. I wouldn't part with mine at all now!
    I have an eBook Reader as well (the same one as BigC if I remember rightly), and I totally agree with BigC's comments above, apart from the fact it has no built-in back-light, so I find it a little difficult to read in lowish lit environments, where with a conventional book I'd have no problems (my eyes aren't much good anymore). However, this is easily overcome by buying the leather cover for the eBook which has a built-in adjustable light, so you can literally read it anywhere and in any or even no-light conditions.

Definitely recommended, but I think these devices will evolve quite rapidly and incorporate all sorts of gadgetry & capabilities over a short space of time, so picking the right time to buy one is probably the hardest decision to make.

Thread Information