Cookie Policy: This web site uses cookies. By using this site you agree to our cookie policy.
Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to the T&C. This is an information forum, and it is just that information, all views are of the individual poster and not that of the site owner. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material without the owners permission. If you copy news or articles include a link back to the original site. Threads/Posts may be deleted on request. No other links without permission.
BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION: Your question has probably been asked before, so please use the
SEARCH FUNCTION, as we grow tired of answering the same question again and again.

Thread: Mobile Phones - SIM Only

Mobile Phones - SIM Only

Hello,

Can someone please explain to me what is meant by SIM Only? I can get an iPhone with Orange on a SIM Only contract with 600 minutes and unlimited texts, all for £25 per month ( http://shop.orange.co.uk/iphone/choose-sim-only-plan ). What's the catch? I know it means you're not tied to a contract, which I imagine is both an advantage and a disadvantage.

Anything I should be aware of? Seems like a great deal and if it's that good then why isn't everyone doing it?

I'm currently with o2 and I don't think they do the iPhone on SIM Only so it'd mean switching. I'm not fussed by the iPhone, because normally you're paying £35 per month for very little call time, like 100 minutes. It isn't value for money. And I'm at a computer all day at work with internet access at home so I question the usage I'd get out of one if I were to get one. But at £25 per month with 600 minutes, I have to consider it.

Anyway, tangent. I'm confused by SIM Only.

Please take a look at:
    My Photostream on Flickr

I thought SIM only meant you only got the SIM, no handset so presumably that iPhone SIM only plan is only any good for those who got an iPhone when they were exclusive to O2 but now want to change networks without changing handset or anyone who bought an unlocked iPhone handset and now wants to be on Orange

lowe1 is offline Win2Win Racing Club Member

As far as i can gather your right Matt

" What is SIM only?
    SIM only allows you to join a network simply by changing your SIM card rather than changing your phone. On Tesco Mobile you can choose SIM only on Pay as you go or Pay monthly.

Mat is correct, it is only the sim so they expect you have an iPhone already. This is why they are giving you 600 minutes a month. Also from what I have seen, you are not hooked into a long term contract either, a lot of sim only deals are for minimum of 30 days commitment.

"Listen to me. I can just about handle you, driving like a pissed-up crackhead and treating women like beanbags, but I’m going to say this once and once only, Gene: stay out of Camberwick Green!"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_cIbBTkn70&feature=related

Hmmmm. Okay. Thanks. So it's not really worth it, since an iPhone brand new would set me back £180 at least, and then I'd be paying £25 per month for the SIM only deal. Hence why it's tailor made for those people who already own iPhones. I guess if I could somehow get an iPhone free it'd be worth it!

Please take a look at:
    My Photostream on Flickr

Thread Information