Cookie Policy: This web site uses cookies. By using this site you agree to our cookie policy.
Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to the T&C. This is an information forum, and it is just that information, all views are of the individual poster and not that of the site owner. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material without the owners permission. If you copy news or articles include a link back to the original site. Threads/Posts may be deleted on request. No other links without permission.
BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION: Your question has probably been asked before, so please use the
SEARCH FUNCTION, as we grow tired of answering the same question again and again.

Thread: Emergency Budget

Emergency Budget

So what do you all think about it now you've have time to figure what's in it?

I can't argue with the benefit cuts, although he should have gone further as he's only taken the money of those who already get paid a decent wad rather than those at the bottom of the ladder who use it as a lifestyle choice.

All the 'child' benefits should go. If you can't afford to have a baby you don't have one, it's that simple. If you want more money, educate yourself, and improve you own real world value. If you do end up having a baby then as with the majority of other countries on the planet, your FAMILY supports you, not the tax payer.

Corporation Tax coming down.... bit of a shock that one, but I'm not complaining.

VAT to 20%. No shock with that, regardless of what Labour say now they would have had to put it up anyway. Besides, when it dropped 2.5% no one noticed, so when it goes up 20% it'll be pretty much the same, the only thing we'll really notice it on is petrol and high end items, but if you can afford them then an extra 2.5% is squat.

FREE Live Odds Comparison Software

Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Filipino UK Filipino Forum | Win2Win Racing - Free Tips

Well having had my pay frozen for the next 2 years in the NHS, I can only bow down and thank them for not shafting me more.. but let them remember this.. next time I see a stuck up snooty tory in hospital, I think I'll be 2% less careful about how I deal with them year on year... seems they forget just what we do, save their pitiable god damn lives. Ha. And in case anyone suggests these folk have private healthcare.. those same 'private' blood samples, come to an NHS lab to be processed, just the same as anyone elses.. you get what you pay for? Not in this case..

My keyboard's running out of ink....

You get paid too much anyway.... you just waste it on those noisy concerts that damage your ears :D

FREE Live Odds Comparison Software

Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Filipino UK Filipino Forum | Win2Win Racing - Free Tips

I think its a pretty good budget, for all those that complain about having a pay freeze it should be a welcome to the real world- I havn't had a pay rise for over 5 years and I'm sure that many other people in the private sector have not had any significant pay rises for a while as well.

As for benefits, Its a balancing act but I still don't think that it will readdress the balance that a lot of people will remain better off without working. It really annoys me when there are so many people claiming more in benefits that what I earn, and then they have the cheek to moan about how bad off they are. So in the most part I agree with Keith regarding benefits and not having children that you can't pay for.

Of course I'm glad that there is no tax on gambling because that would put a big hurdle infront of my goal of one day of becoming a professional gambler.

Quote Originally Posted by barrelmaniac View Post
    I think its a pretty good budget, for all those that complain about having a pay freeze it should be a welcome to the real world- I havn't had a pay rise for over 5 years and I'm sure that many other people in the private sector have not had any significant pay rises for a while as well..
    My welcome to the real world was the 18 years of the last Tory government where they shafted us in the NHS on pay and conditions year after year. And now that we've actually gained a bit of parity, it's all set to happen again. Nice to be made feel saving lives is a valued occupation. And they wonder why morale plummets.

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    You get paid too much anyway.... you just waste it on those noisy concerts that damage your ears :D
    That's scientific research to see how the amount of beer drunk affects the ability to tell when you're too close to the speakers.. it's ongoing research.

One point in this budget seems to be the decimation of the public sector. It means tens of thousands of jobs lost. We all seem to agree that public services can't go on as it is but wouldn't it be much better to do a return on investment exercise so that all public sector workers are giving valeu for money and notjust swanning around doing FA.
    Remember that putting thousands more on the dole will save the gov. payibg their salaries but all these people will then be entitled to benefits. These will include mortgage relief, housing benefit, council tax benefit and free prescriptions etc. and take into account all the revenue from income tax and national insurance payments. Then think about the less money that comes into the economy because these poor sods don't have the money to spend and the knock on effect to business of lost sales leading to more redundancies and then we go through the same routine again.
    Where's the bloody sense in all that I ask.

Actually I found it's not as easy as one might think to get benefits such as mortgage relied, council tax benefit, free prescriptions etc. To get that lot you need to be claiming income-based benefits rather than just contributory benefits, which means your partner needs to be earning under a set figure and you need to have little in the way of savings.

I haven't had a pay rise in 5 years - working for a charity sometimes has its drawbacks.

I'm just a little bit peeved that the 'ring-fencing' afforded to foreign aid has not been extended to the Third Sector in this country.

Citizens Advice (the national organisation) has been told that they will be getting 11.6% less this year - this will mean that support services to individual CABx will be significantly reduced or bureaux will be asked to pay extra for the same services. With most bureaux already reeling from 3 years (or more) with no increase in funding and the likelyhood of around 6% cut in funding (as a minimum figure) there are bound to be some tough decisions to be made.

As with all services (in all sectors) there are savings that can be made but in many cases (especially in the Third Sector) many savings are a false economy. Investment in technology and equipment would mean far greater efficiency, producing greater outcomes in the long run.

Thread Information