Cookie Policy: This web site uses cookies. By using this site you agree to our cookie policy.
Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to the T&C. This is an information forum, and it is just that information, all views are of the individual poster and not that of the site owner. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material without the owners permission. If you copy news or articles include a link back to the original site. Threads/Posts may be deleted on request. No other links without permission.
BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION: Your question has probably been asked before, so please use the
SEARCH FUNCTION, as we grow tired of answering the same question again and again.

Thread: 2010

So how is everyone doing this year?

Well my year has not been a good one and has put me right back to were I was 14 months ago, however there are signs of things picking up. My new systems have been the main culprits but Im hoping that they have bottomed out with hopefully the likelyhood of them making a nice rebound soon.

How have you all done?

Since I joined this forum back in 2002, my horse racing betting has been profitable (in varying degrees) every year EXCEPT 2002 ( I was new to the game & had a lot to learn) and 2007. I remember having a spectacular start to 2005 but my profit was nearly totally eaten away with a very poor last 4 months to the year.
    Each year to me now seem to follow the same trends......I do well from mid January up until the Cheltenham Festival.....then things go downhill 'til the end of June when things pick up again. I then tend to build up a reasonable bank until the end of September, when things turn sour again, with the last 3 months of the year usually eating away at the profits again. This year is no exception......I'm doing quite well at the mo, but I'm pretty sure my luck will start to turn in the next 4-5 weeks or so, and will start losing again in the run up to Christmas.

I have started to concentrate much more on football betting over the last 18 months, and (so far) it's turning out to be a nice little earner.......building up the bank slowly but surely.

To summarise.....I'm hoping this year will turn out to be one of my better years profit-wise especially if the footie bets carry on bringing in a return as they are at the moment.

would anyone else care to give some input on how their 2010 is going? After all trying to make money is the main reason why most of us are here doing what we are doing.

I was muddling along for a while with mild profits in all months to date except June which was a terrible month. Things started slowly overall but have picked up as the year has gone on. That may be because I have trimmed some of the dead wood from my portfolio and hold monthly reviews at the end of each month during which I check the performance over the past few months of everything in my portfolio and drop those that are not delivering.

At the end of August I started a terrible run where nothing was going right. I had an 8-day spell where I dropped around two months profit with six of those days coming out as really big losers. Things picked up very briefly before going right off the rails again and I was having a miserable September. Then all of a sudden the sun came out (metaphorically) and things have got significantly better, to the point where I will be delighted to make a small profit this month - something that looked nigh on impossible a week or so ago. It didn't help that while I was on holiday I missed a 50/1 winner that went off at a ridiculously massive price on Betfair, over 200 I think it was. That really didn't help my mood at that point.

But I read a book when I was on holiday that really changed my outlook on certain things. Patrick Veitch's Enemy Number One. It didn't teach me how to pick winners or anything like that but it made me appreciate that the only way to make decent money is to risk decent money. Even the best of us enjoy a small edge so I decided to review my whole portfolio and to look at those systems and services that are performing best and press my stakes on those somewhat. I have been careful not to overstretch myself but I have upped my stakes in various areas to take advantage of systems with a greater edge. And it's paying off at the minute as I am starting to rake in some real cash. It's still very early days and a prolonged losing run at these stakes is going to be a mental tester but at least I have cash in the bank from a good start at these higher stakes.

My own football systems are proving to be a bit of a mixed bunch at the minute and have suffered a pretty poor September overall but there is plenty of time this season for them to come good again. And I have finally had a few ideas about a software development project I had been considering for a while now and am starting to make slow but steady progress on that, which is keeping me off the poker tables where my results in the last few months have been utterly dreadful so anything that keeps me away from them is very welcome.

Have you hit the rebound on your systems yet BM?

Laf is offline Win2Win Racing Club Member

I didn't do much betting for the first 4 months of the year, a fun bet every now and again was all. Started back doing systems at the start of May and it was a decent month. June, July and August were all losing months. July did a lot of damage. I did a bit of an overhaul of my portfolio mid August by dropping a number of systems, adding a couple of others and made changes to my staking. September has been very good so things seem to be trending the right way. Overall I'm still in the red but looking a lot better than 2 months ago.

Ħuʍop ǝpısdn sı pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʎɯ

Well as yet no major breakthrough although I have had a half decent month to bring me into the black with a small safety margin so I definatley still see potential with my systems, the systems that were in freefall are now stable for the moment, things are still very much touch and go but I have the bank and sensible staking to see it through for a while longer, I am not losing money but still waiting for that good month to come along and kick start things, this month has seem me turn a profit with a very much lower than expected strikerate so hopefully October could see the correction that I am looking for.

Thread Information