Cookie Policy: This web site uses cookies. By using this site you agree to our cookie policy.
Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to the T&C. This is an information forum, and it is just that information, all views are of the individual poster and not that of the site owner. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material without the owners permission. If you copy news or articles include a link back to the original site. Threads/Posts may be deleted on request. No other links without permission.
BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION: Your question has probably been asked before, so please use the
SEARCH FUNCTION, as we grow tired of answering the same question again and again.

Thread: I need a new sofa - Any recommendations?

I need a new sofa - Any recommendations?

Hi all,
    I'm in desperate need of a new sofa, but am dithering because I'm not sure who to approach.
    The last sofa I bought took the company just over 4 months to deliver from the time my order was confirmed which meant spending a Christmas and New Year sitting on what can be best described as a deck chair......and once it WAS delivered I had 3 different complaints with it, including different shade of cushion colours, the wooden frame creaked when you sat at one end, and if you sat at the other end you were sitting higher up than anyone sitting next to you. It took a further 6 months to get these problems rectified, which after a fight resulted in a replacement, which I must admit has finally given up on me after 16 years.
    Hence you can probably understand why I am a little reluctant to jump straight in again when buying another one.

The company I bought the above from has long since gone bust, but I'm wondering if any of you can recommend (or not) the companies we see advertising almost permanently on TV like SCS, Harveys, DFS, Furnitureland et al. I would also consider smaller independent outlets if they were local (South London) and the price reasonably comparative.

I used Argos for my last one, got it within 3 days. But it depends on whether you want to sit on it or not, then you'd have to use the High Street.

FREE Live Odds Comparison Software

Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Filipino UK Filipino Forum | Win2Win Racing - Free Tips

I used Argos for our last two sofas actually. As Keith says you don't have the "try before you buy" option but we knew the style we wanted and it was only the colour we weren't 100% on and Argos had/has a good returns policy so we took a chance. It's worked out very well though and I'd use them again.

We looked round DFS, Harveys etc last time but the styles were all wrong for what we wanted. None of them stocked the sort of sofa we were after so I can't really comment on their service etc

Damn .... I'll have to get a new sofa now seems I have a 'common' one

I had this dilemma about 18 months ago.

In my research I discovered that DFS are OK when it all goes right but if it goes wrong then getting it sorted out is a nightmare as their customer service is a bit naff.

Argos on the other hand have great customer service but I found their sofas disappointing . I went to Homebase (which is Argos) to try some out, but they all looked on the small size, 3 seater's looked more like 2.5 seater's and 2 seater's 1.75 seater's

After a week I couldn't really find a firm or sofa that had any strong recommendations.

I then found Ikea who I hadn't even considered. Their Ektorp sofa was well liked in America, Europe and Australia. I went to my local Southampton store for a look and Ikea positively encourage you to sit, lay and jump about on their furniture to get a feel for it. Even though I looked at their other sofas I was impressed enough to go home and order one of the Ektorps plus a chair. The Ektorp is big, inexpensive (£269 for the white one) and comfortable. All the covers come off for washing and the material covering the frame is waterproof.

I had a problem with mine, it creaked but customer service was first class and it was exchanged within a week.

Of course you still have to like the style as it has a sort of comfortable lived in look about, shabby chic I think is the correct expression.
    http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/S39875849

I better add a disclaimer that I do not actually work for Ikea, just a relief to find after a week research something that worked for me.

last year bought 2 new sofas from SCS were cream leather a 3 seat and a 2 seat £1650. Discount for cash purchase £1250 and free delivery cant fault em. You must bargain if you are paying up front it's amazing what they will drop

‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’

Sofa so good

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Sofa so good

A spanking good reply. I'll sit on it for a while.

Thread Information