PDA

View Full Version : Spread Betting to Hedge

Bin57again
24th March 2004, 14:47
Can anybody help me with something please?
Is there a way of using spread betting to successfully hedge on a sporting event? For example, money can be made on BF by backing "No Goal" on the next goal market and watching the odds plummet from say 12-20 (depending obviously on the game) to perhaps 5 or 6 by half time. To give a concrete example, the Barcelona v Sociedad game offered 20 at one point just before the start of the match on there being no goal. Barcelona scored in the last minute but a sensible lay even half way through the first half would have provided a 30% profit. Of course, the downside is you could lose the lot in the event of an early goal. So...is there a PROFITABLE way to hedge on spread betting on the first goal market?
Any help greatly appreciated.

Bowser
29th March 2004, 13:51
There are indeed numerous opertunities to hedge / arb in the spread betting arena. I have had a fairly good 12 months with on-line trading, but have now been restricted, by three of the five accounts I hold, to 'phone trading' only. This method slows things right down and allows the dealer to double-check any gaps in the markets which offer arb opportunities. The essence of successful trading is in speed of uptake and anonimity. If you need any more info, post back and I will gladly advise.

cheers,
B

Bin57again
29th March 2004, 16:50
Bowser
Thanks for your reply. I do arbs myself so I know a bit about that area (although my 3-5% makes me peanuts in comparison since I don't have a large bank).
The issue is really whether you can use a spread market to offset a loss you might have on a fixed or semi-fixed odds/betting exchange market.
I gave the example of first/next goal in my last post. Another example would be in golf or tennis or snooker. In golf for example, I had a lot riding on Adam Scott this w/e but things looked ok until the final day when it was clear someone from the field could spoil the party. Harrington was a clear threat and so it proved. A mate told me that I should have spread on Harrington to hedge my funds on Scott. I didn't and I got lucky. Call me boring but I don't do lucky. I do profit. This time I got away with it but next time I could get stung.
Any ideas would be much appreciated.
I couldn't send you a PM - I don't think I have the necessary privilege.

benoo5
29th March 2004, 23:26
bin57...if you click on bowsers name...a box comes down,allowing you to send a private message....ben.

Bin57again
31st March 2004, 09:31
Thanks Benoo but it seems I don't have the requisite privileges (whatever that means). I'll speak with admin. Cheers.

bigcumba
31st March 2004, 09:45
Sorry guys, but the private messaging function is only available to full members of the Win2Win racing club - it was disabled for non members previously as it was being abused by a small minority who were using it to promote their own 'pay' sites.