PDA

View Full Version : Jack Johnson

John
7th May 2004, 03:05
Very similar to Jamie Cullum in terms of jazzness, only he plays with an acoustic guitar instead of piano, and is more experimental with his instrument in my opinion. I'm going out tomorrow to buy his latest album "On and Off" after hearing a few tracks earlier.

At the moment my favourite tracks are "Taylor" , "Cookie Jar" , "Traffic In The Sky" , "Flake" ..... the list goes on, too many to mention and they're all really really good songs.

Music you can relax to, similar to Counting Crows in some ways, quite bluesy and jazzy with very distinct vocals. He's done a few songs with Ben Harper so it's worth giving him a mention too, also very talented, although different from Jack.

He isn't very well known, so I guess it makes him that bit more special.

Buy Buy Buy!

Here's a link to a (bad quality) preview of all the tracks on his latest album:
http://www2.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=281;1;-1;-1&sku=61179

bigcumba
7th May 2004, 07:09
Had a listen to some of those samples, sounds pretty good, a bit more laid back than the likes of Jamie Cullum, still worth a listen. Might try and download it first to get a better listen before I buy - nice one John!

John
7th May 2004, 16:03
Excellent! :) Some of those demos really don't reflect the highlights of the song... for instance Taylor has a really upbeat and bouncey intro riff that they don't show!

Happy listening mate. :)

bigcumba
7th May 2004, 16:11
Just downloaded a couple of 'different' albums - one by a band calling themselves Beatallica - they've done around 20 Beatles songs in the style of Metallica and with slightly different titles. The other is another Beatles tribute, except this one os by Bugs Bunny, Daffy, Taz and all the other Warner Brothers crew - the snippets I've listened to are pretty funny! I've also got a Bluegrass country version of Pink Floyd's The Wall - not checked it out yet but I'm sure it'll be pretty good! I like those sort of things where they do a really different take on some classic tunes. I've a dub reggae version of Dark Side of the Moon, country versions of Led Zeppelin and Beatles songs... plus of course there is the mighty Dread Zeppelin who do brilliant reggae tinged versions of Zep classics with an Elvis impersonator singing (called Tortelvis!). Now that's what I call music..... :wink

John
7th May 2004, 16:16
I absolutely love Led Zepplin, Jimmy Page is the world's greatest guitarist of all time in my opinion! Might check out those other bands you mentioned that have done covers etc, although sometimes they just don't live up to the originals. :mover

I can't stop listening to Taylor, even though repeated listening is the easiest way to get bored of a song! :)

bigcumba
7th May 2004, 16:28
Ah, well if you're a big Zep fan then you will like the Dread Zep versions. They do some of their own songs as well, but the Zep stuf is excellent musically and the guy can actually pull off a decent Robert Plant as well as Elvis.

Have you got the Black Crowes and Jimmy Page double CD live at the Greek - almost all Zep songs and a few other classics as well. Page on top form and the Black Crowes obviously loving every minute of the gig! Sadly I never saw Zep live - had a chance to go to Knebworth in 79, but missed out.... luckily I saw Page/Plant in 95 in Glasgow and they were incredible.... I'd been worried about Plant's voice as every time I heard him live on telly he sounded terrible - not that night..... everyone came out of that gig with a big cheesy grin, they were that amazing!

John
7th May 2004, 16:51
Knebworth in '79... before I even existed!

Haven't got any Black Crowes or Zep material on CD, although seen a few Zep videos at a friend's the other day, brilliant stuff! Gigs where everyone comes out smiling are the best gigs, it happens at every festival too. :)

John
7th May 2004, 23:15
Any updates on the Jack Johnson story then BigC?

Just got back from a gig down the road, that's 2 gigs in 2 weeks! Ooo My flatmate persuaded me to come and see Therapy and The Wildhearts. Even though that genre doesn't appeal to me, they were still really good. I was surprised at the lack of 'true punk rockers' there were, today's society isn't as focused as it once was, a lot more mainstream nowadays. At least it was money well spent. :)

bigcumba
7th May 2004, 23:26
The Wildhearts are pretty good - they supported Motorhead last year. Therapy I saw once way back in around 95/96 and I liked them then, haven't really followed them since

Somethin you might like along the jazzy big band scene is Michael Buble - to me he's Sinatra to Jamie Cullum's Tony Bennett. He's another young guy with a fantastic voice, he does a cracking version of Van Morrison's Moondance on the album - really gets it swinging! Check him out if you can.

markwales
7th May 2004, 23:31
me thinks tomorrow will be spent downloading !!!,......sounds like some great stuff mentioned here.

I'm primarily a rock fan, but jazz does it for me too.

P.S. Thunder are touring this year...GET AND SEE THEM if you can !!!!!

John
7th May 2004, 23:34
Definitely Mark, like I said, Taylor is definitely worth a listen, it's the catchiest tune I've heard in a long time - what a shame they don't let you preview the intro riff! Haven't heard of Thunder, but I'm in a musical mood, so they're going on my download list.

I'm going to download some Michael Buble now you've recommended him BC, the name rings a bell but I can't remember where I've heard his name. I buy NME every week so probably from there. Any stand out tracks you recommend?

Rock on! :)

bigcumba
7th May 2004, 23:40
Any of the tracks off his album are worth getting John, but Moondance is a cracker.

Mark, Thunder are a great band, only seen them a handful of times live but always good. They keep up the classic Whitesnake (late 70's early 80's version) tradition of great British blues-rock.

markwales
7th May 2004, 23:43
Nice to hear BC.....I'm a Thunder devotee......all the albums, all the singles, most of 'em signed and so on....The next gig will be my 52nd.....I know it's sad, I don't need telling !!!

John
7th May 2004, 23:45
Re... Johnson...

http://www.jackjohnsonmusic.com/music/default.aspx

Heaven. :D

The Windows Media Player ones didn't work for me, so I'm getting the Quicktime ones.

bigcumba
7th May 2004, 23:48
52 gigs by the same band - that's a real 'fan'! I guess I've been into too many bands to be able to do that with any one band. Seen Motorhead and Hawkwind nearly 20 times each, Saxon around 15, Marillion nearly 20, mostly with Fish.

markwales
7th May 2004, 23:49
Ooooohhhh Chill !!!....superb head nodding stuff SJ

John
7th May 2004, 23:50
Ooo

I just can't wait to get to V Festival to see The Strokes.

markwales
7th May 2004, 23:51
Thunder were the first rock band I ever saw, and I just got hooked. Plus the fact that they're a nice bunch of guys, always have an after gig party with the fans (fan club members), and now and again get the beers in !!!...lol

John
7th May 2004, 23:52
Ooooohhhh Chill !!!....superb head nodding stuff SJ
Methinks someone likes Jack Johnson. :D

bigcumba
8th May 2004, 00:02
Just had a listen to a few bits myself, and was able to watch a bit of video as well - pretty good and just the job for this time of night to go with my bottle of wine... :wink Much better quality than on the HMV site. He reminds me of someone but can't quite pin it down. There's a hint of Lou Reed, and a wee bit of James Taylor in there, but much more... voice is different enough to catch the ear right away, the guitar style is different as well. Wonder when we'll see him on Parky! BTW that might be where you saw Michael Buble SJ...

John
8th May 2004, 00:13
Very chillout isn't he, but not your average chillout... has a bit of an edge to him, and some Lou Reed material is quality.

Just downloaded some Michael Buble including Moondance, haven't listened to any yet... have a guess why! :)

Any chillout music like this is great for this time of night... Sting, Dido, David Gray, Counting Crows, Suzanne Vega.....

bigcumba
8th May 2004, 00:19
Ah, Suzanne Vega... beautiful voice! Got her first 3 albums way back, one of the best female singer/songwriters ever!

John
8th May 2004, 00:20
True, not to mention Sade!

bigcumba
8th May 2004, 00:22
True, not to mention Sade!

Sade.... zzzzz... :) Only joking, she is very good, and damn sexy with it!

John
7th June 2004, 21:46
Well 4 weeks later, and everyone who I've convinced to listen to Jack Johnson likes him. :) Managed to get my parents off my back as well as they seem to like him so far. It's a perfect album for the occasional bottle of wine and dimmed lighting. My dad just said he sounds like Paul Simon from the 60's, who I don't know of, so time to grab what I can of him as well!

Alex
7th June 2004, 21:55
Got to say that all these so called fresh faces are a load of **** and bring nothing new to jazz. As a student of jazz for many years and as a musician all i can say that you are lowering yourselves listening to this regurgitated dross.

May i suggest: John Coltrane, Chick Corea, Pat Metheny

as a few examples of jazz.

My opinion by the way, dont take offense :)

Alex.

sparkyminer
7th June 2004, 21:57
Paul Simon of Simon and Garfunkel, surely even at your tender age you've heard of him.

John
7th June 2004, 22:02
Alex, Jack isn't trying to recreate jazz, infact I don't even think Jack Johnson is all that jazzy now that I've listened to him more. I think Cullum is trying too hard to recreate jazz, as he is certainly more upbeat and jazzy, but all he said he wanted to do was to make jazz appeal to younger people. Why not give him a try and then come back and give a second opinion.

Sparky, course I've heard of Simon and Garfunkel, I just didn't realise Paul Simon was the guy linked! :)

bigcumba
7th June 2004, 22:04
May i suggest: John Coltrane, Chick Corea, Pat Metheny

as a few examples of jazz.

Great musicians, but perhaps a wee bit too 'out there' for newcomers to jazz, Alex. I do like Jamie Cullum, a very talented youngster with a long future ahead of him....he'll improve with age. My dad is a big jazz fan, but of the trad variety, Chris Barber, Acker Bilk, Kenny Ball etc, great music to catch live!

sparkyminer
7th June 2004, 22:19
Had a quick listen to the Jack Johnson snippets, definitely worth a further listen methinks, don't normally like jazz, always sounds like 2 or 3 of them are playing from a different sheet to the others in the band. :rolleyes: :wink

John
7th June 2004, 22:33
Good call BigC, I also think Jamie Cullum will improve with age. He's very mature for his age though (early 20's) and perhaps a slight bit ignorant to the understanding of his music, but I don't mean that in a nasty way. I'm having problems explaining exactly what I mean, but expect big things from Cullum in the future!

Alex I will give those artists you mentioned a try.

John
14th August 2004, 21:44
I have discovered somebody just like Jack... his name is Donavon Frankenreiter (just done the one album released in May, so you haven't missed much!)

Also been listening to John Mayer - a bit rockier and more raw too.

John
22nd February 2005, 22:46
A new Jack Johnson album comes out on the 28th (Monday) :D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0007OC71O/ref%3Dmm%5Fsnpa%5F/202-7822274-1506205

John
24th November 2005, 21:40
Got tickets to see Jack Johnson today. :D :D

Hammersmith Apollo on Friday 3rd March 2006. :D :D

bigcumba
24th November 2005, 21:47
Ah, well done that man, should be a good gig! I just ordered my tickets for The Darkness in February, plus a wee while ago got tickets for George Thorogood up in London in June.

John
24th November 2005, 22:05
Cheers mate, hope your gig is as good as I'm hoping mine will be!