PDA

View Full Version : Exchanges

Win2Win
8th May 2004, 09:51
If you have never used a betting exchange before, the obvious question is why not? You have so much money you like giving it away? You enjoy losing?

Whatever the reason, if you want to at least improve your returns you need a Betfair account. https://www.betfair.com/redir.asp?rfr=68

Why? Here are a few recent examples of Win2Win winners;
SP 1/1 - BF 1.68/1
SP 5/1 - BF 7.2/1
SP 1/2 - BF 0.63/1
SP 25/1 - BF 50/1

Just taking those 4 results if you used a £1 stake here is what you would have won.
Bookie - £31.50
Betfair - £59.51

That is an extra £28.01, so if you bet £10 stakes and do not use the exchanges you need to ask yourself why you have thrown away £280.10!!

Yes you do pay commission on the exchanges, but the more you bet the lower it gets. So you start at 5%, and can get down to 2%. Even taking into account the 5% you still made an extra £25.

Betfair does have a minimum stake of £2, some other echanges are £1.

Once you start using the exchanges, I promise you that you will use the bookmakers less and less.

Betfair has full on site instructions https://www.betfair.com/redir.asp?rfr=68 , but please feel free to post any questions you have in this forum. As well as giving you more winners, we offer plenty of advice.

As with the bookmakers, it is always wise to have more than one account, in case one site is offline, as well as being able to look for the better odds.

The other exchange worth joining is;

Betdaq - http://www.phoenix-online.com/click2.php?id=39&bid=55

rusko
12th May 2004, 14:54
How do you rate the other exchange Sporting Options? And why would one be better than the other?

Win2Win
12th May 2004, 15:16
Sporting Options - http://www.sportingoptions.co.uk/bettingexchange/affiliates.asp?affid=29 , is fine, and has a minimum stake of £1.

Both SO & Betdaq have lower commission than Betfair if you are just starting off, but if your backing horses that aren't fancied the liquidity at Betfair will give you better prices due to the competition.

Although their are other exchanges around, these three are the only one's worth getting involved with to begin with.

BelfastBoy
2nd June 2004, 23:29
Hi, I have recently signed up with Betfair and was wondering if they have any ante-post for Royal Ascot...

cheers in advance....

bigcumba
2nd June 2004, 23:38
Hi BB,

log into Betfair as usual, click on the all markets link at the top of the left column, click on horse racing (not the one with todays card), click on UK, click on ante post, and the 5 days Royal Ascot should be there.... not all races covered yet, but the most important ones are up.... :)

BelfastBoy
2nd June 2004, 23:45
Cheers BC..... found it....

MattR
3rd June 2004, 00:05
Hi BB,

log into Betfair as usual, click on the all markets link at the top of the left column, click on horse racing (not the one with todays card), click on UK, click on ante post, and the 5 days Royal Ascot should be there.... not all races covered yet, but the most important ones are up.... :)

Further to the thread on the merits of this board, this is a prime example. On many boards that question would get sarcastic replies about go look yourself etc. Nice one BigC. :)

bigcumba
3rd June 2004, 00:21
Further to the thread on the merits of this board, this is a prime example. On many boards that question would get sarcastic replies about go look yourself etc. Nice one BigC. :)

Awww shucks mate :) To me this is what being a mod on here is about, and I know the others feel the same way, being helpful costs nowt but a few minutes time at most, being obnoxious is easier but gets you nowhere... and I know what you mean about elsewhere though - just point your newsreader software at uk.sport.horseracing and have a look back at some threads myself and Manckevin got involved in a wee while ago.... :yikes:

Thanks again!

John
3rd June 2004, 01:26
I'll second that Campbell. Always willing to help out, when I can, although I'm not on as much as I used to be so by and large, other people get there first!

Keith I think that is meant to say 2.68? (the first Betfair price)

MarcusMel
3rd June 2004, 12:14
Personally I cant see the point in NOT being helpful! You help others and they nearly always try to help you. That sounds like a good position to be in than to have people always looking for a way 'to get thier own back' after you have been nasty.

Unfortunately I do get angry occasionally! :yikes:

BelfastBoy
3rd June 2004, 23:26
Just to second your thoughts, anyone whom I have been in contact with have been very helpful.

I know I do not post that often due to other commitments but I try to view as many posts as I can when I get the chance. I have signed up for a few of the daily memberships and they have been helpful but unfortunately I am not seeing racing that often therefore it would not benefit me to sign up for any longer than the odd day here and there.

Just to reiterate, I really enjoy the reading on the forum as you all have a better knowledge of horse racing than myself, but I am a very avid fan of racing while not gambling that often, and have not felt intimidated in the slightest.... cheers again. :) :)

bigcumba
26th June 2004, 16:26
Just to re-iterate the better odds you;ll get on Betfair - I've just had 2 of my system bets come in - Majorca was 4/1 SP, saw it at 7.2/1 earlier on, Frascati won at 9/1, was available at 19/1 on Betfair.... you simply cannot afford to miss out on better odds like this - sign up via the link at the top of this thread!

vegyjones
28th June 2004, 13:41
I have a statement on behalf of one of my clients!

The exchanges are not very good and shouldn't be used.
They encourage corruption and cheating.
There is a bung in every race and and jockeys fix races.
Cheating, unfair, losing punters money.
That's the excchanges for you!
And all because you bet £2 on a 16-1 horse.

Yours, Mr ladbroke!

P.S Bet £2000 with me, and I'll give you a free £5 bet
as long as you use it today, on a 33-1 shot or longer,
in a 16+ runner race!

Onlyforfun
28th June 2004, 13:54
I have a statement on behalf of one of my clients!

The exchanges are not very good and shouldn't be used.
They encourage corruption and cheating.
There is a bung in every race and and jockeys fix races.
Cheating, unfair, losing punters money.
That's the excchanges for you!
And all because you bet £2 on a 16-1 horse.

Yours, Mr ladbroke!

P.S Bet £2000 with me, and I'll give you a free £5 bet
as long as you use it today, on a 33-1 shot or longer,
in a 16+ runner race!
PPS - And if either win I'll close your account.

peza2605
4th July 2004, 12:38
what does the money under the odds mean?

John
4th July 2004, 12:41
Hi Peza

It's the difference in returned money between a regular bookie and Betfair. Like Keith says if you're using regular bookmakers you are throwing money away, as Betfair odds are generally 20%+ better.

podtog
4th July 2004, 12:48
Its the accumulative money that people have put up to either lay or back the horse, You fancie your selection at 5s and somebody is saying I,ll lay for x amount which is the money under the back selection.

TheOldhamWhisper
4th July 2004, 12:50
what does the money under the odds mean?
Do you mean on Betfair peza? If so, it is the amount currently available at the odds shown.

peza2605
4th July 2004, 13:18
yep on betfair to lay epicure its got 9.8 as the odds then underneath that its got
£11 what does the £11 mean? cant you tell im new to betfair lol

Win2Win
4th July 2004, 13:27
It just means that £11 is available at that price, next to it will be more odds, with the amount in £'s available at that price.

peza2605
4th July 2004, 13:28
ta

charliem
11th July 2004, 14:48
Starting to seee that 1st and second fav are representing bad value on betfair. Less than bookies in many cases. I tihk it is because on course bookies are using betfair more often

podtog
11th July 2004, 15:28
Which exchanges operate on the minimum commision with a decent liquidity for the purposes of trading? Also how about a trading thread Kieth.

Win2Win
11th July 2004, 21:44
Also how about a trading thread Kieth.

I use Ebay for that!! :doh

Sportingoptions is just fine.

peza2605
21st July 2004, 17:47
do betdaq kindly give you some free cash like bet fair do???

Win2Win
21st July 2004, 21:46
Not that I know of, don't you make enough on here :)

Merlin
22nd July 2004, 01:29
Hi,

Betfair have recently made a statement to the effect .... :yikes:
..................................................................................................................

Betfair to get tought on online fraud

by Stuart Brodkin

BETFAIR is broadening the process of validation and verification currently undergone by selected customers to its entire client base over the course of the next few months in a bid to fight the threat of credit card fraud and money laundering.

The betting exchange has emailed clients saying it wants to "properly identify customers as an integrity and security measure".

As a result customers are being asked to supply "personal identification", such as a passport, driving licence or Social Security card; "address verification" which can take the form of a utility bill, tax bill or copy of a bank statement and "source of payment verification", which can be either a Betfair account registered credit or debit card or a copy of a credit card account statement which is less than three months old.

The information can be sent by customers in the form of a photocopy or scan and must be received within ten working days. They warn that non-receipt may result in the temporary suspension of the client's account "until the documents are received and validated". Documents can be sent by post, fax or email.

Betfair say their request is in line with "checks used by any UK bank or other secure financial institution" and they assure customers that all information will be stored securely in line with the company's privacy policy and the UK Data Protection Act 1998.

Mark Davies, Betfair's director of communications, said: "We want to stay ahead of the game and be best in class. We are under the spotlight all the time and our goal is to be absolutely compliant with any regulatory requirements.

"Many other betting companies would not stand up to the scrutiny we are putting ourselves under.

"We are looking to the future and ifand when regulations are introduced we want to be in line with what is required by the DCMS (Department of Culture Media and Sport), the FSA (Financial Services Agency) and the Gaming Commission."

Davies said one of the company's main areas of concern is in the field of money-laundering.

"Our fraud team has expanded recently and is now three times the size it was six months ago. Their aim is to keep a lid on fraud, not for the sake of PR but for the good of the business. They are looking for credit card fraud as well as dodgy money, which may be part of a money laundering operation.

"We have strong rules against collusion whereby people are passing money to each other and where there is deemed to be a strong risk of money laundering.

"But we are not unduly concerned about money laundering. The checks we have are way ahead of most organisations and there is nothing that comes in or out of our system that we can't track electronically."

Davies added that Betfair has nohesitation in closing down customers’ accounts who do not follow their rules.

As the verification process is largely a manual operation, Davies said it will take several months to complete.
..................................................................................................................

What really concerns me personally, is that I live in Brazil, and as I mostly only bet singles, betfair is essential for me... I sometimes have large bets - plus occasional lays.

Basically , without betfair I would be furked, I have recently had 2 betting accounts closed by Ladbrokes and William Hill, this was apparently due to them identifying my computer access was from within a country where it is illegal to bet (ie - Brazil).

Of course I dont want to write to betfair about this in case they too close my account... I am just trying to plan ahead so to speak...

My position maybe OK, but I am uncertain...Any advice please....

Although my betting is funded from a UK bank account, and I have a British passport too, I will not be able to produce a utility bill, or in fact any proof of address from the UK....as I sold my property before moving to Brazil.

To Ladbrokes and William Hill :butthead:

Thanks in advance , Merl.

Win2Win
22nd July 2004, 08:53
Unless Brazil has banned Betfair then I doubt their will be a problem. Companies like Betdaq.com, have been doing this for years.

I think the policy is first to check all UK accounts, and this may take up to a year anyway, as I take it when you registered you put Brazil, and they are looking for World domination, I doubt you'll have a problem.

As for other bookies, use a proxy, join ONSPEED for about £25 a year, and get faster connection as well, or use Steganos Anonym, these both hide your location.

Merlin
22nd July 2004, 12:50
Thanks Keith,

Really appreciate your reply, particularly -
use Steganos Anonym, these both hide your location., a further question, will this work regarding the wife too...?

When I registered with Betfair I was between the 2 countries , so to speak, and used my UK details at that time...

Regards, Merlin.

Win2Win
22nd July 2004, 13:47
::hump I find buying the missus something each week keeps her happy, as well as