PDA

View Full Version : Irish Racing (Non-Runners)

manckevin
17th May 2004, 22:46
Is there anything different in the way the Irish do things that usually results in so many non-runners?

Not important, just wondering!

Kevin

GlosRFC
18th May 2004, 00:00
Our Emerald Isle visitors can probably answer this more accurately than I, but they tend to have reserve horses for each race so, in theory, they should step up to fill in for any horses that don't run. Of course that means that there will usually be four "non-runners" (the reserves) even if every horse runs!

Just like here though, the trainers/owners will withdraw a horse if they feel that the ground/conditions aren't right and the reserve horses can also be withdrawn for the same reasons. So on the whole, although it always looks like there are more non-runners in Ireland, four of them wouldn't have run anyway....and the advantage of reserves means that they usually manage to stay over the 16+ limit in handicaps which means the bookies paying out on 4th place more often :D

BTW, judging from your latest pic, I hope you did plenty of damage to that geezers fist ::swear

manckevin
18th May 2004, 20:09
Cheers for that explanation Glos!

As for me getting the **** - it all happened so quickly I don't even remember getting belted!

Kevin (STILL waiting for the police)