PDA

View Full Version : Robert Randolph and the Family Band

bigcumba
10th June 2004, 10:08
Just had a look at this guys website as they came recommended in this months Classic Rock mag. Wow! This is the magazines description of the music - "Spiritually uplifting with groove-laden melodies....imagine Jimi Hendrix jamming with Ben Harper, Stevie Wonder and Sly and the Family Stone"

Pretty good description! A mix of blues, funk, soul, and rock. Brilliant - now to try and find the album! The main man himself plays a different instrument to the usual guitar hero - he plays the 13 string pedal steel guitar - usually seen in your typical country band!

www.robertrandolph.net

The site is very heavy on graphics and might take a while to get on dial-up, but on broadband you're in for a treat - several videos at different bit-rates to suit your connection.

John
10th June 2004, 10:58
Description sounds good, will have a listen later! :)

rusko
10th June 2004, 19:26
Saw them on Jools Holland tv prog one night excellant! Big C's description is spot on.

bigcumba
10th June 2004, 19:33
Damn, wish I'd seen that Rusko! Definitely a band I'll try and see live if they come back over here :)

mrkoolio
11th June 2004, 13:50
May I suggest you check out Amazon.co.uk they have latest cd for £11.99 - you can also hear some sample tracks and read some good reviews. Downloads quicker than the Randolph site too.

bigcumba
11th June 2004, 13:53
Cheers mate, that's a decent enough price! I may cheat for now and grab the tracks via Shareaza for now, but it's good enough to be worth buying. The new Motorhead album is first on the list though!

John
12th June 2004, 18:41
Not bad at all Campbell, although a lot of the songs do sound quite similar, but all in all that isn't a problem. Pretty awesome stuff though, reminds me of Ben Harper a lot, mixed with a bit of bluesy guitars and funk rock. :)

I especially like the tracks "Run For Your Life" and "Squeeze" as they are pretty diverse from the others. I love the way the guitarist just seems to "play" with his guitar.

bigcumba
12th June 2004, 20:27
Glad you liked it John, it's real good time music - must be brilliant live!