PDA

View Full Version : Site Down

Win2Win
8th August 2004, 16:29
The HTML part of the Win2Win pages is not being sent to your browser. The host is looking into it, until then their is nothing I can do.

Apologies for the hassle.

TheOldhamWhisper
8th August 2004, 16:58
As soon as I saw this, I sate down :laugh

Win2Win
8th August 2004, 17:12
It appears their is a problem with the space allocation on the server, and I think it's dumped some forum posts ;fire

sparkyminer
8th August 2004, 17:17
and I think it's dumped some forum posts ;fire
Save the Mods a job then. :rolleyes: :)

Win2Win
8th August 2004, 17:27
The Mods don't prune threads, I do, and only Edit/Delete a post with my backing.

Win2Win
8th August 2004, 17:44
UPDATE:

The disk space on the server is showing -786MB, which means over the limit of 400MB. However, the space used is well below that, and if it was full people would not be able to use any of my forums due to lack of space. I've also just backed up the forum at 52,000,000kb, so their is plenty of space.

The problem appears to be an allocation error on the server which they are now looking into. It does not allow FTP updates, so I am unable to renew the site.

Win2Win
8th August 2004, 17:52
Message from the Host;

Hi,

The problem is being worked on. We will respond to your
ticket once this has been fixed.

Graham McMillan
HostRocket Support

silax
8th August 2004, 18:38
any chance of getting my proberbility thread back in the laying section

Win2Win
8th August 2004, 18:44
Doubt it, without a few hours work, as I haven't a clue how to restore a partial backup, but if it's so important I can take a look Mon/Tues but can't promise anything.

silax
8th August 2004, 18:51
not important if anybody knows where the bank was at close of today around about the £2,450 mark which is where i'll start from tomorrow

Win2Win
8th August 2004, 18:57
Blimey, vBulletin are quick.

The simple answer is no. I can restore the forum to what it was 2 days, ago, but all posts since then would be lost, so it's a no win situation, you can't do a partial reinstall.

I know it's a pain in the :butthead: , but at least it wasn't any of the main content that went, although i would then use the total restore function for that.

Still waiting for them to sort the problem, 5 hrs and counting.....

mathare
8th August 2004, 19:00
not important if anybody knows where the bank was at close of today around about the £2,450 mark which is where i'll start from tomorrow
I think I recall seeing a £2352 start bank and £80 today would make it £2432

silax
8th August 2004, 20:12
thanks matt
thats all i need to know

sparkyminer
8th August 2004, 20:58
Have they given you any indication of time to fix at all Keith? Surely they must have some sort of back up system? I'm not very computery, so why does the forum still work?

zomby
8th August 2004, 21:17
They do backups every few days(or most hosts do anyway). So if something goofs up, the client will get a semi-decent restore of what they had. Anything in the interim has do be done by the owner of the webspace. Most ppl don't do Daily or even Weekly backups, so if Keith has backups from 2 days ago, he did better than most people.

If I'm wrong, spank me but be gentle.

Win2Win
8th August 2004, 21:18
The problem is with the allocation part of the disk which monitors disk space. It is giving out a false reading, and so if I try to upload via FTP I get a "No space remaining" error.

The reason why the forum is working is because it is PHP/MySQl based, and uses a different part of the disk structure.

As for time, probably AM tomorrow, as I'm off to bed soon before I pass out in pain. Roll on my steroids on Friday.

vegyjones
8th August 2004, 23:57
Thank :censored: our story didn't disappear.

We'd have to strat back at the beginning! :D

John
8th August 2004, 23:59
We'd have to strat back at the beginning! :D
No you wouldn't... I have it all saved... :)

vegyjones
9th August 2004, 00:12
Well done SJ! :D

Win2Win
9th August 2004, 07:49
Everything is working fine now.

The problem was that the server software had decided to change the 766MB I was using, to -766B, therefor allowing no FTP updates, cand cancelling any files I tried to 0kbs.

The reason why the forum was still working was because it doesn't use the figure.

Part of the forum was lost while they attempted to reprogram the amount of space actually used, against what it thought it was using.

We both have backups but they will put the forum back 36hrs, and so it's best to leave it as is.

Apologies again to anyone who lost data, at least it was in the tipping thread and not any of the one's containing years of history, although I would then reinstall the backup.

Thanks for your patience.