PDA

View Full Version : Judas Priest

bigcumba
7th December 2004, 21:40
I know Keith already has his tickets for the Manchester gig, and I've now booked mine for London... why the recommendation ? The Priest are one of the most influential British Metal bands ever - up there with Sabbath as one of the legends, and now Rob Halford is back on vocals after 12 years solo this will be one of the gigs of the decade! With the added bonus of another class band - the Scorpions - as support this will be one memorable night.... boy am I looking forward to this one! If you want to know where modern metal got a lot of it's influences download the Unleashed in the East album and enjoy :D

Win2Win
7th December 2004, 21:55
Waa Hey :)

Just found out Hawkwind are on in Birkenhead in 2 weeks, so trying to get tickets for that.

Maiden are touring the big venues next year, and Oslo sold 88,000 tickets in 2.5 hrs !! Parc De Prance (or whatever) in Paris have just gone on sale. hate bloody Paris though, and if we had a Wembley they'd play there as well :(

bigcumba
7th December 2004, 22:26
Yep, well chuffed mate if I have to I'll throw a sickie - Priest were the second major band I saw in concert, this one will be almost 25 years to the day from that one! And Iron Maiden supported them on that tour back in 1980.... now that was a cracker of a gig - Maiden were hot and promised to blow Priest off stage - very nearly did as well! Saw JP on the Painkiller tour in 91 - that was a brilliant show as well - 2 hours solid of Priest classics.... then twice with Ripper Owens singing - to give the guy his due he was a fantastic front man, and carried the old stuff as well as Halford could - just wasn't as good a song writer as Rob. As for the Scorpions - haven't seen them since the Crazy World Tour in 1990, so I'm definitely looking forward to that as they were always one of the best live bands around as well.

The Budgie gig on Saturday night was great - band were on form, did a whole bunch of classics, Breadfan, Parents, In For The Kill, Panzer Division Destroyed etc, and the support band were great fun - AC/DC tribute band called Live Wire - had 2 singers to cover the Bon / Brian stuff - the Bon Scott guy was spooky - sounded VERY like the man himself and looked the part as well. The Johnson guy looked the part, sounded OK. If they play any gigs locally well worth checking them out for a good fun night out.... and yes the guitarist wears the schoolboy gear and headbangs like Angus! :)

Win2Win
8th December 2004, 09:55
You did read the small print....Priest/Scorpions support act is Westlife :yikes:

Workshy
8th December 2004, 10:30
Sorry, but metal 'music' :cryer :bnk

Each to their own I guess :doh

Onlyforfun
8th December 2004, 11:59
Hope theres plenty room to park the zimmer frames! :laugh

rusko
8th December 2004, 19:55
Thats why it's called 'Metal', all those zimmers clanking!

bigcumba
8th December 2004, 20:02
You did read the small print....Priest/Scorpions support act is Westlife :yikes:

Oh yeah! That means lots of jailbait at the gig :D

rusko
8th December 2004, 23:01
Jailbait sounds good to me! Is the Scorpion's the original line up?

bigcumba
8th December 2004, 23:07
The Scorps line up is Klaus Meine and Rudolf Schencker from the originals plus Matthias Jabs who's been there since 1979 - drummer is James Kottak who joined in 1996 and the bass player is now Pawel Maciwoda from Poland - he joined last year. I imagine the set will be a greatest hits of the 70's and 80's plus a song or two from the new album

piggy
9th December 2004, 03:26
if your really unluckly you'll get king crimson as support, the worst band i have ever had the misfortune to see, mind you when i saw hawkwind in 1976 they were so smashed they could hardly play their set.

ScotsDave
9th December 2004, 04:35
Funny this thread should appear - Friday afternoon in the office is (real) music time and last week, I moved from the usual stuff (VH, early Ozzy with RR, AC/DC) to Priest, Rainbow and Saxon (my first gig!) for a laugh - found some great tracks (go Unleashed!) but still can't believe the purveyors of Nude Disintegrating Parachutist Woman are still going!! Go Budgie!!

Stand by for Exciter :yikes: !

bigcumba
9th December 2004, 08:58
but still can't believe the purveyors of Nude Disintegrating Parachutist Woman are still going!! Go Budgie!!

They reformed around 5 years ago Dave, and yes they did Nude Disintegrating Parachute Women as well! Burke Shelley is still a puny weed with a bass that's almost as big as him but boy can he play the thing, and the old voice is still in great nick. New guitarist is class as well...

Saxon - we've has a few conversations about Biff and the boys - one of my old favourites as well from the Glasgow Apollo days - still around and doing pretty well - just celebrated 25 years! Just wish I could have a real music afternoon at work!