PDA

View Full Version : can anyone reccomend some good horse racing books

presto
21st December 2004, 01:46
dispite following w2w selections for over a year i know absalutly bugger all about horse racing, and i would like to know more about predicting winners as part of my learning curve on gambling.

i would especially like to get to grips with RSB, which at the moment (for me) is pretty much hit and miss... miss .... miss :( which i feel is down to my distinctive lack of horse racing knowledge. and is now getting rather tedious and dare i say random.

what i am after is possibily a few books on horse racing that will give me the knowledge to start constructing my own systems.

markwales
21st December 2004, 08:54
Winning Without Thinking - A Guide to Horse Race Betting Systems
by Nick Mordin is a very good read.

The Daily Express, May 2002
Think your way to shrewder punting - read Nick Mordin's thought-provoking new book Winning Without Thinking.

The Racing Post, April 2002
Mordin is unique - there is no-one else writing anything quite like this for the British market … thoroughly recommended.

If you use Amazon, do the honourable thing and go through Keith's link on the main W2W page!!!

Jonny2621
21st December 2004, 09:17
I'll second that, i won this book as a monthly prize ( thank you Mods/Keith) and i keep going back to it. I have used a lot of the advice within as the basis of some profitable ( so far) systems. Well worth a read.

Jon

Winning Without Thinking - A Guide to Horse Race Betting Systems
by Nick Mordin is a very good read.

The Daily Express, May 2002
Think your way to shrewder punting - read Nick Mordin's thought-provoking new book Winning Without Thinking.

The Racing Post, April 2002
Mordin is unique - there is no-one else writing anything quite like this for the British market … thoroughly recommended.

If you use Amazon, do the honourable thing and go through Keith's link on the main W2W page!!!

vegyjones
21st December 2004, 09:21
I'll second that, i won this book as a monthly prize ( thank you Mods/Keith) and i keep going back to it. I have used a lot of the advice within as the basis of some profitable ( so far) systems. Well worth a read.

Jon

HAVE YOU?? :yikes:

I red it looking for that magical system...
that money yielding svheme...
that holy grail of profitable strategies...

all i got out of it was...

YOU'll HAVE TO WORK IT OUT FOR YOURSELF!! ;fire

:laugh

mathare
21st December 2004, 10:34
I've read quite a few racing books. All have somethign slightly different to say or cover slightly different topics. The ones I can remember reading are:

Winning Without Thinking - Nick Mordin
Betting for a Living - Nick Mordin
C4 Guide To Racing and Betting - Seam Magee (ed)
Racing Systems With The Pocket Calculator - Betting Systems That Win! - John White (title is a big lie but it gave me a few ideas for systems)
The New Complete Manual of Racing and Betting Systems - David Duncan
Winning Horse Racing Formulae - David Duncan

I started off ordering a couple of books a month from Amazon (use the link on the W2W site :) ) then realised that if I was patient I could pick quite a few books up off Ebay for not a lot. I did that and bought a few books about racing that weren't on my list of books I desperately wanted but were interesting all the same.

I found the more I learned about racing in general the better equipped I was to understand a lot of what goes on on race day, why certain betting trends appear etc. Once of the best books I have got recently was The Punters Friend (I forget the author but the cover has a picture of Dettori's flying dismount). It explains a lot about racing in simple terms and has a nice glossary of racing terms. I also picked up C4's A-Z of Racing (or similar title) for less than a fiver all in on Ebay and that has been useful.

l'head eagle
21st December 2004, 12:21
It's not a book as such but is full of a wealth of info for those new to racing and old hands alike, it is the mag Racing Ahead.