PDA

View Full Version : ROI for a lay system

mathare
8th January 2005, 14:09
How do you calculate the ROI for a lay system?

Is it:
a) profit as a percentage of the total amount staked or
b) profit as a percentage of the total amount risked ie the total liability?

The correct answer to this question may have a major impact on something I said yesterday....

bigcumba
8th January 2005, 14:11
I would always consider it the second one - as that's your 'investment', so the returns would be calculated on this figure :)

bigcumba
8th January 2005, 14:13
Just changed it Mat - misread it!

It's definitely the % of your liability!

mathare
8th January 2005, 14:14
I would always consider it the second one - as that's your 'investment', so the returns would be calculated on this figure :)
I thought as much, that's what I normally work with but for some reason I appear to have implemented it differently in a certain spreadsheet that got used heavily last night. Whoops!

I told you I wanted to sleep on thos figures because they didn't seem right :)

Back to the drawing board... :)

mathare
8th January 2005, 14:15
Just changed it Mat - misread it!

It's definitely the % of your liability!
I thought it said first one when I initially read it so I started to reply and then my reply seemed to make no sense when I saw it said second :)

I thought I was going mad there for a minute!!

mathare
8th January 2005, 14:21
It's fair to say then that the ROI on a lay system is going to be pretty low and it's the high SR and turnover that generates the profit?

bigcumba
8th January 2005, 14:34
I would imagine so Mat, unless someone can come up with a decent lay system that picks losing favs on a very regular basis!

manckevin
9th January 2005, 00:27
I would imagine so Mat, unless someone can come up with a decent lay system that picks losing favs on a very regular basis!

ala most TV tipsters :D

Win2Win
9th January 2005, 01:11
Your looking for a minimum of -20%ROI, but 30%+ is more reliable

Merlin
9th January 2005, 23:25

You guys have spawned an idea for a lay System/Method....I will trial it on the Lay Thread from tommorow..........all selections must be 2/1 or less in the Racing Post....... :yikes:

Lets see how it goes......:yikes: