PDA

View Full Version : PMs

Fadetoblack
1st February 2005, 22:07
I know it probably states it somewhere around here but do you have to be a member before you can send PMs? It won't be long before im a member anyway (waiting to start a new job) but I couldnt send a pm to Keith today to give him my details and I was just wondering was that the reason. Apologies if this is dealt with in a charter somewhere.

Workshy
1st February 2005, 22:08
Yeah, you have to be a member mate. I think its to prevent spamming/abuse etc :)

Fadetoblack
1st February 2005, 22:10
That's cool. Thanks for that Workshy. I sent a mail to the info address...I'm sure that will be ok will it?

Win2Win
1st February 2005, 22:12
Got it. SUPERMAN has risen :yikes:

samantha1303
1st February 2005, 22:13
Not too long ago everyone was able to use the PM facillity, but it got abused or rather many people did by it - surprising but true.
It then became a members only facillity.
For non - members they can email Keith.
Makes you wonder why when the reputation feature is there.
Every post has a set of scales in the top right, you can approve or dissaprove of someones post by clicking on it.
To stop anyone ganging up on an individual you have to give reputation to so may people before you can give it to the same person a second time, good or bad.
Anyone can view their reputation comments by clicking on user cp

Merlin
1st February 2005, 23:40
This has probably been brought up before...so I apologise if I am ressurecting Satan..........:yikes:

But why not allow long standing forum memebers access to PMs.....?.........As a persoanl example. twice I have had to resort to posting some info for memebers.......then delete the post almost immediately.........One was my e-mail address and the other was some system rules......... :yikes:

I suppose this is to Keith really.........unless one of the Mods can answer...........

Fadetoblack
1st February 2005, 23:50
i think we've reached a point where we're all friends now...maybe i'm wrong but I think there's an unrivalled atmosphere on this site.

vegyjones
2nd February 2005, 00:04
No there ain't

you :censored:
:laugh

MarcusMel
2nd February 2005, 00:08
Vegy I don't thinks that's funny.

FTB complements the site and you sort of swear at him and say it is a joke.

Sorry I just don't get it.

vegyjones
2nd February 2005, 00:11
Sorry marcus, and sorry FTB

He said there was an unrivalled atmosphere...
so the expletive was in contrast to FTB's statement.

I thought it was funny! :D

I'm sure FTB will see the funny side! :wink
I hope! :yikes:

Fadetoblack
2nd February 2005, 00:14
Of course...vegy is part of the great atmosphere here.

GlosRFC
2nd February 2005, 00:14
Yeah, I'd back Merlin's thoughts too. Must be some way of recognising the good guys from the bad based on W2W/Mod observance.
I'm not sure about Samantha's point. I suppose being able to PM could be tied in with rep points as a reward for good behaviour but, if that's happening, my rep is too low to count I suppose.

vegyjones
2nd February 2005, 00:19
Of course...vegy is part of the great atmosphere here.

Someone who understands my sense of humour! :D
At last... come round my gaffe, we can watch tapes of
Morecombe and Wise together! :laugh

tophatter
2nd February 2005, 00:23
It is a shame Merlin but we had a real problem with PM's and spam and worse when they were universally available. Im not sure if you are able to enable some users to have PMs and not others unless maybe there is a way of setting another membership catergory up. Maybe there could be rule where PM's were allowed after a thousand posts or something like that but I don't know how easy it would be to implement. It is an idea that maybe something that could be looked at.

And fadetoblack is right - this is an unrivaled forum as a community.:)

MarcusMel
2nd February 2005, 00:29
:splapme Rivals vs unRivaled ok can I groan now.

Merlin
2nd February 2005, 03:56
U norty buoy Vegy........send him on a sleep over at Michaels place ,MM...........He wont be singing Ļup the Os........then.....it will be up the As:laugh

samantha1303
2nd February 2005, 09:00
I'm not sure about Samantha's point. I suppose being able to PM could be tied in with rep points as a reward for good behaviour but, if that's happening, my rep is too low to count I suppose.

What I was meaning was -
if people didn't agree with something someone had posted then they could have used the scales to dissaprove of the post, but rather than do this sometimes people would PM an abusive message to the person, and this was one of the reasons for PMs been stopped.
Not that the two are connected in any way.

bigcumba
2nd February 2005, 09:14
Someone who understands my sense of humour! :D
At last... come round my gaffe, we can watch tapes of
Morecombe and Wise together! :laugh

Helluva chat up line you have there Vegy!

Win2Win
2nd February 2005, 10:25
Part of the membership is being able to PM, as well as access the hidden area of the forum, the e-books, the members update page, etc. I can't go giving away bits of membership that are paid for by others.

It would also bring up the argument of who is a 'selected' person to use it for free. What has a newbie done wrong not to deserve it. It caused so much hassle last time, it was shut down completely, and has only been open to members for a few months, and is still on a trial basis.

Considering over 90% of members make their subscription back, it is basically a free service anyway. (The other 10% are generally people who will never make money, even with a 100% SR)

vegyjones
2nd February 2005, 11:12
Helluva chat up line you have there Vegy!

I thought that was better than...

If I open my bonnet,
you can twist my spanner and tweak my nuts :yikes:

Apologies in advance to Marcus if he is offended! :D

Merlin
2nd February 2005, 12:18
OK Keith.....and Mods thanks for answering that query.....

I didnt realise that PM messaging was considered a part of the membershhip package.........

Win2Win
2nd February 2005, 12:25
You haven't read the small print? :doh It also mentions anyone active on the forum has to spend 24hrs with Vegy :yikes:

I'll look into other options though when time permits. Never get anywhere without evolving.

vegyjones
2nd February 2005, 12:27
Just 24 hours :(