PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Software

Win2Win
23rd February 2005, 12:28
Those looking for professional software, such as AV, firewalls, etc, can use OEM software. This is software that is usually supplied with hardware but some companies do sell it on it's own, and is much cheaper than the original boxed version. It is legal & fully licencesed.

I use http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductLister.aspx?GroupID=68

& paid around £10 for Panda Platinum Internet Security OEM, usually £40+

You can also get cheap MP3 players, etc.

Jonny2621
23rd February 2005, 12:33
just tried em for Virtual PC for the Mac, no good. Looks cheap stuff though :)
JON

Win2Win
23rd February 2005, 12:39
MAC!! :laugh Get a real computer :)

lowe1
23rd February 2005, 12:41
Those looking for professional software, such as AV, firewalls, etc, can use OEM software. This is software that is usually supplied with hardware but some companies do sell it on it's own, and is much cheaper than the original boxed version. It is legal & fully licencesed.

I use http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductLister.aspx?GroupID=68

& paid around £10 for Panda Platinum Internet Security OEM, usually £40+

You can also get cheap MP3 players, etc.

if its cheap software you want just let me know all come with activation codes :D all tested on my own pc :D pay no more than a tenner

a list of software is available from myself :D items include xp pro , office pro, all games ,autocad 2005 fugawi digital map (gps) software plus many more.

Jonny2621
23rd February 2005, 12:46
MAC!! :laugh Get a real computer :)

Got both! Naaaah! :D

Win2Win
23rd February 2005, 12:53
LOWE1 - we can all get the software for free on Shareaza, etc, but I prefer to pay for full versions when it comes to security.

e55exboi
23rd February 2005, 22:49
LOWE1 - we can all get the software for free on Shareaza, etc, but I prefer to pay for full versions when it comes to security.
None of it works off P2P's

Phil
23rd February 2005, 22:53
I had to download 5 nortons AV's before I got one that I had a crack for, and to be absolutely honest I wish I hadn't bothered. I then downloaded Panda, nice for the first 15 minutes but too in your face, and then I got PC Cillin, which so far is so good. My computer must be loving me right now, clean as can be with all those virus scans it's had in the last week.

Phil
23rd February 2005, 22:55
I hope the computer police don't come and get me, I've basically just written a full confession right there. By god bob.

e55exboi
23rd February 2005, 23:22
I did that. Sent an email to a games site saying i got a game off p2p network and asked some question about it. They replied sayin they were an official site and will be reporting me to the authorities! :laugh I was like DOH!
But theyre only interested in people who download excessively. Of all the people downloading music, only 450 all over europe were "wanted" last i heard. I wonder if they can track people on sharing networks and see exactly wot they get

mathare
23rd February 2005, 23:24
I think they are more worried about those sharing loads of software rather than the downloaders

e55exboi
23rd February 2005, 23:30
Well if you leave it in your share folder then your sharing as much as you download

mathare
23rd February 2005, 23:33
Well if you leave it in your share folder then your sharing as much as you downloadAnd using up your bandwidth with uploads as well as downloads. I'm a selfish sod and when I download I trim back my upload speeds :)

e55exboi
23rd February 2005, 23:42
Why? Upload doesnt affect download i thought. And if you do that on the one i use, they limit u to one download at a time for being a stingy sod :yikes:

lowe1
24th February 2005, 09:11
None of it works off P2P's

its a good job i don't get mine from p2p then :D :D lets just say i have a very good contact who works in the it trade in a very famous uni
i have never had anyone coming back to complain

tony

waiting for that knock on the door ::swear ::swear

Win2Win
24th February 2005, 10:17
Never have a problem with P2P downloads on Shareaza, but then cracking is easy, as I used to be a little hacker before I found something better to do. If I find I'm using the software, I'll then pay for it. This techinique of using P2P downloads as 'demos' has saved me a fortune on software I would have bought, and then discovered it didn't do the job.

Don't know what you were doing with Panda Phil, it gives as many warnings as Norton, etc, and was recently voted the No.1 AV. Having tested them all myself by hacking my own systems, it came out tops as well, as it was the only one that stopped DOS attacks.

But does does software come with a legal licence LOWE? Buying OEM ensures it does.

Phil
24th February 2005, 11:59
That's why I downloaded it Keith, I saw it was number 1 on a lot of review sites. It just :censored: me off though will all the pop ups, I prefer one that's a little less in your face, even if that means sacrificing some security. As for norton that needs a computer to run itself, I don't know anyone who's computer it doesn't slow down (but I'm sure some will reply to this post :rolleyes: )

While I'm on the subject, my computer has got so damn slow lately and although I have downloaded quite a few programs, I don't think this should have done too much damage. I've got a P4 2.5Ghz, 512mb RAM, 40gb laptop and I downloaded a program the other day to try and use my RAM more efficiently, and although I haven't managed it, the program does tell me how much RAM is currently free, and there is always over half, no matter how slow my computer is running.

Even little things like now having to wait 3 seconds after clicking on IE before it opens instead of it popping straight up. I did a defrag a few days ago and that's not done much. My laptop has had a fairly clean install less than 2 months ago after a format so it doesn't make too much sense.

Any ideas would be appreciated... :(

lowe1
24th February 2005, 12:16
phil have you tried running spybot or adware that might help by deleting a lot spyware files which are trying to open up when ie does but can't because another program like pop up blocker is stopping it

just a guess

Phil
24th February 2005, 12:25
yeh I have spyhunter which in case anyone is thinking of using it, be careful. It deleted a critical file that Jasc PSP 8 was using and I had to uninstall it and reinstall it. I have adaware and a Registry Cleaner too so as far as I'm aware, my comp is pretty clean. I had a problem a few weeks ago with my comp turning itself off whenever it wanted. I searched around the net and came up with the 'turn laptop on its side and blow as hard as possible into the air vents method'. Worked a treat, never has my laptop been so quiet, you should have seen the dust that came out.

Win2Win
24th February 2005, 12:31
Make sure you have at least 20% free on the disk, and run something like Diskeeper that reorganises the paging files as well. Can take a while if it's never been done before though.

Workshy
24th February 2005, 12:33
That's why I downloaded it Keith, I saw it was number 1 on a lot of review sites. It just :censored: me off though will all the pop ups, I prefer one that's a little less in your face, even if that means sacrificing some security. As for norton that needs a computer to run itself, I don't know anyone who's computer it doesn't slow down (but I'm sure some will reply to this post :rolleyes: )

While I'm on the subject, my computer has got so damn slow lately and although I have downloaded quite a few programs, I don't think this should have done too much damage. I've got a P4 2.5Ghz, 512mb RAM, 40gb laptop and I downloaded a program the other day to try and use my RAM more efficiently, and although I haven't managed it, the program does tell me how much RAM is currently free, and there is always over half, no matter how slow my computer is running.

Even little things like now having to wait 3 seconds after clicking on IE before it opens instead of it popping straight up. I did a defrag a few days ago and that's not done much. My laptop has had a fairly clean install less than 2 months ago after a format so it doesn't make too much sense.

Any ideas would be appreciated... :(

Defrag? Check any unwelcome processes are using your cpu.

Phil
24th February 2005, 14:43
Defrag? Check any unwelcome processes are using your cpu.

Workshy, Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools> DISK DEFRAGMENTER

That's if your question mark meant you didnt know what it was :wiggle:

Win2Win
24th February 2005, 14:46
The XP one is only basic though, and just does the files, something like Diskeeper does everything on the disk, paging, hidden, etc I run mine every other night on 11 drives!!!

Phil
24th February 2005, 14:53
How do I know what cpu processes are meant to be there and which ones aren't. I have plenty and I'm almost certain that at least a quarter of them have more use for me than I do for them.

pcguide.exe is a definite ad I'm sure, nothing picks it up though.

lowe1
24th February 2005, 15:02
How do I know what cpu processes are meant to be there and which ones aren't. I have plenty and I'm almost certain that at least a quarter of them have more use for me than I do for them.

pcguide.exe is a definite ad I'm sure, nothing picks it up though.

phil to check your processes use this link this will tell you what every single process is for just type in the process title in the process libary search easy as that

tony

http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/hotkeyapp/

e55exboi
24th February 2005, 15:32
Fantastic site posted Lowe, ive always wanted to know a way of knowing which processes are needed and not

e55exboi
24th February 2005, 15:56
Hmm ive got a process calle Isass.exe which the site says is the Optix.pro virus that disables firewalls and stuff :yikes: Why does my AV not sort this?
On trying to terminate the process it says its a critical process which cant be ended

lowe1
24th February 2005, 16:06
Hmm ive got a process calle Isass.exe which the site says is the Optix.pro virus that disables firewalls and stuff :yikes: Why does my AV not sort this?
On trying to terminate the process it says its a critical process which cant be ended

if you try to delete any process it always comes up saying something like this might be critical do you want to end process , if you know it is a virus end anyway

or try to find files called isass or optix in your system and delete them and then delete issas if anything does go wrong use system restore

Win2Win
24th February 2005, 17:31
Be careful that some viruses to reside in system critical files, and deleting them is what it wants you to do so nothing works again.

rusko
24th February 2005, 17:51
Be careful with the "virus" you mention my reading of it is that if its spelt with a small i isass its a virus but if spelt with a capital I Isass its not and should not be deleted. Search google for it and you should come up with a definative answer.

Phil
24th February 2005, 18:05
:cryer Ive got a little L

I've known about this for a while, Ive downloaded special programs built just to remove this virus and still no luck. It used to turn my computer off in 60 seconds if I connected to the internet but it's eased off on me now. :rolleyes:

e55exboi
24th February 2005, 18:29
Its a capital Issas but says cannot end cos critical. Nothing is wrong with pc so if its a virus its doing much.
Researching this virus shows alot of speculation about it, basically is supposed to cause that shutdown problem which i had ages ago but fixed it, plus cause spyware problems which i dont have so chuff knows why its still in processes :doh

John
24th February 2005, 19:23
lsass.exe is listed in my processes too, doesn't actually appear to be doing anything though. In fact, I wouldn't have noticed it had you not brought up the subject.

MarcusMel
24th February 2005, 21:27
http://computercops.biz/postt13642.html

Lsass is legit Isass is not.

e55exboi
24th February 2005, 22:45
Turns out mines lsass.exe perfectly fine :pk1

bigcumba
24th February 2005, 23:49
just watch out for niceass.exe :yikes:

e55exboi
25th February 2005, 00:46
Ooh u are awful..butaliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiikehyu!! :D

bigcumba
25th February 2005, 09:04
Now you're showing your age mate! :yikes: :D

e55exboi
27th February 2005, 15:58
Rite im gonna get panda. Every time i use adaware, it seems to spring my AV into action aswell and finds a virus, which isnt a problem, quite a good thing but my AV doesnt repair anything.
1) Does Panda fix everything it finds?
2) Would titanium do or do i need platinum, is there really much difference?
Edit: Just noticed theyre out of stock anyway :mover

Win2Win
27th February 2005, 16:10
1) YES
2) Titanium includes Firewall & spyware software

e55exboi
27th February 2005, 16:14
Platininum is the most expensive one. Il just go titanium when they restock

Win2Win
27th February 2005, 16:24
An extra £2 isn't it!!

You can get it here, http://www.overclockers.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2eoverclockers%2eco%2euk%2facatalog%2fsearch%2ehtml&WD=oem%20panda&PREVQUERY=RANDOM%3dNETQUOTEVAR%253ARANDOM%26PAGE%3dSEARCH%26SS%3dpanda%2boem%26TB%3dA%26PR%3d%2d1%26GB%3dA&PN=Online_Catalogue_Anti_Virus___Security_Software_164%2ehtml%23aSW_2d000_2dPA#aSW_2d000_2dPA

The Internet Security one is the best

e55exboi
27th February 2005, 16:36
Thanks, i been googling for cheap but havent found it under £20 anywhere. £3.60 on that site! :yikes:

Win2Win
27th February 2005, 17:25
You could have used the link in Post 1!!!!!

e55exboi
27th February 2005, 17:33
I did use the link in post 1!!!!! Out of stock and more expensive!!!!

Phil
27th February 2005, 17:39
Try this...

http://froogle.google.co.uk/froogle?q=panda+titanium&btnG=Search+Froogle&scoring=p

e55exboi
27th February 2005, 17:45
Ordered it now Phil from last link Keith posted, cheapest there, went for platinum £10 inc postage. That froogle looks good though never heard of that

e55exboi
1st March 2005, 13:10
Right installed it now.
Firstly, on scanning it found absolutely nothing. I have trojans/worms in the quarantined in my other AV, would it not find these un less they were unquarantined? Also, do i need to uninstall windows firewall or just switch it off if im using the panda firewall?

e55exboi
1st March 2005, 14:36
Now uninstalled in safe mode as it completely :censored: my system!!

Win2Win
1st March 2005, 15:11
You have to make sure you have no other AV or Firewall (apart from XP) on your system anywhere, otherwise they clash. Load the firewall first after you've cleaned the system, you can ad the others later once that is working OK. Then next the AV, and then the others.

e55exboi
1st March 2005, 15:17
I cant do anything cos i need a username and password and when registering on the site, after putting the activation number, the next page that loads up is all in Spanish! :doh

KC*
1st March 2005, 19:32
I think they are more worried about those sharing loads of software rather than the downloaders

You are 100% correct, if an ISP receives a report of one of there customers downloading from a news server they will do nothing but if they receive a report of their customer using ie. sharing copyright material on a P2P service then the ISP will contact that customer and deal with them in their own way after all the ISP involved does not wished to be sued due to a customer of their's sharing copyright material.

KC

Win2Win
1st March 2005, 20:03
You need to register at http://www.pandasoftware.co.uk/partners/oem/index.htm & click Online Registrations. Thinks it's offline at the moment though.

e55exboi
1st March 2005, 20:40
It says i need to register to receive automatic updates. When registering a spanish error comes up, only i can get the update anyway cos it let me :doh Nothings ever straight forward with thes puters is it ;fire

e55exboi
2nd March 2005, 12:56
Loads more problems now. Firstly i had to turn firewall off to play xbox live, any idea how i configure that? Secondly i turned pc on today and absolutely nothing would open so restarted, still nothing opens, turn firewall back on then stuff opens :doh but still everything is 10 times slower than what it already was opening. Plus it keeps telling me every 5 minutes that its updated AGAIN a dn tells me to configure updates.

Win2Win
2nd March 2005, 12:59
You can try reading the instructions on the disk on how to configure the firewall. Easy though, just go to settings and, ALLOW the Xbox IP.

They have help FAQ's on the Panda site, never heard anyone else with similar problems though, and I know over 50 users of this software.

e55exboi
2nd March 2005, 13:08
Ive adjusted the settings to allow network adapters so that should do the trick. The faq's rarely have what your looking for, i think anti virus slows things down anyway cos its a big program. Do all your windows open and close (especially close) instantly? I mean you must have loads more stuff running than i have but then your pc is probably a 10g processor :yikes:

Win2Win
2nd March 2005, 13:21
No, and it doesn't slow my system down. I have a 3200 AMD64.

All known issues with SP2 have been fixed and it downloads the updates automatically.

e55exboi
2nd March 2005, 13:29
Well mine was up to date 2 years ago but seems pre-historic now at 1.3Ghz AMD

e55exboi
14th March 2005, 20:58
Sodding AV causes mayhem on my pc. In the middle of looking at tomorrows cards all of a sudden its says preparing for standby mode with a giant panda in the bottom right corner, then switches off :yikes:

Win2Win
14th March 2005, 22:07
The panda in the corner is the icon to inform you that your still protected, it doesn't do anything, and does not shut down your system.

Problems do occur when you have previously unistalled AV & firewalls, as your REGISTRY will be littered with leftovers you need to get rid of. I've forgotten the name of the software to do this though, but maybe GLOS, or someone else knows.

e55exboi
14th March 2005, 22:41
Ok. I know what the panda in the tray is, i meant on the big blue windows screen when its's saying saving settings usually excpet this time it was saying preparing for standby, and i meant giant panda as in the head was 5 times the size staring at me menacingly :laugh

Win2Win
14th March 2005, 23:28
I know which one your talking about, it's just to inform you it's still running, and if that was still running, it wasn't that which shut the system down. Panda does not have anyway of doing that.

I get the big head to when I shutdown :yikes: