PDA

View Full Version : Priest/Scorpions

Win2Win
17th March 2005, 12:32
So how was it Big Boy? :)

How long did they both play for?

bigcumba
17th March 2005, 13:04
Absoflippinlutely brilliant Keith! Priest were good enough to give the Scorps a full stage set up, and an hour on stage - they were fantastic and almost stole the show! All bar 2 songs were from 1984 and before and the new ones were really good as well, so it was a real classic set. As for Priest.... what can I say - Rob was on top form, prowling around the stage and screaming his heart out - he still hit the notes on Painkiller. A couple of new songs went down well, and a set full of the usual classics - started with the Hellion / Electric Eye, and went through things like Beyond The Realms of Death, A Touch Of Evil, Breakin The Law etc etc, and yep, The Harley came on for one of the encores - Hell Bent For Leather.... and they finished up with You Got Another Thing Comin. A 2 hour set from them, brilliant - still buzzing, or is that my ears? :D

bigcumba
22nd March 2005, 19:17
Your turn Keith - how was it for you :D

Win2Win
22nd March 2005, 19:24
Oo er gorgeous :)

Loud, loud, and LOUDER.....only just getting my hearing back to normal.

Accoustics are pretty crao in these small places, so I must remember to try and get near the front tickets at the NEC in future, but still a fantastic gig. Scorpions, as usual, were A1, and Priest, well Rob hasn't changed, not one for any fast movements on stage. You'd never notice if he had a wooden leg!!!

I thought Judas Rising was one of the best songs I've heard from them when I heard the album, and it was bloody good live as well.

Don't know if you notice with these gigs, me and my mate were talking about it, in the 80's you wouldn't see anyone with short hair at these gigs, now it's rare for someone with long hair!! Good to see grannies, grandads, and kids, their as well. Keep the generations happy.

bigcumba
23rd March 2005, 00:21
:D Glad to hear you enjoyed it mate! Judas Rising was brilliant live, and yes the lack of hair in the crowd is weird these days - I almost feel out of place! I wandered down the front a bit in London and it was loud - but crystal clear sound, the old Apollo has decent acoustics so no worries there - back in Scotland we have our own 'hangar' with crap sound at the SECC - sometimes it works but you need to wander around to find the spots where the sound is OK.

Rob knows how to work the crowd - one of the best frontmen around as is wee Klaus - and the voice - both of them still sounded amazing. Got a few more tickets to buy - Styx, Robin Trower, Dio, probably Alice Cooper / Twisted Sister as that's actually in Brighton - should be great seeing TS again, caught them in Edinburgh in 87 and they blew the roof off! Styx - been 25 years since they played here - came all the way down to Wembley for that and still remains one of my best ever gigs.

Win2Win
23rd March 2005, 09:31
DIO where??? I seen him when he warmed up for Hawkwind back in the 80's. I've got his latest DVD, and still sounds the same, if looking a little like Alice Cooper now :)

The problem with the venue was it was an old early 1900's theatre, so wasn't built for rock bands. The other venue in Manchester were Maiden played was much better, as that was more open.

I'm annoyed with Saxon as they are only doing about 8 UK gigs this year in the secong half. Although it was supposed to be earlier, but Biffs house in Europe burnt to the ground, so postponed them!!

Klaus is cool. I already have one DVD, but the wife loves Winds of Change, so I've just ordered the live one with the Berlin Orchestra in the background.

The way Priest plays the song list is a little weird, most bands woud do Breaking The Law, The Ripper, etc for the encore. Apart from the new album songs, he played in the same order as the 1980's video I have!

Win2Win
23rd March 2005, 09:36
Just found DIO playing Manchester 15.10.05 :) I'll be there. Be seeing Quo around that time as well.

sparkyminer
23rd March 2005, 11:35
Apart from the new album songs, he played in the same order as the 1980's video I have!
Are you sure you weren't actually watching the video on big screen and the band had all gone down t'pub. :wink :D

ScotsDave
27th March 2005, 22:48
Had athe ole' JP experience last night at the Glasgow aircraft hangar without a runway (aka SECC) - volume tremendous but to be honest enjoyed Scorps more than Priest - Wee Klaus was much better at getting the audience involved - Rob was a bit crap at that to be honest - had never seen them before like you guys (Keith and Big C) so maybe that is the way they do things. Sound was tremendous though, especially for SECC - trick is to stand at the front near the speakers it seems!!

Win2Win
28th March 2005, 08:45
Their aren't taht many bands that get the crowd involved, especially non-rocks bands. Best stage show come from the likes of Maiden, Alice Cooper, and even Ozzy is very good at getting the crowd going. He's the only one I know to get a response from the Japanese audience!!

Rob has always been like that, goto a Deep Purple concert, and they hardly move on the stage, but I go for the music.