PDA

View Full Version : piggy's sunday quiz

piggy
1st May 2005, 19:19
i'm giving this quiz in the pub tonight and you have to get 25 to win the money, do you think it's to hard?

1. Which property is paired with Mayfair on a standard UK Monopoly board?
2. Which part of the body is called a "Boat Race" in cockney rhyming slang?
3. In a molecule of Carbon Dioxide, how many atoms of Oxygen combine with one atom of Carbon?
4. Bratislava is the capital of which European country?
5. Which New York museum was designed by Richard Morris Hunt?
6. What first name connects Captain Mainwaring and Detective Carter of the Sweeney?
7. Who played the voice of Princess Fiona in Shrek?
8. What is added to white or bechamel sauce to make it "a la Mornay"?
9. John Hancock, now an American colloqualism for a signature, was the first person to sign what famous document?
10. Which foodstuff is advertised in 2005 with the slogan "You know the big dollop's right"?
11. What type of creature is a mudskipper?
12. What is the surname of the siblings Ross and Monica in "Friends"?
13. Which international sports team of the 1970s and 1980s had star performers nicknamed "Big Bird","Whispering Death" and "Master Blaster"?
14. Which eponymous film character uttered the immortal lines "Stupid is as stupid does" and "Life is like a box of chocolates"?
15. Who in the 2002 film "Blood Work" plays a retired detective with a new heart who hunts down the killer of his donor?
16. Which Premier League Club sacked a goalkeeper in 2002 and a striker in 2004, both for failing drugs tests?
17. Which US city, close to the Mexican border, has professional sports teams called Padres and Chargers, and is home to a world famous zoo?
18. Which woman was Time Magazine's "Man of the Year" in 1936?
19. What is the target score in a game of Blackjack?
20. What was the name of the Downing street cat that disappeared in 2000?
21. What was unusual about the month of February in Sweden in 1712?
22. What precisely was Tony Blair's famous incorrect spelling of the word Tomorow?
23. In Greek Myth, after being spurned by Narcissus, which heart-broken nymph pined away until only her voice remained?
24. Which Morse code letter is signified by four dots?
25. David Marks and Julia Barfield are responsible for which structure on the South Bank of the river Thames?
26. In a non leap year, if Christmas Day is on a Saturday, on what day of the week is New Years day?
27. What is a fromologist a collector of?
28. When laid first in a game of scrabble, what is the points value of the word "Quiz"?
29. How many letters are in a standard UK National Insurance number?
30. Bill Clinton and William Hague share which middle name?

mathare
1st May 2005, 19:29
Seems alright to me Piggy. I can do about half of them straight off the bat

bigcumba
1st May 2005, 20:10
Yep, that seems about the right level to me - a few easy ones and some tough ones as well - I got about half right away as well... some I'd need to think about, and a few I don't know

TheGoodGuy
1st May 2005, 23:18
Piggy,

Yeah, that seems pretty well balanced to me.....
Some easy, some toughish, and a few difficult that will sort out an overall winner.

One criticism/ question.....
In question 22, did you purposely spell 'tomorrow' incorrectly?

Also a word of advice....
When presenting a quiz in front of a live audience, don't include questions that contain an element of ambiguity that could provoke a reaction/argument, especially in a pub....

No.26....Some people will argue that New Year's Day is ALWAYS 7 days after Christmas Day, regardless of whether it's a leap year.
However you are most likely referring to the days occurring in the same year.
You 'll get some half cut smart :butthead: trying to be clever with questions like that! (ie. They were 'clever' enough to see through your 'trick' question.)

Ada. :)

GlosRFC
2nd May 2005, 00:38
I think the missus and I would be reasonably happy that we'd be in the money, probably 3-4 we wouldn't instinctively know but 2-3 of those we'd be able to have a reasonable guess at. A good standard of quiz on the whole.

Following up Ada's point about controversy, in Q29 do you mean letters or do you mean characters in total?

piggy
2nd May 2005, 17:29
if anyone wants to use it here are the answers

ANSWERS
1. Park Lane
2. Face
3. Two
4. Slovakia / Slovak Republic
5. Metropolitan
6. George
7. Cameron Diaz
8. Cheese
9. US Declaration of Independence
10. Hellman's Mayonnaise
11. Fish
12. Geller
13. West Indies cricket team - Joel Garner, Michael Holding and Sir Viv Richards
14. Forrest Gump
15. Clint Eastwood
16. Chelsea
17. San Diego
18. Wallis Simpson
19. 21
20. Humphrey
21. It had 30 days
22. T O O M O R R O W
23. Echo
24. H
25. British Airways London Eye