PDA

View Full Version : Racing Weights

mathare
20th July 2005, 10:08
I'm sure the answer to this is somewhere on the forum already but I am too lazy/busy to search for it.

How are the minimum and maximum weights for a race set? I ask because I am trying to fathom out the handicaps at Sandown tonight.

The top rated horse in the race carries maximum weight and then each horse below them carries less weight according to how much lower their rating is, right? So a 75 rated nag in a 0-75 handicap with max weight of 9st 5lb will carry 9st 5lb and a 73 rated nag will carry 9st 3lb, yeah?

The handicapper rates each horse I assume but who sets the max and min weights for each race and how do they decide on them?

Also I assume a 75 rated nag won't always carry 9st 5lb. If the max weight was 9st 7lb he'd carry that if his handicap mark was still 75 in a 0-75 handicap?

vegyjones
20th July 2005, 10:13
:doh Is my answer :D

Onlyforfun
20th July 2005, 11:47
Yes, but any penalties are added to the max weight, so if top rated is 75 and is allocated 9-5, then he will really carry 9-11. (shown as 9-11 (ex6) rated 75 on racecard, but 9-11(w6) rated 81 on results).

Minimum weight is minimum weight.

Maximum weights are defined in the race condition. In general its higher in Apprentice races and in maidens the colts carry 9-0 and fillies 8-9, although in 3yo+ there is normally a weight for age component aswell.

Clear as mud!

mathare
20th July 2005, 12:09
That helps me a bit, cheers OFF.

GlosRFC
20th July 2005, 12:36
This BHB link (http://www.britishhorseracing.com/inside_horseracing/media/2.5.4.1.1.asp?item=001941) might help too

Some of the more pertinent points are:

"The weight range for the race will be set out in the race conditions and in many cases will be from 8st 7lb to 9st 7lb, but will vary from race to race in order to provide opportunities for lightweight jockeys or to accommodate any weight-for-age allowance"

"All Flat Handicaps (other than Heritage Handicaps and two-year-olds’ races) for horses rated 46 and higher will be run as narrow-band handicaps with a 15lb weight range, except for races in Class 4, which will have a 10lb weight range."

"A limited number of high profile Heritage Handicaps - handicaps open to horses rated 0-105 or higher and with a Total Prize Fund of at least £50,000 - will continue to be run with their traditional long-band, wider weight ranges"

So the minimum weight for most races is going to be 15lb less than the top weight, except in Class 4 races when it will be 10lb less or Heritage Handicaps.

mathare
20th July 2005, 12:49
Cheers Glos - useful knowledge there