View Full Version : Ada's Friday Night General Knowledge Quiz #3

TheGoodGuy
26th August 2005, 23:11
Hi all...

Just a standard General Knowledge Quiz

RULES:
Just answer the questions!!

RED=SOLVED

1. Name the actors who played 'The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly'? CLINT EASTWOOD, LEE VAN CLEEF, ELI WALLACH
2. How many counters does a player start with in Backgammon? 15
3. In Germany, a motorway is called an 'autobahn'. What are they called in Italy? AUTOSTRADA
4. The Beatles' 'Penny Lane' was on one side of a Double-A. What was on the other side? STRAWBERRY FIELDS FOREVER
5. Which is the heaviest organ in the human body? SKIN
6. What is the connection between Cary Grant and 'A Fish Called Wanda'? ANSWER: John Cleese's character is called Archie Leach which is Cary Grant's real name
7. A sesquicentennial celebrates how many years? 150
8. Between which two cities is the shortest intercontinental commercial flight? GIBRALTAR AND TANGIER
9. Elvis Presley had a hit with a Carl Perkins song. Which one? BLUE SUEDE SHOES
10. Which is the only muscle in your body that is only attached at one end? TONGUE
11. In 1979, one person starred in the two biggest grossing films of the year: "Amityville Horror" and "Superman". Who? MARGOT KIDDER
12. We are familiar with A-4 size paper. What is the area of A-0 paper? 1 SQUARE METRE
13. London's Fleet Street runs from the Strand to Ludgate Circus and is fast becoming the former home of British journalism. What is it named after? ANSWER: The River Fleet which still flows under the street in the sewers
14. The Who had an entry in the Guinness Book of Records. What for? THE LOUDEST BAND, IN LONDON ON MAY 31 1976, 120 DECIBELS AT 50 YARDS
15. What is Borborygmus? YOUR STOMACH MAKING NOISES
16. From which movie does the following line come: "Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!" MONTY PYTHON & THE HOLY GRAIL
17. Who won the 1936 'Miss Hungary' title but had to give it up because she was under 16? ZSA ZSA GABOR
18. Cape York is the northernmost point of which country? AUSTRALIA
19. On which LP cover can we read the words: 'Welcome the Rolling Stones' and also see Snow White? SGT PEPPERS LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND
20. What is the chemical symbol for Ozone? O3

Good Luck

Ada.

GlosRFC
26th August 2005, 23:19
1. Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef, and Eli Wallach...in that order I believe :)
2. 15 I think....5, 3, 2, 5
3. Autostrada
4. Strawberry Fields?
5. Liver
9. Blue Suede Shoes
12. I'm not sure of the area size but it's the equivalent of 16 sheets of A4
14. Loudest noise at a rock concert I think
15. That's the noise your stomach makes when it gurgles...a great word :D
16. Eric Idle as a surf in Monty Python and the Holy Grail
17. Zsa Zsa Gabor?
20. o2

GlosRFC
26th August 2005, 23:21
Ha...just had a thought and 10 must be the tongue.

GlosRFC
26th August 2005, 23:22
19. Is that the cover of Sergeant Pepper?

GlosRFC
26th August 2005, 23:25
10. The missus disagree's....she insists that the tongue has an attachment at the tip called the frenulum (although sometimes I wish hers had a zip attachment :D) and so it must be my todger!

GlosRFC
26th August 2005, 23:32
03 for ozone???

And it's not the liver...so brain for next guess. Oh no, skin? Because there's a lot of it about so that must weigh a bit.

GlosRFC
26th August 2005, 23:35
With 12, do you want us to come up with the actual size in millimetres :yikes:

I really wouldn't have a clue without trying to multiply 8 lengths of A4 by 8 widths of A4 so I'll hazard a silly guess at this one, on the basis that the French like their metric measures to be based on an another metric measure....a square metre?

GlosRFC
26th August 2005, 23:36
Uh-oh, I'm in danger of turning into a Big C here :D

I'll take a break for a minute and let someone else answer a few!!

TheGoodGuy
26th August 2005, 23:43
Glos,

12. I need the area.....ie xx sq cm/m/km....so your 1 sq metre answer just happens to be correct....say no more.

Oh, by the way you're doing quite well on the quiz....well done....I expect a quick result for the sum as well, as it's you!!! :)

Ada.

GlosRFC
26th August 2005, 23:48
8. This should be obvious to work out really.

North America to Asia - so that's Anchorage to Vladivostok perhaps
North America to South America - San Diego to some place in Mexico
It's probably going to be Africa to Europe/Asia or Asia to Europe though. Casablanca to Lisbon for the first, Cairo to Baghdad for the second. As for the third, there's probably a lot of possibilities that I'll need to think through :(

GlosRFC
26th August 2005, 23:50
Haha, that was a really wild guess too!

And I did have a quick look at the sum and had second thoughts :yikes:

The film one is bugging me. I first thought of Gregory Peck until I remembered he was in the Omen and not Amityville. So then I thought of Brando but I can't remember if he was in Amityville either. So that leaves Margot Kidder (?) or else some guy who had a minute walk-on role in both films :D

GlosRFC
26th August 2005, 23:54
Right, I've gone back to the sum and tried to apply a bit of logic. I started by assuming that the E in Eighty was a 1 (yes, I know that's wrong but perserve with me) so that means the Y's must be 8 because 1+1+8+8 = 18. But then I realised my mistake as the E in Eighty as a T above it so it must be bigger than 1. Therefore Y = 1 and E = 8.

That's as far as I've got so far.

Merlin
26th August 2005, 23:54
6) Archie Leach , Grants ¨real¨ name
7) 150 years
13)Think its a river.....Fleet that is....
18) Oz

GlosRFC
26th August 2005, 23:57
Aha. So if the E in Eighty is an 8, that means the T might be a 7 with 1 carried over. Working on that (no doubt incorrect logic) the N's would be worth 6...7+7+6+6+ the 1 carried over = 27

So now we're carrying over a 2...and back I go to check the third column!

Merlin
27th August 2005, 00:00
8) Got to be Europe to North Africa......Gib to somewhere.....?

GlosRFC
27th August 2005, 00:01
Now, if I'm right so far, the O and the F can't be 0 because they're at the start of a row, and we know that N and T aren't 0, so it must be the W or the H or the G

GlosRFC
27th August 2005, 00:02
Gibraltar's not a city. I'm thinking of Ankara to somewhere....perhaps Athens?

TheGoodGuy
27th August 2005, 00:05
Merlin...

Getting warm with No.8

but hey...shoot the questionmaster as Gibraltar isn't a city...

Ada.

GlosRFC
27th August 2005, 00:05
If I assume that the W = 0, then the F has to be 9 so that we have enough numbers carried over (1) to add to the T (7) in order to make the E (8)

This is where I fear it's all going to go pear-shaped now!!!

GlosRFC
27th August 2005, 00:08
Grrrr...no matter where I put the remaining 3, 4, and 5 it doesn't add up!!!

Merlin
27th August 2005, 00:09
Its a City as far as the Spanish are concerned....:yikes:

TheGoodGuy
27th August 2005, 00:15
OK,
For the sake of getting this last remaining question out of the way....

Let's 'pretend' (for my sake, just for today...perlease) that Gibraltar is a city.

Now name the other CITY....and it definitely IS a city!!!!!!!!!

Ada. :spinning

Merlin
27th August 2005, 00:16
Algeria

TheGoodGuy
27th August 2005, 00:17
Merlin

No, not Algeria....

Ada.

Merlin
27th August 2005, 00:18
Morocco

GlosRFC
27th August 2005, 00:19
Is Tangiers a city??

I've buggered up the maths question....but I found some kind of CGI/Perl code that can calculate the results for you automatically :) http://bach.istc.kobe-u.ac.jp/puzzle/crypt/crypt.h

Now, if only my server allowed perl :(

GlosRFC
27th August 2005, 00:22
I like that one:

B U G
BI L L +
-------
GATES

GlosRFC
27th August 2005, 00:24
Still blowed if I can work it out though.

Anyway, good quiz :)

TheGoodGuy
27th August 2005, 00:24
That'll do...

The answer I was looking for was GIBRALTAR - TANGIER.

Apologies for misleading question....

QUIZ COMPLETE

I think I might move the sum to a new thread.....what do you think guys y/n?

Ada.

Merlin
27th August 2005, 00:25
Nice one A

GlosRFC
27th August 2005, 00:26
Marrakesh? Algiers?

I'm desperately trying to remember the capitals of the countries in North Africa.

GlosRFC
27th August 2005, 00:26
Yeah. Post it for Mathare to solve in five seconds in the morning :D

samantha1303
27th August 2005, 00:32
Well done Glos and Merlin, looks like I was a little late.