PDA

View Full Version : Channel 5 showdown - poker

TheOldhamWhisper
28th August 2005, 00:07
Second week of what looks to be an intriguing series - starts in around 15 mins.

Take 6 'wannabe reality TV stars' - interview them and then introduce them to poker! Explain the basic rules and let them play 10 hands - the chips they have at the end of the first 5 hands go through to the next week. The weekly 'winner' gets a free lesson from Dave Ulliott. Then, just to spice it up a little, add an online tournament qualifier to 'steal' some of their prizemoney each week!

presto
28th August 2005, 00:45
i would give my left nut to play high stakes against these lot.

i have never seen worse poker than this. :yikes:

TheOldhamWhisper
28th August 2005, 00:48
I reached the final on Sept 13 for my chance to do just that! Just need to finish in the top 2 in that event and I'll be taking up to 10k off them!

presto
28th August 2005, 00:50
GL for the final oldham.

TheOldhamWhisper
3rd September 2005, 23:54
Week 3 commences in 5 mins.

silax
5th September 2005, 14:23
whats happening then oldham

TheOldhamWhisper
5th September 2005, 15:00
Neither of the first two internet 'experts' managed to take down the 'beginners' - first guy didn't have a clue! To give him his due, the cards were not falling for him and the beginners were playing absolutely anything - it was more like watching a lottery!

The second guy waited til 3 had eliminated themselves and the made some good plays (and laydowns!) but got done heads up when he matched up for top pair only to find the other guy had trips Kings!

I'll be playing to try to secure a place on the 13th but have been watching each show intently - if I do make it, I already have 3 or 4 sussed out!

TheOldhamWhisper
11th September 2005, 01:10
An internet qualifier finally takes some money out of the pot - looked like a nice fella - originally from Oldham! :D

Iron Chris
11th September 2005, 11:54
An internet qualifier finally takes some money out of the pot - looked like a nice fella - originally from Oldham! :D

Watched some of it last night as well Oldham, he did well to take some of the money. I may be a novice myself but thought that there was some strange play from some of them at times, especially not raising with AK and then getting beat. Pride & personal battles seemed to take preference over sensible play with some of them?

piggy
11th September 2005, 11:57
looks like i might be joining you oldham , i came 12th last night and complained to UB that yanks and canuks finishing in top 10 where keeping us brits out and they have emailed me back saying if i finished in top 10 brits i get a place at final table :D

TheOldhamWhisper
11th September 2005, 11:59
looks like i might be joining you oldham , i came 12th last night and complained to UB that yanks and canuks finishing in top 10 where keeping us brits out and they have emailed me back saying if i finished in top 10 brits i get a place at final table :D

See you in the finals then :)

TheOldhamWhisper
11th September 2005, 12:06
...I may be a novice myself but thought that there was some strange play from some of them at times, especially not raising with AK and then getting beat. Pride & personal battles seemed to take preference over sensible play with some of them?

They have been playing poker for exactly 3 weeks - admittedly with some help from Dave Ulliot and Annie Duke - and some of them barely know the rules! There are a few personality clashes emerging and I am finding the program quite entertaining but it's not gonna go down in the annals of great poker tournaments!

Profit Seeker
11th September 2005, 13:19
Watched it too, and blow me if that Liv isn't the single most gorgeous poker girl in the world!!! I was mesmerised by her alone, stuff the cards, then she cried at the end :doh And a lovely toffy accent aswell, mmmmmmmmmmmmm, bet she's dirty!! :D

daveymck
11th September 2005, 18:11
Watched it too, and blow me if that Liv isn't the single most gorgeous poker girl in the world!!! I was mesmerised by her alone, stuff the cards, then she cried at the end :doh And a lovely toffy accent aswell, mmmmmmmmmmmmm, bet she's dirty!! :D

She is playing the odd tournament at the gutshot in London if you plan on stalking her.

GlosRFC
11th September 2005, 18:33
Aha! I caught a bit of this last night and was quite staggered at the naivety of the play. If they were supposed to be professional players, they must have pretty big bankrolls to squander was my first thought.

Profit Seeker
11th September 2005, 19:27
She is playing the odd tournament at the gutshot in London if you plan on stalking her.
What's her full name? If I'm gonna start my stalking career I may aswell start with a bit of web research :D

piggy
13th September 2005, 12:15
i'm in so i'll see you tonight oldham should be interesting with only 200 instead of the usual thousands slightly different tactics methinks.

TheOldhamWhisper
13th September 2005, 18:16
GL Piggy - hope we don't meet til the final table :)

markwales
13th September 2005, 19:29
Just re-downloaded software so I can watch the action....in between watching the football!